GREAT TIPS: MICROPHONIC CABLE NOISES and BASS INCREASE
Sep 22, 2008 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

brunoampm

New Head-Fier
Here is a tip to solve microphonics problem:
Put a little bit of super glue where the cable meets the end of the earphone plastic pipe. This will quit cable hitting, and stops completely most cable noises.
And use a clip on the t-shirt, too.

And to increase bass, do this modd with a tape (I use a medical tape).
THE BASS WILL INCREASE, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO LOWER THE MID-BASS AND UPPER BASS WITH EQ TO BE HARMONIC. THE SUB-BASS WILL APPEAR

cable.jpg

THE BASS WILL INCREASE, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO LOWER THE MID-BASS AND UPPER BASS WITH EQ TO BE HARMONIC. THE SUB-BASS WILL APPEAR

Can do with IEMS TOO

bass.jpg

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 19
Hi!

Ok, first tip is ok. thanks.

But the second...
Think about it for two minutes.
You cannot increase anything by blocking the sound.
the only thing you are doing is blocking the heights and mid of the sound and so the bass sounds increased.
Sorry.

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 19
No Cristox, you are wrong, not only the bass increases a lot, but the volume increases a lot too. It is physics. Subwoofers gests louder when they are closed in a box with just a small port. Try to put your floor speakers under a table to hear what happens... the sound will gain a lot, because the waves will float in a direct way and reverbarates! This bass modd can change any earbud to a fantastic basshead sound, and you will save batteries because the sound will get louder. It works like SILENT CAP found in Sony earbuds. Do this and the sound will flow in the air directly to your ear and not scape, very powered. I can hear/feel 20 htz (ultra low bass) very strong with any earbud after this modd (look for single freq tones on web and do this test).

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 19
First mod is possibly a good idea. Not sure.

But I agree, I don't see how the second can improve the sound. It'd be like putting your hands on the back of grado's.... Sounds TERRIBLE!

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tacitapproval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what way is tape like an acoustically ported cabinet? I am trying to imagine the physics behind this comparison, but can't get there.

Heheh...
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 19
I think what he's getting at is a contrived form of a bass-reflex system.

If anyone has a Sony micro/mini system, they will know that Sony use 'cheat' bass. Some of the bass that would otherwise be trapped is cunningly released by using the internal resonance of the speaker cavity itself. If you're even more clever, or a geek like me, you can place the rear port at the right distance from a wall, getting even more bass return.

This isn't 'good' bass as it relies on resonance which will invariably degrade the signal and increase the THD, but it provides small speakers with some impact.

But it looks more like he has, luckily in my opinion, made a part-sealed system such that the port is your ear canal. But a porous material like medical tape blocking sufficient signal seems a little odd to me.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 19
"But it looks more like he has, luckily in my opinion, made a part-sealed system such that the port is your ear canal."

You got the ideia Ben!!! PLease, all of you, don't judge this modd before trying it. It is SUPER SIMPLE to do. The difference will AMAZE ALL YOUR EARBUDS, and even IEMS like Ex-90 (just close the vents). The midrange and highs will drown a little, but with a little EQ help from Iaudio or computer, can be perfect fixed. And you will realize that the more vented area you close with tape, the more bassy sound you get. So at the begining, put just a little of tape in a small area to hear the difference.

And Ben, this tape is porous but works great. The sound from my earbuds now have the same strong bass waves and sub-tone lines from bass guitars, that are like live presentation.

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 19
I actually did this with my Sony EX-90LP's, after reading the modding thread. It does give you a great deal of extra bass, but it isn't punchy bass, it's just more bass. If that's your thing then fine, but my X10's have far more impact than those ever could, and the bass feels like a mini-subwoofer. In my opinion, feeling the bass is just as important as hearing it, maybe even more so. After all, that is why people watch movies at the cinema, to be shaken by a huge THX system
happy_face1.gif

I used blu-tac (!) to seal the two kidney-shaped holes, and half of the round hole. The bass is much better, but the soundstage closes up massively, it loses almost all its stereo separation once you do this. The sound can no longer breathe. The mids and highs are affected a bit, but they're not nearly as noticeable as the detrimental effect on the soundstage.

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 19
I am confused, I made a few sub boxes in my time for myself and friends back in the day and I remember them being very difficult to tune well but if this is indeed a quick and dirty way of getting more bass, then I wanna try it.. A few questions:

Which side do I put the tape on? The side I stick in my ear or the side that sticks out of my ear? How much tape should I use? Um, ok, I guess that's about it.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Ben, after modd, you will have to use EQ all the way to get balanced mids and highs. Belive it or not, I guess the EX-90 metal housing gives lower sub-impact than Ex-85 (wich I have). This one is made of plastic and I do belive it naturally reverbaretes more. And it is known for its punchier bass than EX-90. I am using Ex-85 with Fiio amp in the streets and the bass gives almost complete sub bass extension, in hearing and tactile feeling way. It is FAR BETTER than UE5Eb wich I consider kind of boxed, not wet "natural reverbarete wave" bass, and not that deep. You can see my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...x-85-a-360261/

Again, this just works with EQ. Must be and Iaudio to increase the highs and get balanced.

The best sound I have in my many years of sound experience including my beloved technics 2.1 with 12’ woofer, disco clubs, live shows etc and many other audiophile experiences is my “gold nirvana made” Sony E-848, that is more than burned-in.

Stikk, begin putting the tape covering 30% of the earbud, in the part that does not enter in contact with your ear canal.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by brunoampm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stikk, begin putting the tape covering 30% of the earbud, in the part that does not enter in contact with your ear canal.

Cheers, I will give it a try and see what happens. I am using the standard ipod earbuds and they have holes (I assume they are little vents) at the top, should I block them like ben suggested?

Sep 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #13 of 19
Alright, sorry for the double post but I got bored of waiting for a reply and tried this out for myself!
tongue_smile.gif
Here's what I did:

255i8ea.jpg

I can't say I'm overwhelmed, there is definitely a bass boost but it isn't huge and it just kinda sounds like I turned the bass up on my EQ (which I didn't). The sound bottoms out and just sounds a bit muddy. I wasn't expecting miracles, in fact, I'm amazed it did anything and obviously, these are not the best headphones in the world but I don't think it turned them into a pair of super.fi 5EBs
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't expecting miracles, in fact, I'm amazed it did anything and obviously, these are not the best headphones in the world but I don't think it turned them into a pair of super.fi 5EBs
tongue_smile.gif

i LOL and smiled at these lol

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 19
Very interesting mods. I wouldn't do it but as long as OP is happy, it's great find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back