great portable amp for around $100 - can it be done?
Apr 9, 2009 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been out of the loop for a while, but am looking for a portable amp, around $100, that sounds great with an iPod and pocketdock.

Anything that fits the bill in this price range (preferably new, but used is cool too).

thanks!
J.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 15
Travagans Colors 59.00 USD rechargeable, smooth, excelent SQ, very small.

Nu-Force Icon Mobile 99.00 USD Rechargeable, Smooth, DAC, Not enough volume for me but I seemed to be the only one here at Head-fi that feels that way

IBasso T-4 109 USD ( I have not heard but I've read that it gives the Nuforce a run for it's money.)

Larger and not so pretty as the others is the Headroom Total Airhead.99.00 USD excelent SQ and build quality and Headroom C/S is excelent.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 15
The T4 sounds excelent feed from my iPhone

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to add the mini3. A great little amp.

Agreed. Would be my choice for sub $100 (in fact...it is
tongue.gif
)

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for the Mini3. I got mine from a local DIY'er for about $60, an awesome bargain.
biggrin.gif

Wow, wish I could get one built for that price. The only places I've seen that make them charge $150-160 for them. I think Mister X's price is less than that, but I don't have his email address anymore to get in contact w/ him.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 15
My vote goes to the T4. I had the Icon Mobile, but the T4 is a better amp, more compact, has a bass boost, and sounds excellent with all my DAPs. It is a warmer amp, so I would be careful in terms of which phones I paired it with. You don't mention your phones.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote goes to the T4. I had the Icon Mobile, but the T4 is a better amp, more compact, has a bass boost, and sounds excellent with all my DAPs. It is a warmer amp, so I would be careful in terms of which phones I paired it with. You don't mention your phones.

So Shure SE530's + T4 is overkill since the SE530's has more than enough bass?

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 15
The bass boost on the T4 hardly makes any audible difference at all but doing the dfkt mod is supposed to turn it into a bass monster.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The T4 sounds excelent feed from my iPhone

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso T4 or Mini3 (especially if you can DIY).

I have both, and they're fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The T4 sounds warm and very nice. I like it.

I also like the T4 a lot, plus it is so small that it almost disappears.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 15
mini3 without a doubt
smily_headphones1.gif
Have you considered starting some DIY? If not, mini3's come up in the for sale forum now and then for about $100.

As for contacting MisterX, just find a post by him and pm him? I think he's often found in the y1 DAC thread in the DIY discussion forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back