Grover UR8 Released
Nov 5, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #121 of 152
I (as usual, fashionably late) just wrote to Grover to arrange an upgrade of a UR6 RCA pair that I bought back in March to a UR8 pair, and Grover responded that he has just released the new "Grover S" cables, which he describes as "a new design that outperforms the UR8". So, I placed an order for BOTH the originally intended UR6->UR8 upgrade PLUS a new Grover S pair. I'm finally able to get in on a new Grover release on the early end of things, and I couldn't be happier or more expectant.

Nov 6, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #122 of 152
tongue.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
I (as usual, fashionably late) just wrote to Grover to arrange an upgrade of a UR6 RCA pair that I bought back in March to a UR8 pair, and Grover responded that he has just released the new "Grover S" cables, which he describes as "a new design that outperforms the UR8". So, I placed an order for BOTH the originally intended UR6->UR8 upgrade PLUS a new Grover S pair. I'm finally able to get in on a new Grover release on the early end of things, and I couldn't be happier or more expectant.

another new grover release! i'm guessing the UR's can't be upgraded to the new S?

I've been happy with all the grover revisions i've had/have (currently using the UR8). All these revisions/new releases are great since the cable is getting better, but also a little annoying current owners! well for me at least. My next ic upgrade will probably be to something other than the Grovers, I can't take all these new releases any more

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #123 of 152
I asked about upgrades, and according to Grover, old IC's can be upgraded to "close to the S's".

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #124 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo2tup2
tongue.gif

another new grover release! i'm guessing the UR's can't be upgraded to the new S?

I've been happy with all the grover revisions i've had/have (currently using the UR8). All these revisions/new releases are great since the cable is getting better, but also a little annoying current owners! well for me at least. My next ic upgrade will probably be to something other than the Grovers, I can't take all these new releases any more

Precisely the reason I moved away from the Grovers...always an upgrade, each upgrade is one that 'blows the previous versions away', until the next upgrade comes along two months later. $50 here, $50 there it all adds up. They are great ICs for the price, but not when you consider frequent upgrades. The other issue is that unless you have multiple pairs, you're without your ICs until they return from being upgraded. Just got to be too much after a while.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #125 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo2tup2
... I can't take all these new releases any more ...

There's another way to manage all the releases other than to change to another make of IC (if, that is, you're basically happy with the sound through the Grover IC). For the past few years, I've done only an annual purchase or upgrade (even though I've read about EVERY release and all of the improvements offered by each - a LOT of fun, BTW). So, if taking ALL of the new releases is too much, choose to take them at a rate at which you can be happy to get them. Think of each release as an opportunity, not an obligation. Given the history of the Grover IC's, the substantive improvements seem to remain over time, with the features unique to each release being less substantive flavor variations. So, skipping a number of releases between upgrades is not likely to result in missing out on an important improvement. If, on the other hand, you're curious about what your rig could sound like with other makes of IC's - well, scratching those itches is a LOT of what makes this hobby of ours worth the exploration. I, for one, am kept amazed at the quality and innovation that Grover is willing to make available to us, and at his generosity to us which is expressed in the low prices for which he is willing to do it.

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #126 of 152
I knew you guys would be mad, but when you hear the S's you will be more forgiving. I'm petty sure that this will be the cable for some time (know I've said this before). I can't undo what's gone before but I can offer this incredible cable to those that wish to get it, and make it very reasonable. What can I say, I can still make the UR8 but why, I have to believe in my product and will only sell the cable I use. Not that the UR8 is not a great cable, the S is just better. For my customers that have stood by me I'll offer this cable for $75 a 1-meter RCA pair. If some one is extremely annoyed with me email me and maybe I can make it right. If there's nothing I can do to make it right, my sincere apologies, but it is my hope I can.

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #127 of 152
guy's here is the first email I have received about the S cables, does this help.

Sent : Monday, November 6, 2006 8:38 PM
To : groverhuffman@hotmail.com
CC :
Subject : wow

| | | Inbox

Grover, Are you kidding me? I have never heard anything like this in my 30yrs of listening. I think the jaded cynic in me didn't want to believe that one could get this quality at this low of a price. However, your cable is in fact replacing one that is $1200, and the bitch of it is that it isn't even close. I am going to resist the urge to shower you with superlatives and just say that I need to place a larger order. Please email prices for all of your cables incl. spkr per foot and rca i/c's as well, not to mention phono cable (your last email abt your phono cable is really resonating now!) and power cords if you've ventured there. .Thank you, your work is truly special. Greg

Nov 7, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #128 of 152
that is generous grover, i will consider you for my next IC.

Brian

Nov 8, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #129 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Precisely the reason I moved away from the Grovers...always an upgrade, each upgrade is one that 'blows the previous versions away', until the next upgrade comes along two months later. $50 here, $50 there it all adds up. They are great ICs for the price, but not when you consider frequent upgrades. The other issue is that unless you have multiple pairs, you're without your ICs until they return from being upgraded. Just got to be too much after a while.

I simply cannot understand this mindset.

You are not obliged to update every time Grover improves his product. He is very generous to offer an upgrade program.

I am very happy with the sound of my UR-8's, I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. But I won't be criticizing Grover for striving to better his offerings.

Are you this critical of other things in your life? Do you get mad if the maker of your car offers an improved version every year? How about the maker of your TV set? Do you feel some sort of obligation every time the maker of your computer releases a new and better model? Do you move to a brand that doesn't strive to improve it's product as much?

Nov 8, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #130 of 152
I'll repeat Greg's question: have you ventured into the area of Power Cords? If so, I'd be mighty interested to try one of your Power Cord offerings. I've never read any reviews or impressions of a Grover Power Cord, so I've just taken it that you don't offer Power Cords for sale. But, I've never asked, so, what about Power Cords, Grover? I'd be very interested to know your thoughts and intentions about them if you are inclined to share those with us.

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #131 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
I simply cannot understand this mindset.

You are not obliged to update every time Grover improves his product. He is very generous to offer an upgrade program.

I am very happy with the sound of my UR-8's, I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. But I won't be criticizing Grover for striving to better his offerings.

Are you this critical of other things in your life? Do you get mad if the maker of your car offers an improved version every year? How about the maker of your TV set? Do you feel some sort of obligation every time the maker of your computer releases a new and better model? Do you move to a brand that doesn't strive to improve it's product as much?

First of all, I am not mad about anything. I did not intend my comments as an attack and after re-reading them, it seems you are the one on the offensive.

Are you this critical of all the people in your life? Do you get mad if someone wants to change or upgrade other things in their life?

I believe that a company can and should improve their product. There is a MUCH bigger difference between the average time a company comes out with an upgrade and the timing that Grover comes out with his upgrades. Also, companies typically don't come out immediately with an upgraded product that 'blows away' the previous product from three months ago that 'blew away' the product from three months ago, etc. Take Cardas as an example. They recently came out with the Golden Presence IC. It was intended to fit between the Golden Reference and Neutral Reference cables. It has its place in the lineup and is not positioned to 'blow away' any of their other cables.

Why did I upgrade? Why does anyone upgrade? Its audio, and if there is something that 'blows away' what I am currently hearing then I'd like to hear it. It just gets old when it happens over and over and over again. Is it my issue for upgrading - sure. Obviously this is a part of Grovers business model to have current owners upgrade. The upgrade price and program is fairly priced and I have no problem with Grover, his products, or my interactions with him on a business or personal level. He makes some great cables. He is however alienating some of his fans by pushing out constant upgrades that are always 'the best cable I have produced'.

Now you have the 'S' series that basically means the previous owners won't be able to continue the upgrade path unless they are deemed as an loyal follower unhappy with the upgrade path and eligible for the $75 price point. Is it nice of Grover to offer the $75 upgrade? Sure, very generous.

The sick part is, I actually want to hear the 'S' version and might actually see about the $75 deal. Basically all this goes to say is that Grover plays well into the hands of those with the audio sickness that always want to know how they can take their system to the next level.

Nov 9, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #132 of 152
If the joy of listening to the music I love through a Grover IC is a sickness, then I don't wanna be well.
tongue.gif

I know what you mean. I'm just havin' a little fun.

Nov 9, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #133 of 152
Can't say I'm much of a believer in cables making much of a difference, but i must say...this is a huge difference!
Got a new wavelength cosine dac connecting to ES-1 to HE90...so i was originally going to try some silver interconnects.
But I had some old grover sr200s rca ICs and upgraded them to the new UR S cables. Unbelievable difference.
Not very good at doing reviews, but all i can say is that there seemed to be a veil that was lifted after trying his new cables. soundstage opened up, highs much clearer...not sure about the bass yet.

Some caveats are that this is coming from a very old SR200 and my cable experience is very limited, but still...just listening to this setup without by itself and without even any burn-in...the cables made a huge difference.

Just want to thank grover for this upgrade...nice that he lives so close that I could get them so quickly
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #134 of 152
Who else has taken advantage of the $75 S? I'm considering buying one right after finals (don't want to invite a distraction until then) and want some feedback!

Nov 17, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #135 of 152
The Grover S cables I ordered just arrived today. What better way could there be to replace all of the fatigue and tensions of the week with renewed vitality and eager expectancy than to come home to find a new set of Grover cables? I haven't even got them installed in my rig yet, but I will very soon. As an extra treat, I sent back my U6 pair for upgrade to a U8 pair, which was packaged and shipped along with the S pair. What an end of week and weekend I'm going to have!!! These ought to be burned in nicely for the long holiday weekend coming up next week. Man, O' Man Alive!!!

I'm guessing that the only reason DA hasn't posted about the S cables yet is that it's taking time for them to come back from deep cryo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back