GS-1 preamp? How good is it?
Aug 2, 2005 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
The GS-1's preamp outputs... how good is it?

The reason I ask is that I am getting a Rotel RB1070 or RB1080 2 channel amplifier for my speakers and was thinking about the Rotel RC1070 (preamplifier) as my preamp.

However, it just hit me today that the GS-1 has a preamp out (
biggrin.gif
)!

So, how good is it?

Here is the Rotel RC1070 preamp:
http://rotel.com/products/specs/rc1070.htm

rc-1070.jpg

I understand the Rotel preamp has more features, but for just pure 2 channel listening... should I go dedicated?? Or save cash and stick with the GS1 as my preamp?

Aug 2, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 10
I'd say keep it simple (and great) and use your GS-1. I dunno, maybe you need all those inputs, phono preamp, etc. but the GS-1 definitely performs at the same level as a preamp as it does as a headamp.

The pre-outs were actually the thing that made me choose the GS-1 over other gear I was considering. It allowed me to replace a modest Elite A-35R integrated amp with the GS-1 pre-outs and a (still great) 17 year old Aragon 2004 dual mono amp to drive a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52s set up as near-field monitors. There's only one sweet spot to this system but believe me, it's really sweet.

So I'd say save the money - lots of people here will help you spend it on something else...

All IMO, YMMV...

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 10
All the gilmore amps starting with the original v1 have been great preamps. The GS-1 is, IMO, the best sounding gilmore preamp yet. The GS-1 has all the older designs sound quality strengths and adds more dimensionality to the equation. If you do a search, you will see that I.... and others.... have commented on the gilmore amps excellent performance as a preamp many times.
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 10
I also use the GS-1 as a preamp in my main system. It does a great job preamping. The imaging is very focused and the treble has good extension when compared to the NAD 1600 preamp that I was previously using. I also like to use the GS-1 as a preamp because it is a true minimalist hi-fi component: no balance or tone controls; no flashy lights. The only downsides are being to two inputs and the lack of a remote.

I would try using the GS-1 preamp before shelling out for a new preamp.

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 10
I'd be very surprised if the NAD kept up with the GS-1, it really is very good as a preamp. No disrespect to the NAD intended.

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Great, you guys are now convincing me to buy the GS-1 just b/c it's a good pre-amp as well.
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 10
Sweet! I will bring the GS1 to my local hifi dealer and I'll compare it against the Rotel RC1070 preamp. I was thinking of a new preamp until it hit me that the GS1 has a preamp output of its own. I will make good use out of this guy then.

I can save money this way too. I'll sell my HK receiver, sell my rear LSi7 speakers and go with only the LSi9, a rotel amp, the GS-1 as preamp, and a standalone DAC (soon).

Cool!
600smile.gif

This GS1 is REALLY paying off!

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 10
What's your current source right now?

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Sweet! I will bring the GS1 to my local hifi dealer and I'll compare it against the Rotel RC1070 preamp.

Oops, sorry, I meant Rotel!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back