GS Audio Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #557 of 1,414
Received the GS SD9 yesterday played with the tips they are FANTASTIC
I HAVE been involved with Audio for over 50 years if I had one complaint it is and I can’t believe I’m saying this.
They may have too much detail.
But I can live with that.
My set up was Umidigi A7S Android
E1DA9038S Gen 3 Susum with Orange MH755 ear tips.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #559 of 1,414
I HAVE been involved with Audio for over 50 years if I had one complaint it is and I can’t believe I’m saying this.
I'm glad they're working out for you. The SD9 has my favorite FR curve of any of their sets currently available. If I had the spare cash to spend on it, that would definitely be my next purchase.

Aug 28, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #560 of 1,414
Akros has said that GD3A and B are using Sonion and Knowles drivers in his reviews. I think there may be a different driver loadout between the two, though, rather than just different tuning of the same drivers.

The average retail price of Starsea is $129. The pricing for the GD3A has settled at $86. I would rather see the lower priced IEMs stay without switches if the price has to be increased to incorporate them.
He is wrong about that, they clearly told me they are using a custom driver for the treble, which is most likely a bellsing driver. Although they do have a sonion for the mids.
(GD3A)

Aug 28, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #561 of 1,414
If my GT12 shows up and turns out to be another successful IEM, I might order the SE8 and change my handle to tgs78 😝
I love mine, well balanced sound without any big peaks. Plenty of details, good layering and great imaging. She's not perfect but at it's price point there is not much that can even compete with it.

Aug 28, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #562 of 1,414
I was not talking about retail price but more of manufacturing cost for both, but that will be nice to have Knowles/Sonion from the the GD’s entry models.

My point is also based on the assumption that GS Audio kept same price offering with additional value addition with switches, and I thought it is feasible taking example of Starsea, they could sell at $93. KBEAR/Tri is not ODM like GS audio, they are fabless, which means they will need to incorporate contribution margins to ODM factories, so the taking both Tri /GS Audio into those Bill of Material cost structure analysis, they are fairly close.

My view point is they are both feasible to produce similar line ups with $80-90 range, with 2+1, knowles/sonion, and with tuning switches.

Actually unlike Starsea, GD3 already has product differentiation with A/B/C going on with different tuning, so I don’t think they’d ever add switches to those model anyway, it’s contradictory.

Aug 28, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #563 of 1,414
I was not talking about retail price but more of manufacturing cost for both, but that will be nice to have Knowles/Sonion from the the GD’s entry models.

My point is also based on the assumption that GS Audio kept same price offering with additional value addition with switches, and I thought it is feasible taking example of Starsea, they could sell at $93. KBEAR/Tri is not ODM like GS audio, they are fabless, which means they will need to incorporate contribution margins to ODM factories, so the taking both Tri /GS Audio into those Bill of Material cost structure analysis, they are fairly close.

My view point is they are both feasible to produce similar line ups with $80-90 range, with 2+1, knowles/sonion, and with tuning switches.

Actually unlike Starsea, GD3 already has product differentiation with A/B/C going on with different tuning, so I don’t think they’d ever add switches to those model anyway, it’s contradictory.
In my experience, switches have very minor changes. It wont turn it into a different iem. If you want a way to have configurable settings, filters is the way to go IMO.

Aug 28, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #564 of 1,414
In my experience, switches have very minor changes. It wont turn it into a different iem. If you want a way to have configurable settings, filters is the way to go IMO.
Yea same impression on switches, not sure if it’s physically limited to 1-2db ish very minor changes or it was designed to be that, if later I do hope they make more evident changes like 5db ish.

Aug 28, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #565 of 1,414
Yea same impression on switches, not sure if it’s physically limited to 1-2db ish very minor changes or it was designed to be that, if later I do hope they make more evident changes like 5db ish.
Its probably limited. The way switches works is by adding/decreasing the resistance, and if they use BAs, that will have FR changes.
The changes in resistance however, is very minor, which is why the changes are also very minor.

Although if they decided to have switches add 20, 50 or 80ohm extra, then we might see more drastic changes. (but that would obviously make it harder to drive as well.)

For bigger changes, filters is the way to go with.
(or changing the crossover, like the NF Audio NE4.)

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #566 of 1,414
Its probably limited. The way switches works is by adding/decreasing the resistance, and if they use BAs, that will have FR changes.
The changes in resistance however, is very minor, which is why the changes are also very minor.

Although if they decided to have switches add 20, 50 or 80ohm extra, then we might see more drastic changes. (but that would obviously make it harder to drive as well.)

For bigger changes, filters is the way to go with.
(or changing the crossover, like the NF Audio NE4.)
That might be the switch issues GS Audio rep was talking about…only a minor changes, so I couldn’t be a big use if the IEM is tuned back to neutral.

Some IEMs like ST10, have drastic change with an intension, and switches are no use to tuning to those then.

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #567 of 1,414
That might be the switch issues GS Audio rep was talking about…only a minor changes, so I couldn’t be a big use if the IEM is tuned back to neutral.

Some IEMs like ST10, have drastic change with an intension, and switches are no use to tuning to those then.
Switches are mostly there to allow people to change it a bit more towards their preference, whether it is a little bit less or more treble.

But it wont change the overall profile, from a neutral to say a V-shaped iem.

Aug 28, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #568 of 1,414
I'm glad to hear this! My customized SD9 is on the way.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #569 of 1,414
Switches are mostly there to allow people to change it a bit more towards their preference, whether it is a little bit less or more treble.

But it wont change the overall profile, from a neutral to say a V-shaped iem.
How about the A7? Doesn't it change from neutral to V-shaped with a single switch? (With the black nozzles)

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #570 of 1,414
How about the A7? Doesn't it change from neutral to V-shaped with a single switch? (With the black nozzles)
That one is an exception. :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back