GTA/Toronto Meet - May 28 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #32 of 43
Posted 
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #33 of 43
 Hey I got photos as well :p

Confirmed! Just bumped cs098's pics from Page 2...be nice to have some captions identifying equipment. I thought that large tubed amp in the first pic was the Exstata but I see a dynamic phone plugged into it ?  

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #34 of 43
Hmm I tried labeling as many components form the pics as possible, but I don't remember the name of every dac and amp from the meet.

Btw that tube amp is my Woo audio 6, outfitted with a psvane we274b replica and a pair of fat bottle 6fd7s.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #35 of 43
It was great seeing everyone again, and especially making ambchang finally enjoy the HD800.

For anyone interested in building a wire, here is a link to where you can get more info.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=The_Wire_-_All_Boards_and_Kits_Explained_Here

I find the really fine resolving resolving bacxkend transducers to be like a really wide window.... You can see (hear) a lot more but all the extra fine dust and dirt is annoying. In the case of digital audio, I am finding that the incoming AC (or USB power )can be the equivalent of dust giving rise to a harshness /brightness or highlighting. Some may mistake this for more detail but long term listening will have it gnaw at you. Ridding the contaminants initially is a subtle process that becomes obvious when you try to revert back to the old setup without those measures. Henry's setup used a USB hub from Schiit (The Wyrd) to clean up the incoming power/data stream to the Hegel DAC. Ask him about not having it in and I bet his answer would mirror some of your previous complaints about the HD-800...I think this is even more true of transistor amplification.

Hmm I tried labeling as many components form the pics as possible, but I don't remember the name of every dac and amp from the meet.

Btw that tube amp is my Woo audio 6, outfitted with a psvane we274b replica and a pair of fat bottle 6fd7s.

Thanks...it is going to help me plan on what gear to listen to when Bryan brings the "whole candy store" to taste!!!

Be nice to see some of those pics taken through the Zeiss lens mounted on the Sony A7.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #36 of 43
I find the really fine resolving resolving bacxkend transducers to be like a really wide window.... You can see (hear) a lot more but all the extra fine dust and dirt is annoying. In the case of digital audio, I am finding that the incoming AC (or USB power )can be the equivalent of dust giving rise to a harshness /brightness or highlighting. Some may mistake this for more detail but long term listening will have it gnaw at you. Ridding the contaminants initially is a subtle process that becomes obvious when you try to revert back to the old setup without those measures. Henry's setup used a USB hub from Schiit (The Wyrd) to clean up the incoming power/data stream to the Hegel DAC. Ask him about not having it in and I bet his answer would mirror some of your previous complaints about the HD-800...I think this is even more true of transistor amplification.

Have you had a chance to try something like the Doodlebug? It's a USB power regulator and data isolator. I can lend you mine if you'd like.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #37 of 43
Here's some from my awesome camera.... the phone.

HD800 meet + HD800s

AK120ii

Look at that gorgeous cable by primenexus

primenexus' stack.

what a treat. charliex's Sennheisher HE60, Baby Orpheus

Stax SR007

+ matching amp.

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #38 of 43
Have you had a chance to try something like the Doodlebug? It's a USB power regulator and data isolator. I can lend you mine if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer....I will probably contact you via PM about the interconnect parts(plugs and bare wire) and if you can live without your Doddlebug for a while, I will borrow it just to peg it. At the moment, I am using a passive USB cable designer by a friend that is quite an improvement over a stocxk USB cable and has not left me wanting. I actually have an Audioquest Dragonfly ( that I think is overrated) and am aware of these these data regenerators (I.e. Jitterbug, Regen, Wyrd) and their associated power regulators integral to the USB spec. Not surprisingly, the idea that power supplies can have an influence on USB powered DACs is well trodden territory borrowed from the aftermarket mod market services amps and preamps. The modularity of the USB plug maks a plug and play operation for those who do not solder. It is as ripe as the hugely successful cable market.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #39 of 43
I took a few photos, I thought I would take more. Glad everyone liked my broken cable collection.

Glad I heard the HD800S and sr007 and learned I prefer my HD800  once I get my cables fixed.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #40 of 43
  Hey I got photos as well :p

Grado hp-1000, ether C, woo audio 6 and Sony hap-s1

....thanks for these photos....some were a little dark....try the Picasa organizer/editor....free from the folks at Google

Here's some from my awesome camera.... the phone.

HD800 meet + HD800s

I really like the detail in your closeups !

I took a few photos, I thought I would take more. Glad everyone liked my broken cable collection.

Glad I heard the HD800S and sr007 and learned I prefer my HD800  once I get my cables fixed.

Nice mix of shots....even one of me. Cheers.

I had Ross bring down his Code-X a few days back and we managed to make his intermittent co-axial connections to his headphones pretty solid....It's all in the wrist and how you twist :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #42 of 43
Just wanted to say that all attendees had the spiffiest looking pre-printed "Head-Fi" name tags at this meet courtesy of Jerry

There were also some good ideas taken up at some of the listening stations were print outs of specifications and equipment brochures could be read should a setup speak to you. I like the idea of having a repair/soldering station at all future meets for simple repairs...as some of the attendees have relevant expertise.

The traditional Jecklin head shots were absent...not enough rum, I guess :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back