Greatest Bass Playing...(acoustic/electric)
Mar 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #46 of 104
One mo' shortie…fretless Percy Jones…

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #49 of 104

Yep - I often think Laird glued the textures of the different strands of music together but then depending on the changes - he would add more or take something away - that is a real gift...
Quote:
I think Laird gets overlooked, especially because Cobham was such a pyrotechnical drummer, but it was that entire rhythm section that made Mahavishnu such a powerhouse.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #50 of 104
another amazing and not so well known bassist.. Richard Bona. 
He plays a lot with Pat Metheny and has excellent solo albums.  
He is great singer and percussionist too. 
his style is very eclectic so its hard to capture him in 1 song.   the song i really wanted to feature is HERE
but here goes.  solo around 3:00  
and he plays a fodera... which means being awesome is actually a requirement... :wink:

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #53 of 104
lets not forget our 2011 grammy winner.. Esperanza Spalding!!!

she gets two because shes beautiful, can sing like a beast, and tear up the bass. awesome, awesomer, awersomerest!

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #55 of 104

Different strokes....that is easily my least favorite track off that album. Always makes me think "gee I wish I was listening to "Hold on I'm Coming"".....the rest of the album is just stunning.....
Quote:
so it looks like im hijacking this thread - with awesome!!

in my humble opinion one of the greatest bass lines of all time.. and damn good song.. INCREDIBLY hard to play this groove..  I have NEVER heard anyone play this song with anything but SHAME compared to the funk Jaco laid down.  a masterpiece of bass, especially that wiked bridge.  ooooh.. chills... chills

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #57 of 104

Quote:
nice!

i see your melvin gibbs,6:07 and raise you a victor wooten - the whole damn thing (a little solo at 2:00ish.
i could have chosen his famous outlandish sinister minister solo, but this song and the one that follows are more elegant... and grooooovy!

lovers leap.. one of my all time favorite songs - wiked smoothe bass solo 3:18

I saw them on that tour....what a thing to see!
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #58 of 104
^ indeed, quite literally an entire band of virtuoso musicians.   they also put out amazingly well mixed live albums. 

listening to more defunkt.. i now konw where the early red hot chili peppers got 90% of their influence.. maybe the other 10% was mr. bungle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back