Greatest Grunge Vocalist Ever - Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, ... ?
Jun 3, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #16 of 50
I voted Eddie Vedder. He may not have the best vocals, but since this is a "Greatest" poll, he is the only one that is alive and/or does not suck today (I'm looking at you, Mr. Cornell, one of the best cases of "what could have been..."). I think Vedder is certainly the most talented overall, and I do not care what all the Kurt Cobain worshipers say, he was overrated. Nirvana may have the "death bump", but Pearl Jam will go down as the best Grunge band ever since they have demonstrated that they can last as a band and still kick ass live way after the others have been and gone.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eddie Vedder. No one can give such a raw, emotional performance, and I don't just mean in grunge. He's my favourite vocalist, period.
biggrin.gif

I happen to know my friend's opinion on this, and he prefers Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees).

Second this on Vedder!

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #19 of 50
This was not a toughie for me. I don't believe Kurt was nearly the best singer on the poll. But when it comes to GRUNGE singing he is the example. If we were to take away the word grunge and say Who is the best ROCK singer out of these 5 guys, Kurt would surely not make the top. But if we are are canonizing them as grunge singers............ There's no argument, there's no debate, in my opinion. Kurt is THE grunge singer....the greatest one, and in my opinion, there really is no need for a poll when asking who was the greatest GRUNGE singer.........its obvious to me.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #21 of 50
I've read recently that Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumkins have said that
Layne Staley had an amazing voice.

Tom Morello (Audioslave) called Layne Staley an 'amazingly talented singer'.

I've also read that Layne Staley could convey naked emotion [size=medium]like no other[/size].

Quote:

The band became known for its distinct vocal style,
which often included the "snarl-to-a-scream" vocals of Staley,
as well as the harmonized vocals of Staley and Cantrell.

(From here.)

What do you think?

beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #22 of 50
gotta go with Layne...

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted Eddie Vedder. He may not have the best vocals, but since this is a "Greatest" poll, he is the only one that is alive and/or does not suck today (I'm looking at you, Mr. Cornell, one of the best cases of "what could have been..."). I think Vedder is certainly the most talented overall, and I do not care what all the Kurt Cobain worshipers say, he was overrated. Nirvana may have the "death bump", but Pearl Jam will go down as the best Grunge band ever since they have demonstrated that they can last as a band and still kick ass live way after the others have been and gone.

It's not about best band or best voice. It is who had the best "grunge" sounding voice and it is still Kurt Cobain IMO. It's like John Lydon had the best punk voice but would suck trying to actually sing.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not about best band or best voice. It is who had the best "grunge" sounding voice and it is still Kurt Cobain IMO. It's like John Lydon had the best punk voice but would suck trying to actually sing.

Actually.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only Grunge rock is considered here.

We consider only their vocals and vocal abilities.
This is not about how good they were as frontmen, composers, lyricists, etc.
This is not about their physical appearance, showmnaship, leadership, etc.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #28 of 50
I don't get it. If you can call Audioslave grunge, there's no point in considering it a separate style. Grunge is noisy, sloppy, guitar and a raucous voice. Audioslave is all slick and smooth compared. IMO, of course

I'm in on Mark Arm, and Courtney Love.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it. If you can call Audioslave grunge, there's no point in considering it a separate style. Grunge is noisy, sloppy, guitar and a raucous voice. Audioslave is all slick and smooth compared. IMO, of course

I'm in on Mark Arm, and Courtney Love.

....I believe Chris Cornell was being considered for his work in Soundgarden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back