Greatest Mozart recordings
May 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Mozart's Requiem conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras is just phenomenal! Get the SACD of the master file from hdtracks.

May 22, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 9
I find the recording of the requiem with Sir Charles Mackerras excellent too.

I would also recommend Mozart Violin Concertos with solist Marianne Thorsen and TrondheimSolistene, available on hdtracks and 2L's website www.2l.no.

May 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, it's looking like Gidon Kremer's interpretation of the Complete Violin Concertos, recorded live in 2009 (in Salzburg) and just released on Nonesuch, approach a standard for successfully tinging classicism with personality. He was accused of going too far when he undertook the concertos 20 years ago, but he seems to have balanced the new versions nicely. Gorgeous…

May 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Any of the recent Rene Jacobs on Harmonia Mundi. His recent Magic Flute is phenomenal! all in sacd, you can get them on amazon

May 23, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 9
My favorite Mozart recording is Geza Anda's "Elvira Madigan" piano concerti. It's a performance that is burned into my brain cells. Fond of Szell's Eine Kleina Nachtmuzik too.

May 31, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 9
I have to thank bigshot for the Geza Anda tip: it had been years since a Mozart recording made me so emotional. Here I am listening for the third time to the Andante of Concerto no 17 with goosebumps in full force
redface.gif

Since I am here, I'll second LugBug1 recommendation for Jacobs Figaro, my favourite recording of any Mozart opera and one of my "desert island" CDs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back