Greatest Guitarist: Virtuosity & Creativity
Mar 27, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #62 of 153
I cannot believe I had never heard of Buckethead till I read this thread. Wow! There are loads of his albums on Spotify and I am slowly working my way through them and so far, everything has been brilliant.

The best guitarist I have seen live and he was voted No 2 after Hendricks as the best guitarist ever by Mojo magazine is Steve Cropper from Booker T and the MGs. I saw them support Neil Young who himself is no mean guitarist who can move from genre to genre with ease. But Cropper was out of this world with the ease at which he played. Sadly there are no videos I can find, other than Green Onions, which fails to really show how well he plays.

I will add Pete Townshend to the list

and I saw The Who on their last tour before John Entwistle died, so he goes onto the list as well as he did an amzing solo at the concert, and why not have bass players here?

Finally, this is superb.....

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #65 of 153
He's already been mentioned twice here, for which I'm glad: Django Reinhardt! Awesome playing, not hindered by his left pinky and ring fingers, which were injured in a fire at a young age.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #66 of 153
Another little video of Tosin Abasi

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #67 of 153
Prince by far my favourtie.  He may show pony a bit thats half the fun watching him.  Someone has already posted the While my guitar gently weeps solo  above which is fantastic.  Heres another great sounding solo from the song Computer blues from the Purple rain album.  Click to 2.30 if you want hit the solo.

Heres another of a  cover of Just my Imagination by the temptations. forward to 6:46 for the solo.

and another

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #68 of 153
I cannot believe no one has mentioned Tom Morello yet! He is certainly not a virtuoso but he holds a good amount of cards in the creativity department. Also Kirk Hammet, no one?? Alex Lifeson??

The rest of my list consists mostly of guitarists previously mentioned, Hendrix, Satriani, Clapton, Santana, Buckethead, Petrucci, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Albert King, John Frusciante (again not a game changer but very talented nonetheless).

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #69 of 153
Does anyone listen to Flamenco in this group?
Paco de Lucia
Vicente Amigo
Gerardo Nuñez
and the Godfather of Modern Classical Flamenco, SABICAS.

cheers

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #70 of 153
Totally forgot about Tom Morello. He definitely deserves the mention though.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever met any of these guitarists, and has that influenced you in liking them at all?

Personally I have met Steve Vai, John Petrucci and Yngwei Malmsteen. Yngwei is the only one that negatively influenced me... Instead of respecting him more, I formed a kind of disdain for him. Steve Vai on the other hand had a huge positive impact on me. The guy is just an amazing person and completely humble. Also, he has a great sense of humor. Someone asked him about the song "Stevie's Spanking" and how true it was... His response was "Ehhh" while shaking his hand from side to side. 

Quote:
I cannot believe no one has mentioned Tom Morello yet! He is certainly not a virtuoso but he holds a good amount of cards in the creativity department. Also Kirk Hammet, no one?? Alex Lifeson??

The rest of my list consists mostly of guitarists previously mentioned, Hendrix, Satriani, Clapton, Santana, Buckethead, Petrucci, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Albert King, John Frusciante (again not a game changer but very talented nonetheless).

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #71 of 153
I think most of Us forgot to mention Randy Rhodes (RIP),   Jimmy Page,   Angus Young,   Tony Iommi,   Zack Wilder. 
L3000.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #72 of 153
I do not think that this thread is really meant to be a list of greatest guitarists. It is about virtuosity and creativity. My top list would then be

Jimi Hendrix for making a guitar sing and pushing forwards what can be done with the instrument

John Entwistle for showing a bass guitar is not just about keeping the rhythm going

David Gilmour early psychedelic improvisation to soaring solos

Jimmy Page for rock soloing and use of the bow

Robert Fripp for Frippertonics and very much his virtuosity.

I have been promoting Tosin Abasi on the thread because of the speed players, he is astounding.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #73 of 153
I can't stand Yngwei either. Perfect example of speed without substance. 

Quote:
Does anyone listen to Flamenco in this group?
Paco de Lucia
Vicente Amigo
Gerardo Nuñez
and the Godfather of Modern Classical Flamenco, SABICAS.

cheers

Yep Paco is exceptional. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #74 of 153

Quote:
I do not think that this thread is really meant to be a list of greatest guitarists. It is about virtuosity and creativity. My top list would then be

Jimi Hendrix for making a guitar sing and pushing forwards what can be done with the instrument

John Entwistle for showing a bass guitar is not just about keeping the rhythm going

David Gilmour early psychedelic improvisation to soaring solos

Jimmy Page for rock soloing and use of the bow

Robert Fripp for Frippertonics and very much his virtuosity.

I have been promoting Tosin Abasi on the thread because of the speed players, he is astounding.

Yeah I know I get carried away when it come's to certain thing's. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back