Greatest Grunge Vocalist Ever - Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, ... ?
Jun 6, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....I believe Chris Cornell was being considered for his work in Soundgarden.

Soundgarden I suppose I can agree on, but still, I don't get all the fuss about Cornell.
Oh well, guess it's just me.

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not about best band or best voice. It is who had the best "grunge" sounding voice and it is still Kurt Cobain IMO. It's like John Lydon had the best punk voice but would suck trying to actually sing.

this was a funny comment, partially true cause Rotten was probably THE punk voice.....but I think Kurt was an amazing singer whereas Rotten not so much:)

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this was a funny comment, partially true cause Rotten was probably THE punk voice.....but I think Kurt was an amazing singer whereas Rotten not so much:)

Well, Kurt was no Frank Sinatra either.
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #35 of 50
u guys r kidding right....two words....KING BUZZO...end thread here.....p.s. i do have a layne tat on my arm...got it the day above came out...once took some cid and seen them in spokane ..what an amazing Trip...those were the good ol days...thanks for the cool poll
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #36 of 50
Easily Layne Staley for me. The others all sound somewhat similar, hell rock singers. But Layne has a style and sound of his own unlike any other. It's perfect for Grunge.

And I don't consider Neil Young or Eddie Vedder to be grunge. But I do love Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam, but it's not grunge.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easily Layne Staley for me. The others all sound somewhat similar, hell rock singers. But Layne has a style and sound of his own unlike any other. It's perfect for Grunge.

And I don't consider Neil Young or Eddie Vedder to be grunge. But I do love Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam, but it's not grunge.

Sure, I can barely tell Chris Cornell and Kurt Kobain apart sometimes....on account of how normal they sound.

....and Pearl Jam isn't grunge? So if the biggest grunge band of them all isn't grunge, then what band is grunge?

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #38 of 50
Gavin Rossdale

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #39 of 50
you gotta be kidding me...eddie vedder blows away everyone here.
he's got an amazing and versatile and powerful voice,no one can sing like him.
his voice is much deeper,organic,warm and effortless than cornell's,i don't know something's off for me with cornell's voice,he sometimes sounds like a goat to me,plus i don't like the over screaming he does.
you can defintley hear why he's much better than chris cornell here:

YouTube - temple of the dog

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #41 of 50
none of the above, possibly one of those below:

mark arm, mudhoney: grunge incarnated.
mark lanegan, screaming trees: beautifully broken, dirty, gritty, grungy voice.
and, surprise candidate, greg dulli, afghan whigs: grunge's crooner.

while only the very early afghan whigs could be considered grunge (try 'dumb' off 'up in it'), dulli's the finest singer of the lot. and the way i see it, cornell and vedder aren't really grunge singers either - soundgarden might have paved the way for grunge but was more of an alternative metal band and pearl jam happened at about the same time in the same region, but was more of a classic rock band.

honorable mention for greatest volume:
tad.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #43 of 50
I think the classification of Pearl Jam is tricky. Sure, they don't sound like other Grunge bands. They aren't as heavy and their style does sound a little more like rock or alternative rock. I think, though, that their music really does give off the impression of having that grunge spirit to it, and though their sound may not show it, I think that at heart, they were a grunge band.

Edit: I think it was how raw they sounded. And this is why I think Eddie Vedder exemplified grunge vocals - because his voice was so raw and unpolished, so human.

It's kind of hard to put into words, and I don't think I sound very convincing saying it. Should they be classified as grunge? I suppose not. But I don't think I'll ever stop thinking of them as a grunge band.

Of the bunch, Vedder is the best vocalist, I think. But if he is not truly 'grunge', I guess my vote goes to either Layne Staley or Mark Lanegan. I don't like Chris Cornell much, to be honest. He's technically impressive, sure, but I think he lacks that element of rawness that I always think of when I think of grunge.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted Eddie Vedder. He may not have the best vocals, but since this is a "Greatest" poll, he is the only one that is alive and/or does not suck today (I'm looking at you, Mr. Cornell, one of the best cases of "what could have been..."). I think Vedder is certainly the most talented overall, and I do not care what all the Kurt Cobain worshipers say, he was overrated. Nirvana may have the "death bump", but Pearl Jam will go down as the best Grunge band ever since they have demonstrated that they can last as a band and still kick ass live way after the others have been and gone.

This is grunge music. Being alive today should disqualify you from any "Greatest" list. It's like the stones touring with walkers.

Personally though it's close between Stanley and Cobain.

I really dislike both soundgarden and pearl jam because of Cornell and Vedder's vocals. I think I'd like the music, but the vocals just ruin it for me.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by PachmanP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is grunge music. Being alive today should disqualify you from any "Greatest" list. It's like the stones touring with walkers.

Personally though it's close between Stanley and Cobain.

I really dislike both soundgarden and pearl jam because of Cornell and Vedder's vocals. I think I'd like the music, but the vocals just ruin it for me.

While I cannot fault you for not liking Vedder's vocals (tastes differ from person to person), surely you jest in your assertion about having to be dead to be great in Grunge. It is just another genre in music, why the race to die? Death does not equal greatness; death equals dumbass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back