Great Ultrasone Edition 8 review
Mar 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #46 of 64
They also respond very well to different amps in my opinion.  On some amps they are too bassy for my taste but on others they are just right.  I would go for a more neutral sounding amp, which is why I think your B52 might not be the best of matches knowing from Ray Samuels house sounds which is a little on the darker side.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #47 of 64
Thanks, for the suggestion. I'm sensitive to upper-mid piercingness so darker amps are what I always like, and the B52 subdues these things nicely for me, in a sophisticated tube-colored way.
I would not like the Ed.8s any more tipped up in those upper mids at all (and that goes for just about all phones for me: 800s, T1s, HE6s, you name it). I even like the B52 on LCD2s.
All headphones sound too tipped up to me except 650s and LCD2s. Funny, I get even less tolerant of shrill highs as I get older...
I love the B52 because it retains the substance and saturation of musical objects but holds back on the ear-bleeding aspect.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #49 of 64
As I said, I think your best bet is burn in since they are still brand new.   To me, most headphones sound pretty crappy out of the box.

After burn in, if you like the overall sound signature but wish it was a little less bassy, a little more open, etc. then I would look into a cable to slightly alter the sound signature to your liking.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #50 of 64
As far as comfort goes, I was worried because I had Stax O2s long ago once and the ear cavity crushed my ears and I hated that and sold them.
But the Ed8s are fine, as the cavity is deep and the space is long vertically, so it doesn't press the top of my ears.
And it's really soft and nice-feeling, with great filler inside there.
I actually have the limited editions, as they were out of stock on the plain rutheniums I ordered so they upgraded me for just a few bucks.
Maybe that's why they are so comfortable.

But yeah, they just have that nice combination of detail and silky-softness that I think is the holy grail of high-end tonality.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #51 of 64
No doubt, as long as your ears fit inside the ED 8 slightly small ear cups, which mine do, they are very, very comfortable indeed.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #53 of 64
Roughly 4 feet.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #55 of 64
Man, these things are NICE. I sat down and listened to Days of future passed (moody blues), Joni MItchell, Grand Funk, Elton John, a mix of CDs and SACDs, and
after an hour or so the bass locked into place, the highs calmed down, the mids filled out and gained substance and transparency and fluidity (and the bass also got more transparent and the highs were wonderful
and sweet and fluid with a real tube signature), and I just got lost in the music. I like these better than R10s I'm familiar with.
The music just flows, and the overall sound is just plain natural, and that's the highest-praise adjective I can think of.
The vocals seem more pure with less glare then the R10s, especially on so-so recordings.
The Ed 8s are very nice on these problematic CDs, smoothing out the rough edges, kind of anti-ruthlessly-revealing but not blunted and not masking things.
Percussion has stunning impact.

I think the B52/Ed.8 combo is a great match here.

I thought something was up when I read that some folks posting here were actually buying 2nd pairs, or upgrading to the limited edition,
as I never heard of that except with R10s, but now I can relate.

If Ultrasone can ever get their act together with the Edition 10 (11 maybe someday?), I will sell of some of my other phones to finance it.
Thanks again for reading my stream of consciousness here.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #58 of 64
Balanced with TWag they work great for me from my SR71-B

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #59 of 64
Excellent thread. I just now read it in full. I just got done playing with the Denon AH-D7000's and found they leak FAR too much sound for my taste. I am quite interested in these headphones, but am still new to the headphone market. What would you guys say is comparable to these headphones in terms of build and price? I was looking at the T5P, and saw the R10 mentioned in this thread as well.  Any impressions of similar closed headphones would be much appreciated.

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #60 of 64

Quote:
Excellent thread. I just now read it in full. I just got done playing with the Denon AH-D7000's and found they leak FAR too much sound for my taste. I am quite interested in these headphones, but am still new to the headphone market. What would you guys say is comparable to these headphones in terms of build and price? I was looking at the T5P, and saw the R10 mentioned in this thread as well.  Any impressions of similar closed headphones would be much appreciated.

That was the reason I sold them off too. They were my closed headphones for when my wife and kids were around and unfortunately they didn't isolate as much as I needed and they did leak quite a bit. The Ed. 8s (while sounding better to my ears) isolate almost as good as my Westone 4 IEMs.

For a lot less $$, I found the DT770/600s sounded great and did an admirable job with regards to isolation/leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back