GS1000i - okay, now I get it!
Mar 23, 2009 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
...listening to Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no.2 with Yefim Bronfman on piano backed by The Philharmonia (Salonen conducting). These 'phones sound incredible!! I've been listening to them for about three weeks now as I've been ripping my entire cd collection into iTunes and there have been "ah-ha" moments before but mostly "yeah, these headphones are okay". Holy cow, the orchestral crescendos, the string texture, the brass exuding "resonating air", the felt-on-wood hammer striking the piano strings, the dimensions of the hall...I'm hearing it all like I'm THERE...and this isn't even a "technically wonderful" recording (from a sound standpoint...Bronfman doesn't have technique problems!).

So, I guess I'm finally a believer...these 'phones do possess some magic. We'll see what the WA6SE brings to the picture later this week when it gets here.

I've actually enjoyed quite a bit of Rock on the GS1000i as well. "Lakini's Juice" off Live's "Secret Samadhi" has incredible energy and drive to it. I don't have enough time on these to come to any real conclusions, but so far I feel good about owning them.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 17
Probably the Gilmore Lite as the Woo Audio is on order.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 17
With less than 24 hours with my gs-1000i I have to agree there is some magic. Never has (recorded) classical sounded so good to my ears. The vivid detail and life-like sound from stringed instruments (including piano) is stunning.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 17
Glad to hear it all came together for you.

When the GS1K comes alive between the source, music piece, and amp, it's something special. Yes, this usually involves classical for me also, but rock, folk, and acoustic jazz are also great on these phones.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 17
Glad to hear that these are working out great for you. Personally.. I would have waited for the PS-1000s.

I'm also planning on purchasing a WA6 SE. What DAC are you planning to use?

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 17
I loved my GS-1000 for classical but had to sell as can hardly ever use an open phone

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 17
Hehe. Glad you like it. Seems the GS1000 is either love or hate and it pretty much depends on the music that one listens to whether one will like it or not!

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...listening to Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no.2 with Yefim Bronfman on piano backed by The Philharmonia (Salonen conducting). These 'phones sound incredible!! I've been listening to them for about three weeks now as I've been ripping my entire cd collection into iTunes and there have been "ah-ha" moments before but mostly "yeah, these headphones are okay". Holy cow, the orchestral crescendos, the string texture, the brass exuding "resonating air", the felt-on-wood hammer striking the piano strings, the dimensions of the hall...I'm hearing it all like I'm THERE...and this isn't even a "technically wonderful" recording (from a sound standpoint...Bronfman doesn't have technique problems!).

So, I guess I'm finally a believer...these 'phones do possess some magic. We'll see what the WA6SE brings to the picture later this week when it gets here.

I've actually enjoyed quite a bit of Rock on the GS1000i as well. "Lakini's Juice" off Live's "Secret Samadhi" has incredible energy and drive to it. I don't have enough time on these to come to any real conclusions, but so far I feel good about owning them.

I'm glad you like 'em. Maybe I heard a crappy version of em.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS1000i? Sorry about your wallet, bro.

Luckily I'm new to the stuff, so I get nice reactions out of $100-ish cans.

Which amp are you using?

As guessed below, it's the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite...quite a nice little amp!

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear that these are working out great for you. Personally.. I would have waited for the PS-1000s.

I'm also planning on purchasing a WA6 SE. What DAC are you planning to use?

I received the GS1000i 'phones two days before the announcement of the PS1000...I had no idea they were coming. I'm not sure I would have waited though. I got a great deal on the brand new pair of GS 'phones and for the difference between the GS and PS I'll probably be able to pick up a pair of HD800's once the firestorm dies down. I think I'd prefer having the 800's for contrast vs. the PS.

I'm using my Cambridge 840C as both my CDP and DAC for my iMac. Once the WA6SE gets here I'll snap some pictures...the basement setup has really come together nicely.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you like 'em. Maybe I heard a crappy version of em.

Believe me, I'm still very nervous about the stories of GS 'phones falling apart and breaking after short amounts of time. But, for the time being they are really proving themselves.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #15 of 17
I bought mine used with about one year on them and I had them for almost a year and had no problem with them hanging from the headband on a hook when not in use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back