Greatest Bass Playing...(acoustic/electric)
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #31 of 104

A classic!
Quote:
and one more for the old timers - the inventor of slap bass Larry Graham and another wiked funktastic bass line

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #32 of 104

Seriously? Only ONE mention of Les Claypool? That man can WAIL on the bass!

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #35 of 104
Yeah…I just wanna hear stuff that's natural and musical…that keeps the groove creatively, without beating you over the head with it.

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #36 of 104
Greatness is multi-faceted....different kinds of bass playing work for different kinds of expression. Soloing can sometimes overtake the musical necessity of a given expression - then it can start to feel laboured but there are many great bassists out there who from time to time (especially in concert) make this mistake....for that matter - any instrumentalist - live performance - extended solos etc....in the wrong musical work - can bring the piece right down

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #38 of 104

Quote:
thats all well and good.. but this is a proper les claypool wail..  :wink:

The video-camera looks like it was strapped to the head of a hyperactive seal, but DANG that dude can slap n' pop that bass!

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #39 of 104

This is one of the greatest bassists of our time (if you like metal). Sure he's painted up like Satan, and his facial expressions scream "I-eat-babies", but Ryan Martinie is crazy talented.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #42 of 104

Quote:
Yeah…I just wanna hear stuff that's natural and musical…that keeps the groove creatively, without beating you over the head with it.

as my music tastes have changed drastically over the years, one thing ive come to appreciate, especially as a musician, is how some of the best music out there is not composed of show off musicians, but rather many musicians all playing very simple parts.  Sly and the family stone, james brown and others have perfected this. 

Quote:

This is one of the greatest bassists of our time (if you like metal). Sure he's painted up like Satan, and his facial expressions scream "I-eat-babies", but Ryan Martinie is crazy talented.

he is quite phenomenal.  he seems very well educated in music theory.  I've always admired his playing and level of skill.  I was quite a mudvayne fan back in my day :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back