GS-1000 and Lavry DA-10
Oct 22, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

imperfectus

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I just dropped close to 2k on Gradgo GS-1000 and a Lavry DA10. I"m wondering if someone could tell me what my next step is in getting badass sound. I've got a Sound Blaster XFi card with optical out into the DA10, and it sounds good. (Or at least as good as I know).

I use the PC for everything I do music wise, so I've got lots of FLAC etc... Just looking for advice for getting serious about this game.

Thanks Guys!

BTW: I've got a pair of Shure 530's. Not entirely sure what gadget I need to go along with it for iPhone listening/at work jamming... suggestions as to next steps would be helpful.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi, I owned both before, the GS1000 sounds dreadful out of the headphone out of DA10 to me. Harsh treble and extremely laid back mids, the details are good though. My guess is to put an amp in between, either balanced or not.

Pitifully now I have an proper amp, but the GS1000 is gone...

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 8
Same here. Ran the GS1K out of front jack and balanced XLRs at different times and neither was satisfactory.

My favorite amp with the GS1Ks is the Woo Audio 6. With right rectifier the Grados midrange comes back out to play. Even better maxed. Some like the Single Power amps with them too. No matter, you need tubes and tubey ones at that to counterbalance that midrange issue.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by imperfectus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose I'll go ahead and order a WA6. THanks for the advice. Hopefully this is the right call.

Woo6 is a great choice - maybe the best for the GS-1000s

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo6 is a great choice - maybe the best for the GS-1000s

Having spent quite a bit of time today with a Woo 6, at the Houston head-fi meet ...

I have to agree.

Sounded FANTASTIC with my Grado RS1's ... a slight bit "rounder" and more balanced than my Stello HP100 ... but just by a hair.

Here's a shot of my demo rig from the meet:

meet5.jpg

Also ...

And since your willing to spend money.

I can't say enough about the MHDT Havana DAC (with tube buffer) ... and how it so compliments my Grados:

havana_feature_small.jpg

It's a *filterless*, NOS (non over sampling) DAC which utilizes two Burr Brown PCM56P DAC chips and an onboard tube buffer ....

Pop a Bendix 6385 in (to replace the so so stock GE tube) ... and it's Grado heaven.

Good luck with your quest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back