greatest non-cliche lesson learnt from head-fi?
Nov 27, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 30
Greatest lesson I think I've learned? I guess I have two:

1. Don't pay new prices for this stuff because the mark up is ridiculous.

2. Everyone is different and has different tastes so reviews must be treated as such and not as gospel truth. (Also, just like any other forums, n00bs that haven't heard anything will recommend things just because they've read about them a lot or the item has a certain amount of presence)

wink.gif

Hopefully my next greatest lesson is that the er4p has enough bass for a normal person like me!

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 30
I think ZoNtO nailed it -- I agree with his two "lessons". Let me "amplify" both:

(1) Always check here and other communities, then audiogon and eBay, before buying anything. Last year's model, heck five-to-ten year old stuff -- is as good or sometimes better than new.

(2) Right on! In fact, you better LISTEN (audition) before you buy nearly anything, especially HPs ... this is what meets and CanJam is all about.

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 30
Buy and test a lot of headphones..there's no universal truth.
Bookmark the forsale/fortrade section and have your PayPal account ready.

get ready to experience what we call the
"blackhole in your wallet symptom".

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 30
That there are two types of members on head-fi:
Type A - only believe in measurements, never trust their own ears. They argue vigorously against ideas like burn-in, cable differences, wav vs lossless and so on.
Type B - Trust their ears and believe that measurements don't always tell the whole truth. They will burnout their new equipment to burn it in, spend megabucks on cables, and rip all their music to wav because they can hear the difference.

Consequently, to avoid getting flamed I try very hard to avoid certain threads/posts.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The relationship between musical bliss and money is not linear. Step off when the curve gets too steep.

-Pony

a lot of things are like this especially luxury products

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 30
At first spend spend spend and try tp enjoy your stuff but after 3-4 years you might learn the value of budget-fi.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"wav vs lossless"

Am I the only one who would say that there is no difference?

You mean like a file before being zipped/rared and after being un-zipped/un-rared?

No, couldn't possibly be the same. </sarcasm>

Let's not get into that, though.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"wav vs lossless"

Am I the only one who would say that there is no difference?

I'd have to agree with you
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe he's getting at placebo? Or he made a mistake? Or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back