GS-1000 or RS1i
Mar 20, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 33
To the OP, I'm a Buddha Bar fan. I'd class that music as 'Ambient/World'. My RS2i is excellent for it. So are my Magnums, so Buddha Bar is well served by using a Grado.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll soon have an RS1i to get some good Grado sound at home, but I've never heard the GS1000i.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #17 of 33
When choosing between (US price) $700 phones and $1000 phones you'd be best off to hear them first. I've owned the GS-1000 and sold them because I preferred the sound of the RS-1. This is a lot of money to spend on someone else's recommendation, after all you're ears are different from those making the recommendations. I'd suggest you attend a UK meet.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #18 of 33
i think if you'd like a just for fun listening, RS1 's a great choice,most of your music 'll sound good with it.The best thing about RS1,it don't need very good amp or dac (gs1000 need).If you'd like more clear,precious,better soundstage for classical k701,hd6xx or h800 do it better,Grado just don't made for it
i tried gs1000,but i prefered rs1,just my taste
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 33
I picked GS-1000 simply because most of my CD collections are large scale classical works. I compared them side by side before I made the final call. I can understand why those who used to Grado sound would prefer RS1. RS1 has the Grado's intimacy and almost the highest level of refinement. Within the classical music, it can do chamber music or solo amazingly. However, in terms of piano and large scale works, RS1 falls short. GS-1000 is not as exciting as RS1 in terms of small scale works. But it can handle both small scale and large scale recording with close to reality liveness. GS-1000 simply puts you in a reasonable space with the music while RS-1 gives you front rows just like other lower Grados. For those music where you're sitting is very important (e.g. classical), GS-1000 kills most of its competitors by putting you almost on the best seat. In other words, for those music involving lots of mixing and the space between you and instrument is not important, GS-1000 is just the less-exciting Grado phones everyone talks about.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 33
I beg to differ.

If you want the best of both worlds, get a GS-1000. Wear the jumbos for classical and switch to bowls for rock. The HF-2s are rock wonders, and the biggest thing about them is the punchy bass, which you can get from a GS-1000 by simply dropping from jumbos to bowls.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 33
Much appreciated everyone, this has been very helpfull

Quote:

When choosing between (US price) $700 phones and $1000 phones you'd be best off to hear them first. I've owned the GS-1000 and sold them because I preferred the sound of the RS-1. This is a lot of money to spend on someone else's recommendation, after all you're ears are different from those making the recommendations. I'd suggest you attend a UK meet.

I did'nt know they had meets in UK. When and where ? that would be excellent.
The used GS1000 are costing me a little less than half of what the HD800's and T1's cost brand new. T1's are costing me around the same as the HD800's ? The GS1000 are second hand and are costing me about 35%less than the RS1i's new.
The used GS1000 are sold now so if I do buy them they will be new.

Quote:

bending the metal really helps with the clamp. I am really interested in Beyerdynamics for my taste in music (and their comfort) and will probably head down to my local HIFI store to have a listen.
Is there no way for you (OP) to hear any headphones in your area? Senn's, Beyer's, Grado's, Ultrasone's, etc?

No I dont think there is any place in UK where they let you try out headphones. Or.... is there ? not that I'v heard of anyway.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Can recommend stats for you ? Will be you be interested?

Read through this thread Is it just me or STAX is not so popular in Head-Fi?

The STAX SRS-2050A system is quite cheap on Ebay, will it suit my sound though ?

Quote:

To the OP, I'm a Buddha Bar fan. I'd class that music as 'Ambient/World'. My RS2i is excellent for it. So are my Magnums, so Buddha Bar is well served by using a Grado. I'll soon have an RS1i to get some good Grado sound at home, but I've never heard the GS1000i.

Nice one...... do you want to sell me your RS2i when you get your RS1s

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice one...... do you want to sell me your RS2i when you get your RS1s

I don't know which I'll be parting with yet, ie., my Magnums or RS2's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 33
If you already own the hd600, I would recommend the RS1i. It is a wonderful compliment to more natural airy open sound of the hd600. It is punchy, the main detail of the music is brought forward, the tonality is warm and fun. You can't go wrong.

After saying that, I was not very impressed with the GS1000 when I heard it. Don't get me wrong, while the soundstage and the timbre replication of the vocals and instuments is quite amazing, the imaging of those instruments and vocals seemed very unnatural. To me, it sounded like having a different speaker for each instrument placed around me with screens keeping the sound from the instruments from blending together. Kind of a strange presentation IMHO.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #26 of 33
sr202 should be fine for your music taste. if you're not used to the sound sig, the bass can be considered anemic, but our ear will eventually adjust. the rest will takes you to the wonder of stats

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I beg to differ.

If you want the best of both worlds, get a GS-1000. Wear the jumbos for classical and switch to bowls for rock.

Bilavideo is on to something here. The GS-1000 with small bowls are very bassy and punchy and can even be considered dark sounding (relative to other Grados). Used this way, the FR actually kind of evens out and the treble peak of the GS-1000 with the jumbo pads disappears. You could even say GS-1000 with small bowls are just as bassy as the Denon D2000/5000s, but without the Denons low low extension (but with Grado punchyness and bass definition)

Think of the GS-1000 drivers (not taking into account the pads) as similar to other higher end Grados (325, RS1/2) with the following differences: more bass response (to make up for the fact that jumbo pads will attenuate bass volume); smoother response with less treble peak (although with the jumbo pads, the overall treble emphasis will be more than other Grados with small bowls); less high-midrange emphasis (not so forward, less electric guitar fun); much cleaner and detailed (if your source and amp are up to it) - in this last regard, differences IMO are greater between RS-1 and GS-1000 than SR-225 and RS-1.

RS-1s totally fart on classical - the FR is just is completely messed up, especially for piano. On the other hand, Glen Gould's piano playing and oddball humming sound great on my GS-1000i's. GS-1000s with jumbo pads will need more careful matching of source and amp compared to RS-1s though.

May 18, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #28 of 33
One is classic up front and in your face - suitable for some sorts of music.
The other is great at accurate imaging - other types of music.
Think of them as complimentary, though they sound similar enough not to buy and keep both. But that's just me and my paltry budget :wink:

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I beg to differ.

If you want the best of both worlds, get a GS-1000. Wear the jumbos for classical and switch to bowls for rock.

Bilavideo is on to something here. The GS-1000 with small bowls are very bassy and punchy and can even be considered dark sounding (relative to other Grados). Used this way, the FR actually kind of evens out and the treble peak of the GS-1000 with the jumbo pads disappears. You could even say GS-1000 with small bowls are just as bassy as the Denon D2000/5000s, but without the Denons low low extension (but with Grado punchyness and bass definition)

Think of the GS-1000 drivers (not taking into account the pads) as similar to other higher end Grados (325, RS1/2) with the following differences: more bass response (to make up for the fact that jumbo pads will attenuate bass volume); smoother response with less treble peak (although with the jumbo pads, the overall treble emphasis will be more than other Grados with small bowls); less high-midrange emphasis (not so forward, less electric guitar fun); much cleaner and detailed (if your source and amp are up to it) - in this last regard, differences IMO are greater between RS-1 and GS-1000 than SR-225 and RS-1.

RS-1s totally fart on classical - the FR is just is completely messed up, especially for piano. On the other hand, Glen Gould's piano playing and oddball humming sound great on my GS-1000i's. GS-1000s with jumbo pads will need more careful matching of source and amp compared to RS-1s though.

I have never posted on a site like this, but I just had to thank you both for your advice regarding the GS-1000.  I recently acquired the headphones, swapped out the pads to the small bowls, and you are right: no more siblence, flattened response, and great, strong bass.  I am very grateful I ran across your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back