Green L3000
Jun 21, 2008 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Than

100+ Head-Fier
I found this on the AT website: audio-technicabATH-L3000

I couldn't find any information in the search, it seems to be some sort of limited edition version, but it's the first I'd heard of it. Anyone know the story? My Japanese is very poor...

Edit: I figured it out. They made 50 of the green ones. Sorry about that... I got ahead of myself.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 50
Yes, the Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 were a limited run headphone.
Of which 500 brown ones and 50 green ones were produced (afaik).

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 were a limited run headphone.
Of which 500 brown ones and 50 green ones were produced (afaik).

I'm pretty sure it was 500 total, 50 of those being green.

This thread has a bit more info on the L3000G.

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure it was 500 total, 50 of those being green.

This thread has a bit more info on the L3000G.

There are 500nos of L3000 and 50nos of L3000G being produced by ATH. Both their sound and leather quality are different. L3000G is the true ultimate headphone of the manufacturer. It can totally outperform the brown rivals of no. 14 and no. 31 respectively during my last comparison.

Last week, I got a rumor from Mainland China that the price of l3000g had rocketed to an unbelievable level.

120,000rmb............................. crazy!!!!

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 50
Only person on Head-Fi I know of who has the green one is Nomad, he also has a brown one and prefers the green IIRC.

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 50
The leather on the L3000G is definitely better, very smooth and without grain. I posted some pictures back in the day showing the difference.

The sound is a bit different having the L3000G the bass a bit tighter and with a little more slam. But I wouldn't say that they "totally outperform" the brown ones. Back in the day, when the L3000G and L3000 were my first pair of the same high-end headphone, and after seeing how better was the leather on the green one, I thought the L3000G could be a bit superior sonically speaking.

Since then, I've owned and listened to different pairs of the same model of high-end phones to understand that at this level tolerances can make a can to sound different enough to be able to spot it in blind tests. Because of that, now I think the difference between my L3000 and the L3000G is due tolerances and not because the green one is a better phone "per se".

I could say that the green sounds better just in case I decide to sell it in the future (it is absolutely NOS with around 30 mins on my head, although burned-in for quite a few days), so I could get a better price but I won't. I think they are the same phone sonically speaking.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 50
The green one certainly is aesthetically pleasing... Not to say the brown one isn't of course, there's just something about that green one.

I'd really like to listen to an L3000 sometime. I've found something I like in almost every AT phone I've tried and I'd be really excited to listen to what is regarded as their finest. Of course, I'd also like to listen to the other "greats".

As a high school student trying to break into this hobby, with very little funds, and certainly not enough to acquire some of the better things I've sampled, I feel that legendary out of production cans like these are forever beyond my reach as they continue to escalate in price and dwindle in numbers. I also fear that by the time I have the means to attain anything close, I won't be able to hear them like I would be able to now. It's like some awful curse, and makes me question my judgment for starting all of this. Too late to turn back now though...

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got quoted $6,100 for a used L3000, don't know if they were brown or green though.

The browns "usually" go for around $2500 so even for a rare green this sounds outragous but I have never seen a green for sale.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The browns "usually" go for around $2500 so even for a rare green this sounds outragous but I have never seen a green for sale.

I concur with nc8000 as the brown ones go for $2500. But for $6100 for a green one even though it is rare is pretty steep IMHO.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got quoted $6,100 for a used L3000, don't know if they were brown or green though.

ask the seller to seek answer

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 50
Whoa...
eek.gif
Very expensive... Might be green ones...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back