GS-1000 with bowls compared to RS-1, PS-1...
Feb 3, 2009 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

XXII

Headphoneus Supremus
I find that using (regular) bowls with the GS-1000 deals with many problems with the recessed midrange + sibilance (and changes the sound signature quite a bit making it more "Grado-like"). Has anyone compared its sound to the RS-1 and/or PS-1?

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 28
I'll let you know when I get my GS1000 and MS-Pro. Hopefully, I'll get them in a week or two... the waiting game is painful.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

I'll let you know when I get my GS1000 and MS-Pro. Hopefully, I'll get them in a week or two... the waiting game is painful.

I'm the exact same situation with the gs1000
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that using (regular) bowls with the GS-1000 deals with many problems with the recessed midrange + sibilance

They're only problems if you haven't read the manual
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

I know you are referring to low volume listening
wink.gif
. My opinion is that the ability to use bowls with the Gs-1000 adds extra versatility.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 28
Mine are also on their way.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 28
Hmm... I absolutely don't like them with bowls. It's like they loose all their detail; bass and midrange smears the sound; soundstage gets lost... nah... not worth it. Also they sound somehow... just... wrong.

I even prefer the HF-1 with jumbos to the GS-1000 with bowls.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 28
Putting bowls on a GS-1000 essentially turns them into RS-1's. We compared this very thing at a mini-meet a couple of years ago. Aside from the "mushroom outer lip", the wood cups are the same depth.

I guess you can also extrapolate that putting GS-1000 pads on an RS-1 turns them into GS1k's (I don't think we actually tried that).

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Putting bowls on a GS-1000 essentially turns them into RS-1's. We compared this very thing at a mini-meet a couple of years ago. Aside from the "mushroom outer lip", the wood cups are the same depth.

I guess you can also extrapolate that putting GS-1000 pads on an RS-1 turns them into GS1k's (I don't think we actually tried that).

Hehe... would be _really_ cool if someone could give this a try.

But are you sure that RS-1's have the same amount of bass? Imho the GS-1000 are quite bass-heavy. Besides that shouldn't the GS-1000 have newly developed drivers?

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 28
G-1000+bowls=RS1=humbug!

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Agreed LOL

While bowls eliminate some issues with a poorly matched system, they also eliminate the "magic" of a properly matched system and GS-1000.

Get the RS-1s or PS-1s if you want to use bowls.

~~

It's funny how the "low volume listening" has really taken hold. All because Tyll tried it out of one of his unGrado friendly amps. I'd want to listen at low volumes too. Certain systems will make the GS-1000 fall flat on it's face and be a pain to listen to.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 28
After some more listening to the GS-1000 with bowls I think they don't sound that bad I initially thought. It was just quite awkward at the beginning.

Imo they truly have the sweet and thick midrange people are talking about the RS-1. But still they have _lots_ of bass, which I think the RS-1 don't have. That and the fact that lots of people report that the PS-1 have lots of bass leads me to believe that the GS-1000 and PS-1 may share the same driver. Of course that's just an assumption and I never heard RS-1s nor PS-1s
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 28
Kind of big assumptions and statements you are making without having heard the RS1 nor PS1.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some more listening to the GS-1000 with bowls I think they don't sound that bad I initially thought. It was just quite awkward at the beginning.

Imo they truly have the sweet and thick midrange people are talking about the RS-1. But still they have _lots_ of bass, which I think the RS-1 don't have.
biggrin.gif

x2

and I have heard the RS1's.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo they truly have the sweet and thick midrange people are talking about the RS-1. But still they have _lots_ of bass, which I think the RS-1 don't have. That and the fact that lots of people report that the PS-1 have lots of bass leads me to believe that the GS-1000 and PS-1 may share the same driver. Of course that's just an assumption and I never heard RS-1s nor PS-1s
biggrin.gif

After owning both at the same time for many months, I can confirm that is definitely not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back