GS Audio Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #361 of 1,414
E9DBA049-D01D-4E13-8363-47A215AA53E2.jpeg
B89AEB95-2922-4EBD-B1E7-8AC685CD9F05.jpeg

It’s here! A shell is much smaller than SE11 and super comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #362 of 1,414
So I am the crazy fool that gambled at the unknown, figured if anything this works as a few nice gifts when the holidays comes around like every year. I never really delved that deep into iems before and I never heard any all BA setups so I figured try this out as a demo and if I like their stuff I can try out a SD one later down the road.

I have never measured anything before, so yeah I can do that. Certainly I will not post anything till I even figure out how to use the silly thing and if I can get any decent looking results out like the others are doing first.

Short impressions
ST8B/ST10 shell is rather large for my small ears

While it is comfortable while wearing it, I have not notice much driver flex and the pressure building up for me. After a few hours, my ears did become a bit sore, so mileage may very on the fit.

ST8B
Soundstage is moderately large. Not a airy profile.
The over all sound profile appears to be mostly balanced or trebled rolled off neutral. The nothing is really over empowering another segment, but some instruments just sound a bit off missing a bit of the treble energy that you are normally accustomed to.

There was no noticeable bass bleed. Technical wise it is astounding for what I have tried so far.

ST10
The sound profile is probably balanced to neutral bright.
Take everything from the ST8B move everything up a notch. It has the missing treble energy that I was missing from before.
Looking forward to your comparison!

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #364 of 1,414
C6A68AD0-862E-4E4E-8651-B104B3C8930B.jpeg
GD3A vs SE11
The GD3A is definitely more V shaped to the SE11's more reference with slight treble gain. Definitely nice to see them overlaid like that.

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #365 of 1,414
The GD3A is definitely more V shaped to the SE11's more reference with slight treble gain. Definitely nice to see them overlaid like that.
Yes, GD3A is a bit too v-shaped for my liking, but I will keep experiment with different sources.

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #366 of 1,414
Still in-transit, I’m expecting next week, but I will be on vacation, the impression will be most likely following the week after
Did you request any mods or did you go with the stock config for resin color, faceplate, nozzle, and connector?

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #367 of 1,414
Yes, GD3A is a bit too v-shaped for my liking, but I will keep experiment with different sources.
Tip rolling will also be beneficial. I'm not sure about the dual-bore nozzle on the GD3A, but my GD7B is pretty sensitive to anything encroaching on the bore size, so using a larger or smaller bore tip or foam vs. silicone makes a huge difference. You might even consider rolling some foams onto your SE11 to boost their bass response a bit, though it'll probably end up rolling off the treble unless you're using some foams with a full silicone bore sleeve. Another bonus to using foams instead of stock is that you can step the IEM shell away from your ears a bit, which can help with IEMs that are a bit too large for comfortable long-term listening sessions. Since they use the over-ear loop cable config, it's not like you need to worry overmuch about them falling out either. I've found that if you really jam them on there until they go past the usual retention ridge within the bore and end up with a fitment very like the stock tips, you can use the Sony Triple Comfort tips to great effect to slightly boost bass without as much of the treble rolloff issue that usual foams have.

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #369 of 1,414
So I am the crazy fool that gambled at the unknown, figured if anything this works as a few nice gifts when the holidays comes around like every year. I never really delved that deep into iems before and I never heard any all BA setups so I figured try this out as a demo and if I like their stuff I can try out a SD one later down the road.

I have never measured anything before, so yeah I can do that. Certainly I will not post anything till I even figure out how to use the silly thing and if I can get any decent looking results out like the others are doing first.

Short impressions
ST8B/ST10 shell is rather large for my small ears

While it is comfortable while wearing it, I have not notice much driver flex and the pressure building up for me. After a few hours, my ears did become a bit sore, so mileage may very on the fit.

ST8B
Soundstage is moderately large. Not a airy profile.
The over all sound profile appears to be mostly balanced or trebled rolled off neutral. The nothing is really over empowering another segment, but some instruments just sound a bit off missing a bit of the treble energy that you are normally accustomed to.

There was no noticeable bass bleed. Technical wise it is astounding for what I have tried so far.

ST10
The sound profile is probably balanced to neutral bright.
Take everything from the ST8B move everything up a notch. It has the missing treble energy that I was missing from before.
Great! Yea bright-neutral is what I’m expecting with a hint of slight V.
I have Anole VX which is mostly neutral with a hint of sibilance around 9khz, ST10 will be an interesting addition to the 10BA portfolio.

GS Audio mentioned “we targeted a great sense of sound stage for ST10, thats why you are seeing elevated treble.” And your comment makes sense to confirm that statement👍

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #370 of 1,414
"More so prelim preliminary preference lining up to be ST10>ST6A>ST8B
I haven't tried the others yet"

From @gallappago in my discord server.

Seems like the treble on the ST8B might holding it back.
1628355330320.png

Since its so similar to the GD11...

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #371 of 1,414
GD3A

Starting with the bass. Man this DD is fast, smooth, tight, and extended. It is quite detailed and well-textured, conveying plenty of information. Impact-wise the bass is medium on the grand scale, about similar in quantity as the QT-9 mkII, but slightly less than the Penon Globe. Balance between mid to sub-bass is great and gives more full-bodied presentation. Bass is also very quick - I sometimes get the feeling that GD3A’s bass is tuned like vented BAs but on steroids lol. PRaT is great and feels like the GD3A could reproduce several different rhythmic passages simultaneously and never miss a beat. Midrange detail and clarity are close to the Globe, but vocals have better air and a dimensional quality to the Globe that Penon lacks which has a thicker and denser presentation. The treble is best described as being “sweet and delicate”, but not excessively so. The GD3A definitely sparkle at the high end before rolling off just before my hearing ability drops off. Treble smoothness is top notch - harshness and sibilance are nearly imperceptible even on flawed recordings. Resolution and imaging are both above average. Soundstaging is about average - it doesn’t quite have the lateral width of the SE11, height of the Z1R, depth of the 3DT, but we are talking about the sub-$100 IEM here. GD3A has very decent staging for its asking price and it’s best tuned sub-$100 IEM I’ve ever heard.

I will compare it to the GK10 should it arrives next week as scheduled.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #372 of 1,414
GD3A

Starting with the bass. Man this DD is fast, smooth, tight, and extended. It is quite detailed and well-textured, conveying plenty of information. Impact-wise the bass is medium on the grand scale, about similar in quantity as the QT-9 mkII, but slightly less than the Penon Globe. Balance between mid to sub-bass is great and gives more full-bodied presentation. Bass is also very quick - I sometimes get the feeling that GD3A’s bass is tuned like vented BAs but on steroids lol. PRaT is great and feels like the GD3A could reproduce several different rhythmic passages simultaneously and never miss a beat. Midrange detail and clarity are close to the Globe, but vocals have better air and a dimensional quality to the Globe that Penon lacks which has a thicker and denser presentation. The treble is best described as being “sweet and delicate”, but not excessively so. The GD3A definitely sparkle at the high end before rolling off just before my hearing ability drops off. Treble smoothness is top notch - harshness and sibilance are nearly imperceptible even on flawed recordings. Resolution and imaging are both above average. Soundstaging is about average - it doesn’t quite have the lateral width of the SE11, height of the Z1R, depth of the 3DT, but we are talking about the sub-$100 IEM here. GD3A has very decent staging for its asking price and it’s best tuned sub-$100 IEM I’ve ever heard.

I will compare it to the GK10 should it arrives next week as scheduled.
That DD speed/tightness very much reminds me of a BA driver rather than DD, but with DD texture/air. :thumbsup:

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #374 of 1,414
Yes, I agree. I wonder what diaphragm composition they are using.
Do you suspect they are using the same DD for all their iems? (GD3A and GD11 might be the same DD at least.)

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #375 of 1,414
Do you suspect they are using the same DD for all their iems? (GD3A and GD11 might be the same DD at least.)
Yes I wouldn’t be surprised. SE11 DD has a similar visual appearance. Obviously crossover network is different so amplitude differs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back