Great portable SQ Closed Headphones for $350??
Mar 24, 2008 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

adkimemory

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a great portable closed set of headphones for around $350 or less. I need them to be portable as I'm never around the house, but am willing to carry an amp around. I need them to be closed as I work in the library often (isolation is not important, leakage is).

I usually listen to rock or classical. I listen to a lot of piano, and vocals are VERY important to me. I'm not to big on hip hop or hard rock, so bass is not as important to me.

anyone have any suggestions?

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by outbreak123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i've read, Audio Techinca ESW9 is one of the best closed portable headphone. Maybe IEM like Shure SE530 or Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10.

Someone around here said the ES7, non woodie, was better than the woodie, and the wood wasnt worth the money.

Matt

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone around here said the ES7, non woodie, was better than the woodie, and the wood wasnt worth the money.

Matt

Of course, I think that was also the only person who actually had that opinion from people who have heard/own both. So YMMV.

Not sure about the ESW9, but the ES7 leak if you listen to any bass or treble heavy songs. I have to lower the volume/switch to classical.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 18
For what you listen to and where, I would recommend the Livewires Custom IEM for $250 + shipping, plus whatever ear impressions cost you to get and send (my local Beltone Hearing Center is $15 for impressions).

They sound kinda like my Grado RS-2 which have the upgraded APureSound cable, but have a wider/better soundstage than the Grado.

If you want over the ear cans, the Ultrasone HFI-780 with the S2-Audio re-cable is $205 + $115 and they block sound and don't leak sound, and can fold up two ways, but aren't as small as the Audio Technica. I have heard them stock and they need too many hours for burn-in, but with the ALO audio re-cable they only need 200 hours, but that is $450 and above your budget.

With the Livewires, you could almost ALSO afford some ATH-ANC7 noise canceling from Amazon ($96) - they don't sound as good as the others listed, while still killing the Bose and eating them for breakfast (to coin a phrase from another head-fi'er).

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 18
Most of the good sounding AKG's and Senn's are open and have a significant amount of bleed like the Grado's do. IEM's, I'll chime in on, If you like thumping bass and pumping beats get the Shure's. If you like crispness without harshness and a big airy soundstage get the UE Triple.fi's. IEM's do not bleed at all so you don't need to worry about that.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 18
Bleed eh? Thats a new one!
tongue.gif

Matt

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 18
The Sennheiser HD25-1 II is one of the finest closed headphones around. It also happens to be small, portable, and nearly indestructible. Spare parts are available for all components and it is eminently tweakable with adjustable headband, choice of pads, and the same detachable Senn cable connections as on the big cans.

Unlike many Senns, the closed sound is not unlike a pair of Grados, with a very detailed high end sparkle, but it has a very linear and deep bass without being boomy. Mids are strong as well. In short, a great headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD25-1 II is one of the finest closed headphones around. It also happens to be small, portable, and nearly indestructible. Spare parts are available for all components and it is eminently tweakable with adjustable headband, choice of pads, and the same detachable Senn cable connections as on the big cans.

ESW9 seems to have better SQ. Of course it cannot compete with Senns isolation and durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back