Greatest Guitarist: Virtuosity & Creativity
Mar 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #32 of 153

Quote:
David Gilmore.  Can't get into technicalities because I'm not a musician.  What I know is Pink Floyd guitar solos from the 70's give me goose bumps.  He, to me is a genius.

Agree or disagree?

Can't say I find him THE best, but offcourse, the man's a genius

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #33 of 153
Any old farts here recall Frank Marino & Mahagany Rush?  A Jimi Hendrix clone that pulled it off quite well.  Seen him a few times.  Loudest concert among over 200 attended.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #34 of 153
No mention of Mr. Steve Vai yet? The man a genius on the guitar. Not only that but it is rare to find an artist who is willing to bring a teenaged guitarist on stage with him to play.

Other than that, I have to tip my hat to the Japanese guitarist Tak Matsumoto.

There are many great guitarists out there. The only one that is considered good by many that I simply cannot stand for a number of reasons is Yngwie Malmsteen. 

Also... I know I will get flamed for this one... But speaking strictly as a musician... Hendrix was not that technically talented as a guitarist. (before you all jump at my throat...) I'm not saying he was bad, but he wasn't that fantastic either. What set him apart from the rest is that he was incredibly creative, and a genius. The same can be said of Frank Zappa, not talented technically, but so creative it more than made up for it. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #37 of 153

Quote:
Nice list 9pin, but how did Warren Haynes not make the cut
confused.gif

Man You got that Right, Especially for all around (he can play any type of guitar) superbly........Thanks for pointing him out...... We could add some more.... Albert Lee, Ry Cooder, Robert Cray.........Lets add The Late great Kenny Poole!! 

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #42 of 153
There are a lot of phenominal guitarist's out there, a few that I truly like are Brian May, Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Eddie Van Halen and R.I.P. Darrel "DimeBag" Evans. A really Cool thread to start, NICE!!! 
atsmile.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #43 of 153
The answer is Tosin Abasi

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #45 of 153
Looks like it’s a lot about speed with most of the videos posted here. If that’s the case, why not go with the world record holder (he makes all others seem slow):

Speed is necessary at times, but it bores me quickly. I think Vai is the best of the creative shredders. I am a Buckethead fan too along with a whole bunch of other guitarists, but the King of all guitarists IMHO is Andre Segovia.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back