Grounding SPDIF/BNC/Clock for better performance
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
For those with mscaler or external clock or those that still use SPDIF input, you may get better sound by connecting the ferrule on the BNC plug to the actual ground in your AC. I was dong some system optimization and measured a couple mv of offset between my BNC ground and AC ground so I attached a cable from the ferrule to the AC main ground and the offset went away and my music sounded more analog as a result. I have these ifi AC plugs with a place where you can plug in a ground cable. but there are other products that do the same thing.

Hope others can try and report back. This is essentially a free tweak if the utility is universal.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 3
For those with mscaler or external clock or those that still use SPDIF input, you may get better sound by connecting the ferrule on the BNC plug to the actual ground in your AC. I was dong some system optimization and measured a couple mv of offset between my BNC ground and AC ground so I attached a cable from the ferrule to the AC main ground and the offset went away and my music sounded more analog as a result. I have these ifi AC plugs with a place where you can plug in a ground cable. but there are other products that do the same thing.

Hope others can try and report back. This is essentially a free tweak if the utility is universal.
Seems like you're basically reinforcing grounding to the gear.

Try a ground box connected to the spdif.

Or if you're skeptical, you could test a ground tube off aliexpress like this.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 22-00-08 HiFi Audio Cable Ground Loop Noise Isolator GND Black Hole E...png

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-ground-box-thread.968372/

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Gear is already well grounded and if I just measure rca/bnc to ground without any connection I have no offset. However there is just a tiny amount of offset once two pieces of gear are connected - we are talking about 1mv. Now connecting a separate wire from BNC to ground reduces the tiny offset to 0 and things sounded better as a result. I didn’t expect this level of improvement but pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

The tweak is free and makes sense from an engineering perspective 😄

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back