Grover UR8 Released
Nov 17, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #136 of 152
Is Grover offering the $75 upgrade for folks with earlier UR iterations, or is that offer only for those who have the most current UR version prior to the introduction of the S? Does anyone know?

Nov 17, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #137 of 152
my impression is its available to all customers of the more recent cables. Maybe not so much the origional MK I/II/III but the SR/Empress/UR series... I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong though...

Nov 17, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #138 of 152
That's my question, really. What's considered more recent URs? I have UR6. cables--are these considered recent enough to qualify for the upgrade/replace to S version? Guess the only way to find out for sure is to contact Grover.

EDIT: sent a PM to grover asking for clarification on which owners can take advantage of the S upgrade offer.

Nov 17, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #139 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
I simply cannot understand this mindset.

You are not obliged to update every time Grover improves his product. He is very generous to offer an upgrade program.

I am very happy with the sound of my UR-8's, I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. But I won't be criticizing Grover for striving to better his offerings.

Are you this critical of other things in your life? Do you get mad if the maker of your car offers an improved version every year? How about the maker of your TV set? Do you feel some sort of obligation every time the maker of your computer releases a new and better model? Do you move to a brand that doesn't strive to improve it's product as much?

It might be nice if there were not 6 variations in a year or so 5, 5., 6, 7, 8 and S

Car manufactures date cars yearly they release new versions every 3-5 years. Conusmer electronics are similar with many models lasting years.

While I have no issue with anyone striving for better I like a few folks have a cable that is about a year old and fairly worthless in a FS forum because I am now 5 releases in the dust.

Grovers are great values but it would be great if he could beta test on his dime then release a product with some stability. So if I want to "upgrade" a $150 cable now costs me $225.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #140 of 152
I imagine materials for an upgrade don't cost much, it should be mainly the work which is paid for a $50 upgrade.

A possible solution (for not making those who paid once $150 and are then pushed to upgrade 5 times a year making the cable final cost $5-600) would be that new cables be sent to them without asking them to return the old ones.

Maybe not for $50, but for $60 or $70 (because the manufacturer would not be able to reuse anything from the old cable, but he will have to buy some more parts instead).

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #141 of 152
I've installed the Grover S cables into my main rig at home, and I've been running audio through them (and listening normally) for only about 8 hours at this point, and I've got enough experience with breaking in cables (and Grover cables, specifically) to know that I don't yet know the fullness of what this cable will deliver when its sound fully stabilizes with use. However, I also know that the first impressions with Grover's cables do NOT change - just that all the great characteristics heard up front get better. So, here are some things I CAN say at this point.

I've been running the Grover UR6 and the Bogdan Gold Silver Spirit since March - and have been truly savoring the diaphanous sound of the Bogdan IC (which fills in at the center to deliver more solidity as it settles in) and the more earthy, visceral sound of the UR6 (which becomes airier at the edges to deliver more irridescence and shimmer as it settles in). Both amazing cables delivering downright generous value. In my rig it is very easy to switch between them when my ear craves what either does best.

I was expecting the S cables to be another step in quality along the, to date, earthy, solid Grover sound - and it is, PLUS:
The Grover S cable takes a very nice step toward one IC to do what my ear loves best from each of the previous Grover cables and the Bogdan GSS. My first real impression from the S cables is that they deliver the most delicious wash of temporal and harmonic structure from the sounds that I love that my ears have ever savored. For example, each note in a melody composed of skillfully coaxed electric guitar strings conveys the nuances, complexities and temporal development of a gently undulating, subtly shimmering sonic curtain. And all of the notes taken together form the most gorgeous harmonically and temporally rich sonic structure that my ears have savored, ever. This S cable, so far, has neither a fixed "earthy" nor a fixed "celestial" or "diaphanous" sound. Earthy sounds like unadorned human voice are quite palpable and viscerally present. Unearthy (or even other-worldly) sounds like transporting electronic constructions can be amazingly diaphanous - like the sonic version of laser holography through a vapor phase medium. One of my favorite tracks for the juxtaposition of the earthy and the unearthy is the Track "Eternal Odyssey" from the Delerium album "Chimera". It starts with the sounds of both faint electronic chimes coming from the distance, AND the sound of heavy raindrops falling languidly upon flagstones on a cool summer day. With the Grover S cables, at the same time that I'm locking onto the visceral sound of the raindrops (with the associated sensations of feeling the cool, moist air on my face and smelling the flagstones), the electronica is transporting me to faraway mythical mountaintops where mystical chime sounds waft from an unearthly monastery - one can only imagine the consciousness-altering disciplines practiced by its inhabitants - it's a mini travel vacaton in a track. Just an amazing experience - that the same cable can provide so much, simultaneously, of the combined listening experiences of my previously favorite TWO cables. I'm not comparing the sound qualities of the Grover S to the Bogdan at this point - since the S cables are so new to my rig - but I'm comparing my listening experiences with the two - since these are early impressions, very subjective and reflective of my listening idiosyncrasies, I'm sure. I have to say that, so far, I'm really impressed in ways that I was not expecting to be.

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #142 of 152
Grovers offer was too good to refuse, so i've been playing with the Grover S's for a couple weeks now. These are a nice improvement from the UR8's. The difference isn't huge, but its there and its welcomed. Compared to the UR8's, I'm hearing tighter bass, a little more crisper highs (for lack of a better term), and better image separation. The Grover house sound is still there like the UR revisions, but overall i feel that these S cables take a small step into the "real" sounding direction making the UR8's sound more "hifi."

Nov 23, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #144 of 152
You guys have fun, but I am more than satisfied with my UR-8's, I'm standing pat for the forseeable future, perhaps years.

Nov 23, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #145 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, here are some things I CAN say at this point.

This S cable, so far, has neither a fixed "earthy" nor a fixed "celestial" or "diaphanous" sound. Earthy sounds like unadorned human voice are quite palpable and viscerally present. Unearthy (or even other-worldly) sounds like transporting electronic constructions can be amazingly diaphanous - like the sonic version of laser holography through a vapor phase medium. .

LOL - interesting descriptions... were you on acid
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #147 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL - interesting descriptions... were you on acid
biggrin.gif

I'm exploring farther reaches of the spaces of human creativity than that stuff allows. I'm riding the sound of my favorite music as it is presented through the Grover S cable. And O' what a journey it continues to be.
tongue.gif

I've ordered a second set of Grover S cables. I've already decided that I'd like to savor the gorgeous wash of harmonic structure that this cable allows to be displayed in the sound in my work rig as well. It's my early Christmas present to myself. The gift that truly keeps giving all year round.

Nov 23, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #148 of 152
Heard back from Grover I can have my UR6. upgraded/exchanged for the new S. For those who've taken advantage of the upgrade with the new S cables, what was the turnaround? How long did it take to receive the new S after sending in your old cables?

Thanks.

Nov 24, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #149 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJayBump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long did it take to receive the new S after sending in your old cables?
Thanks.

In my case, Grover sent the new S cables in a few days, and the US Post Office took a week from their being shipped to get them to me (From West Coast to East Coast, USA). How long it would take Grover to send the new cables depends on his order queue, what he's got available, ..., so Your Mileage May Vary. I recently went from the UR6 to the S, and I can say that it's easily worth the wait.

Nov 24, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #150 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my case, Grover sent the new S cables in a few days...I recently went from the UR6 to the S, and I can say that it's easily worth the wait.

Cool. Thanks.

I will have a new source in a few weeks (SACDmods 555ES) and I want to get the new S well broken in before it arrives. Then I can really compare how much of an upgrade the modded 555ES is over my stock 333ES.

Additionally, I will finally put together a two-channel speaker setup again right after the new year, so I will also get a chance to try Grovers speaker cables. I'm really looking forward to that. Now if we could get Grover to start making power cords, we could have an all-Grover-cabled setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back