Grunge Music Revisited
Feb 12, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #46 of 53
Smashing Orange is great as well, nobody ever mentions them which is a waste since they fused Grunge with Shoegaze in their earlier album and went more grungey in No Return in the End.

Check out Rob Montejo's new band The SkyDrops.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #47 of 53
In Utero is pretty much a hidden gem all on it's own. It's a lesser talked about Nirvana album, but every song is classic/has a lot of little hidden sounds, especially if you're into guitar effects.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smashing Orange is great as well, nobody ever mentions them which is a waste since they fused Grunge with Shoegaze in their earlier album and went more grungey in No Return in the End.

Check out Rob Montejo's new band The SkyDrops.

OK got/ordered some "hidden gems" for my collection from this thread:

Hammerbox - Numb, Hammerbox (Davey has good call here)
Goodness - Anthems, These Days, Goodness (hammerbox alumni)
Sweetwater - Sweetwater, Superfrends (found myself)
Sponge - Rotten Pinnata, Wax Ecstatic (props to fuzzy dice)
Smashing Orange - 1991, No Return in the End (Going with tip from Rex)

Rex
I am very curious about Smashing Orange since I have a very extensive shoegaze collection yet have never hear of them before........very cheap used

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pearl Jam
One thing I am discovering is that PJ has never made a bad album, I can't believe how consistently good thier large catalog is, I just pretty much buy any used CD by them I can find. Even rarities collection "lost dogs" is great (although disc 2 drags a bit), only one more to get 2006 "pearl jam" album. I had the first three albums long ago:
-Ten
-Vs
-Vitalogy
but now I have even more respect for this group after getting enitre catalog very cheap on used market, didn't realize they were that good.

After acquiring/listening to all Pearl Jam albums I will say my least favorite album is "codes" which is still pretty good........all others are very good to excellent including newest album
redface.gif

Very strong portfolio of work over long period of time

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #50 of 53
Darkangel:

1991 is more shoegazy and borrows quite obviously from MBV's guitar feedback and noise, its not totally shoegaze nor grunge but somewhere in between. It is a collection of their earlier unreleased works.

No Return in The End is their last and latest album. I don't think it sounds like Nirvana but it definitely has the grunge sound. Rob Montejo definitely is a better singer and rarely growls or slurs, I think that is one of the things that makes SO stand out.

Yes, their album are extremely cheap used or new, I found No Return in the End new at around $4 at the local record shop, 1991 can be bought new at $10 at elephants records' website. I guess that is because they aren't wildly popular. They kind of loss some fans when they leaned towards a more grunge sound in their later album. I found No Return in the End and 1991 to be of a very different sound, so hopefully you will enjoy them. I like Rob Montejo's new band (duo) The SkyDrops as well. Stripped down guitar and drums sound, no other instruments, but its has very textured sound.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #51 of 53
The only album which survives my grunge phase (besides those by Nirvana, which are not really grunge, as one clever writer at Pitchfork pointed out) is Pearl Jam's official boot 6/16/00 at Katowice, Poland. Good, intimate songs, along with an overview of their better stuff all the way back to Ten.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK got/ordered some "hidden gems" for my collection from this thread:

Hammerbox - Numb, Hammerbox (Davey has good call here)
Goodness - Anthems, These Days, Goodness (hammerbox alumni)
Sweetwater - Sweetwater, Superfrends (found myself)
Sponge - Rotten Pinnata, Wax Ecstatic (props to fuzzy dice)
Smashing Orange - 1991, No Return in the End (Going with tip from Rex)

Rex
I am very curious about Smashing Orange since I have a very extensive shoegaze collection yet have never hear of them before........very cheap used

Goodness albums are only pretty good, not essential or as good as Hammerbox, somewhat generic sounding for me

Smashing Orange debut 1991 reminds me of early Swervedriver like "raise" album but I think Swervedriver is a better group, still a good additon for my shoegaze collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back