Grunge Music Revisited
Feb 3, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll second Temple of the Dog... great album.

i'll mind as well throw in Mother Love Bone for history completists. i only have their compilation album of the same name though, can't comment on the regular albums.

Also to complete the historical trilogy for grunge:
Green River - Dry as a Bone / Rehab Doll

Green River -> Mother Love Bone + Mud Honey

Mudhoney
I also quite like the garage/neo psychedellic sounds of Mudhoney, perhaps best plan of action here is to get the stellar 2CD collection called "march to the fuzz" comes in nice digipak

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Def /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could Queens of the Stone Age be considered grunge?

Not sure if they are from pacific NW area......they trace thier musical heritage directly from Kyuss and are what they call stoner rock with deep heavy bass grooves, anyone wants to start a stoner rock thread go ahead, I am big fan

I really like the Foo Fighters you mentioned, Dave Grohl from Nirvana was really sucessful in his other band.........especially like Color and Shape CD, almost any FF album is good however

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 53
HUGE PJ fan here. As far as I am concerned, they are one of the most solid, consistent, and "true to themselves" rock bands ever. They have done it their way, and they have allowed themselves to evolve gracefully through the years. Their live show is amazing. The energy and passion for the music along for the constant setlist changes makes them one of the best live acts. Though Ten is by far me favorite album, there are great songs on every album. I am not a huge fan of their last one, but I have not given it much playtime, so it is not a definite opinion. In the whole Nirvana vs. PJ debate, there is no contest: PJ KILLS Nirvana. I really did not understand Nirvana's appeal, but that is just me.

Grunge was the last great time for mainstream music. Both died together.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 53
I think all of the big ones have been mentioned, but one of the best and most refreshing records at that time and place in the early 90s was ...

a3337220eca05f49c2625010._AA240_.L.jpg

BIOGRAPHY

Hammerbox was one of the few Seattle post-grunge bands fronted by a woman in the early '90s. Led by fiery vocalist Carrie Akre, Hammerbox equaled the untrammeled rage of their Emerald City peers, but also inserted new wave energy in their typical Seattle blend of rock, pop and noise. Akre's voice combined Pat Benatar's shatterproof toughness with Kristen Hersh's ominous roar. Also featuring guitarist Harris Thurmond, bassist James Atkins, and drummer Dave Bosch.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #23 of 53
Davey
Order placed for Hammerbox plus a Goodness CD...........love buying used CDs for under $1
redface.gif

Do you like Akre's work with band Goodness?
What about solo work by Akre? Recommendations?

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Davey
Order placed for Hammerbox plus a Goodness CD...........love buying used CDs for under $1
redface.gif

Do you like Akre's work with band Goodness?
What about solo work by Akre? Recommendations?

DA, I only have the Numb CD, and that's all I know, but it's a really good one. Not sure why I never picked up the debut. Sometimes, and I know this sounds kind of silly, I don't want to tarnish my feeling about a band so I don't go back to their earlier work if I suspect it's not quite as good. But Goodness was a completely different band except for Akre, and I'm not sure they were really much to do with the grunge scene, but let us know what you think.

GodHeadSilo is pretty far out there, kind of a mix of grunge and a remnant of that cool old Chrome alien industrial sound from the late 70s, but you've probably talked about them in your ongoing Darkness threads.

Of course, after the success of PJ and Nirvana, with the record labels throwing money at any band that sounded heavy, grunge spread all over the country, with pretty much every state having a good but nowadays mostly unknown band. Maybe we should take the thread in that direction now, all those great bands from the mid 90s that for one reason or another didn't follow Smashing Pumpkins and STP (and the handful of others) to huge popularity.

I'll throw out one from a Boston-based three-piece called Scarce, and the record Deadsexy from '95. Girl bass player to add some Exene-like backing on the vocals. Maybe not quite as polished as some of the biggest bands, but maybe that's a good thing too. Another one you can usually buy used for the cost of shipping
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 53
I would have to throw in my vote for Alice In Chains. I feel that Lane's voice is one of the most incredible forces to ever be captured on tape. Jerry's guitar is pretty good as well, but I have yet to see someone come even close to the power of Lane's voice. It is kind of like how modern artists have tried to cover Janis Joplin's voice to no avail.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to throw in my vote for Alice In Chains. I feel that Lane's voice is one of the most incredible forces to ever be captured on tape. Jerry's guitar is pretty good as well, but I have yet to see someone come even close to the power of Lane's voice. It is kind of like how modern artists have tried to cover Janis Joplin's voice to no avail.

Although AIC is known for thier hard rock music sound on "dirt" album, I think
vocalist Staley sounds even better on the mid tempo/ballad type songs on "jar of flies" where his sultry distinctive vocals work magic. Anyway all AIC albums are very good with "flies" being my favorite.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

vocalist Staley sounds even better on the mid tempo/ballad type songs on "jar of flies" where his sultry distinctive vocals work magic. Anyway all AIC albums are very good with "flies" being my favorite.

Don't know why but I could never quite get into Alice In Chains the way I got into Pearl Jam or Nirvana. That being said I love their unplugged album.

Has anyone mentioned Staind?

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 53
Feb 3, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

I too am a fan of Jar of Flies. I remember discovering that album on cassette way back when on a camping trip listening through a sport walkman. I must have worn out that tape, but not nearly as much as Beck Mellow Gold. I listened to that whole tape over and over again. Then again when I was listening to Mellow Gold it was when I was into illicit recreational hobbies if you get my drift
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a pretty wicked stoner band called Grasshopper that got around a lot in Toronto in the early 90s. Bloody insane live, a couple of HIWATT walls always framed them. Hard to find much on them, but I found this link a while ago:

Disography

Their recordings did zero justice to the tubey assault of their live set.

Wow Grasshopper. I remember the light bright they had for their band name....

Classic.

2 of my all time fav. albums are 'grunge'

1. Daygo - LoveBattery

d91202omlhd.jpg

2. Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge - Mudhoney

c50884x7knd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back