Greatest Guitarist: Virtuosity & Creativity
Jul 11, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #91 of 153

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #92 of 153

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #97 of 153
^Ha!  Don't forget Phil! My ex gf has some live tapes of the Emmanuel brothers playing together when they were very young...my god they were fast pickers

These three guys are virtuosic in their own rights, but together they are sublime.

MGT: Wolfgang Muthspiel, Slava Grigoryan & Ralph Towner.  Exploring any of them individually will open new worlds of brilliant sounds.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #102 of 153
bar none, Charlie Christian.

one of the first jazz guitarists, one of the first people to play electric guitar, one of the first people to play a guitar solo, basically invented the genre of bebop jazz, Charlie Parker and Dizzie Gillespie tried to copy Christian's style on their horns and revolutionized jazz music in doing so.

but basically he's just one bad ass guitar player. check out his Minton's Playhouse sessions or his solos during Benny Goodman's big band pieces. he was Jimi Hendrix before Jimi Hendrix, yet hardly anyone knows his name

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #104 of 153
I have everything Holdsworth. He is from outer space.   Adrian Belew is great.   Discipline is one of my favorite albums.  Fripp has always been a little too far "outside" for my taste (like Holdworth isn't) , but to me sometimes he seems like his mission in life is to make sure that he never plays a note in the "right" key EVER.  Which is ok, but I like some variation to the theme, play inside for a while, then outside to change it up. (though no one can deny he is a monster virtuoso, and creative genius)  Tommy Emmanuel is awesome.

Jeff Kollman is my favorite guitarist.  If I could play the sounds in my head, it would sound something like Jeff Kollman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back