Guidance for a newbie audiophile
Aug 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jonnibravo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Ive always loved music but over the years I plumped for heavy bass sounding headphones but now I'm looking to take advantage of my HTC 10 hi res dac and utilise my pcs £200 sound card. My budget is £200-300 I would like some bass but I really want to experience as much of the instruments as if possible with a set of entry level headphones as Is possible. What would you recommend.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi all,

Ive always loved music but over the years I plumped for heavy bass sounding headphones but now I'm looking to take advantage of my HTC 10 hi res dac and utilise my pcs £200 sound card. My budget is £200-300 I would like some bass but I really want to experience as much of the instruments as if possible with a set of entry level headphones as Is possible. What would you recommend.

Are you looking for something mobile? If not, I tried out the AKG k553 and very much enjoyed them. Good mid bass, but not too much. Coming from mid-range to low grade consumer headphones they will sound very,very bass light at first, but over time your ears will adjust. Very good clarity and instrument separation. Can be easily driven by a phone, and have a nice long cord. Only problem is that they are massive and not portable at all.

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks could be good for home watching some on eBay now for 50 but yes I need something more portable for the phone when I'm about and about any suggestions?

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks could be good for home watching some on eBay now for 50 but yes I need something more portable for the phone when I'm about and about any suggestions?

Well you could go low grade audiophile or high grade consumer, leading to medium grade audiophile either way.

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 9
HiFiHeadphones are doing a great price on Soundmagic HP100s, only £100. Normally retail for around £150-190. Don't let the low price fool you, these are seriously good closed back headphones. Super comfy too. They have wonderful full accurate sounding bass which can go really low in sub bass and great punch in mid bass, it never dominates the sound or bleeds into the mids. The rest of the frequency is quite flat, possibly a tiny bit V shaped. The detail in the mids and highs is incredible, microdetails galore so you are hearing guitars, pianos, strings etc so clearly and realistically. Soundstage is decent for closed back, depth is great. Quite 3D so instrument placement is accurate. They are also very musical and so much fun to listen too. I've tried every genre with them and they've never disappointed.

I've had Sennheiser HD 650, AKG K550, Grado sr80e and the Soundmagic HP100s are better than all of them for sheer musicality and detail retrieval. Just check out the reviews.

A good AMP and source would get even more out of them. i find that jumping up the price scale doesn't always mean huge leaps in quality. I've had IEMs around £200-250 being outperformed or equalled by sets at £100

EDIT : Spelling

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 9
I generally use eat buds but recently I have had sennheiser HD 202 and skull candy grind wireless, I really want to move to some over ear with noise cancellation to maximize sound.

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 9
These are excellent for the money: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nad-NADNADHP50BLK-NAD-HP50-Headphones/dp/B00E1UVXHO/. They fold flat and have a case to slide them into that works for carrying in messenger bags or back pack. They are very easy to drive with portable devices.

Here is a good review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 9
I generally use eat buds but recently I have had sennheiser HD 202 and skull candy grind wireless, I really want to move to some over ear with noise cancellation to maximize sound.

Noise cancellation is not going to maximize sound just the opposite. It will take the sound from the outside and introduce sounds that cut them out along with the music your listening to also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back