Growing a beard.....
Apr 21, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
To be honest I'm sick and tired of running my blunt electric shaver over my face every day so have decided to grow the beard I have always threatened to grow...... yes, this time it's going to happen.

Just thought I'd "share" this momentus occasion with you all and if there's any mileage in a beard discussion then go for it.......

Advantages of beard, disadvantages of beard, beard types, the history of the beard, beard memorabillia, pictures of beards..... whatever you like.

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 48
Oooh, beards! I had a few of those...

Hmmm, well you still have lots of maintenence if you intend on keeping it neat. Trimming the length, shaving your neck area, washing old food out of it and making sure you keep the sucker really clean or it'll itch like a bitch. Can sometimes irritate when sleeping on said bearded fizzog. Waking up with 'bed beard' and of course, looking 20 years older. Especially if it grows out grey.

Wife acceptence factor is generally low on the face fuzz front.

Other than that.... great, as you can sit there stroking it slowly as you contemplate the nature of headphones.
tongue.gif

Oh, I used to have longer hair parted in the middle too, I looked like Rasputin at times.

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 48
I've had razor-burn from beards before
mad.gif

I guess thats from shorter ones, cropped too closely. If your gonna grow one, at least let it get long enough to get nice and soft.
Perhaps use conditioner on it, even if only when kissing is expected.

Apr 22, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 48
Pinkie, don't do it. You're already a distinguished looking gent. Remember the young ladies that showed interest in you? You think a beard will heighten your already considerable appeal? I think not -- not that that sort of thing has anything to do with your decision, but why potentially ruin a good thing?

But if you must do it, don't let it grow wild and keep it neat, like a gentleman.

Apr 22, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 48
man, i just recently cut my out of control 8inch goatee. Cleaned it down to an inch. Got tired of waking up with it in my mouth, and "bed beard" with it all sideways. I suggest letting it go to about 3/4-1" as that's a decent length full beard.

Apr 22, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I've had razor-burn from beards before
mad.gif

I guess thats from shorter ones, cropped too closely. If your gonna grow one, at least let it get long enough to get nice and soft.
Perhaps use conditioner on it, even if only when kissing is expected.

I've tried conditioner in my goatee before, it didnt do much at all. Maybe my hair is too short, I keep it very trimmed.

Apr 22, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I've tried conditioner in my goatee before, it didnt do much at all. Maybe my hair is too short, I keep it very trimmed.

I have a beard too and keep it short..trim it once a month.I have my eletric razor set at 2..whihc is good enough..tried it at setting 3 for a year once but after a few week sit felt like i needed to trim it again.yeah keep it free of food.I almost went out once with some littel bits of food stuck in it whihc i luckily noticed before I went out.never had bed beard but i have had it itch alot and sometimes itch when i have headphones on.

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 48
I had a beard for awhile, but eventually shaved it.

It was an Abe Lincoln "chin strap," or as my friends liked to call it, "The Amish Outlaw." I would have gone for a full beard, but I don't grow much on the sides of my mouth and a moustache would have been a little patchy, too. But the chin strap was doable.

However, there were drawbacks. To keep it trimmed up and not wild-looking required about as much shaving as regular shaving did. I didn't like the way it felt when I slept on it. Pillows will irritate it (especially when you go beyond stubble) and it never got entirely comfortable.

But there were two bigger reasons why I eventually shaved. One was the time a pack of teenagers in the mall started making fun of me. I didn't provoke them or respond, either. I'm more of the type who fades into the background, so that was a shock. Maybe a beard would go over differently on you. And the second reason was that every woman I knew hated it.

Anyhow, it was worth doing at least once. I think every man should one time in his life.

And check out this link:

http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

Yes, it's real!

Apr 22, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 48
a funny joke for ya.

One day my girlfriend and her friend were sitting in a lecture given by a few very established professors and doctors. One of the doctors was staring off into space, stroking his long beard in deep thought.

GF: I wonder what he's thinking about.
Friend:Maybe he's thinking, hmm....what could be in my beard?
icon10.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Pinkie, don't do it. You're already a distinguished looking gent.

Oh! I like you! I like you a lot!
tongue.gif

To be honest, women don't enter the equation, I'm going native with the beard for a few good reasons.

1: My electric razor is blunt.

2: I'm contemplating giving up smoking so everytime I feel like smoking a fag the beard can be used as "calming tool" it can be pulled, twisted, scratched, fondled etc. The way I see it smoking involves hand and mouth so if I put hand to beard it'll be a very similar action to cigarette to mouth but without the added nicotine and tar. May work, yet to be seen.

3: Time for a change. Do you ever get sick of looking at the same old face in the mirror? Well, I do so a beard would be a change. I draw the line at a ponytail or a bone through my nose but I see no reason "not" to give the beard the opportunity to grow. I mean the bloody thing has been actively "trying" to grow since I was 16 so now I'm calling its bluff and saying "bring it on beard!" I wanna see what this thing I've been cropping down for all these years actually looks like and want to say "hello beard"
tongue.gif

Quote:

But if you must do it, don't let it grow wild and keep it neat, like a gentleman.

Why, of course old chap!

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #14 of 48
I alway's get the "why don't you shave already" look whenever i try and get one going.It looks nice up to a point and make's me look damn good if i do say so
biggrin.gif
but having it too long makes me look like a bum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back