Great Music Videos
Apr 9, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #46 of 65
Weapon of choice... good call. Chris Walken tight.

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #47 of 65
busta rhymes-put your hands where my eyes could see

Apr 9, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #49 of 65
essential vids:

coil's tainted love... a completely different take on the soft cell classic. dark, disturbing, funny for people with a strong sense of irony.

bogdan raczynski's my love i love and ahou bouken are manic and fun, with mlil having several interpretations.

plaid's new family is an exercise in suggestion, while eyen and itsu are more straight-forward yet still trippy and story-driven.

the flasbulb has a good autumn windows video that is striking for claymation.

red snapper's image of you has quite the surprise ending and it's a cool trip-hop track either way.

any massive attack or chris cunningham video.

Apr 10, 2003 at 2:19 PM Post #51 of 65
I'm a regular reader of director-file.. tis great
smily_headphones1.gif

Absolutely love michael gondrys work, especially with bjork (so many great ones to choose from).. cunningham as well, all is full of love is easily my favourite video ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Cunninghams video for Autechre is of note also, available on the Gantz Graf DVD release...

What else.. Amon Tobin - 4 Ton Mantis is excellent, Mr. Scruff - Honeydew too.

http://videos.antville.org/topics has a list of available videos on the web for anyone interested (small but decent qaulity artists).

Apr 11, 2003 at 10:44 AM Post #52 of 65
Hmmm... I've always been a fan of Massive Attack's Karma Coma

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
the best video ever is prodigy's "smack my bitch up."

Quote:

The Prodigy Smack My Bitch Up. ............. The Coen Brothers would have been proud of it!.....

I think the lack of comment on this video is because it was banned from the US. Great video with a twist at the end that would shock anyone!

-dd3mon

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:06 AM Post #54 of 65
We always show people the Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy video to freak them out
wink.gif

yeah... that's.. pretty freaky.

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:13 AM Post #55 of 65
Speaking of the Prodigy video... I think that y'all just solved a long standing discussion between my cousin and I. We heard that song (or at least I think it was that song) on a mix CD and for some reason neither of us could figure out who the artist was. Now I know.

Apr 11, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #56 of 65
Listening to Play yesterday, got reminded of the "Run on" video. Haven't seen it for a while but I was quite amused at the time.

Apr 12, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
click the link below for info/vids on chris cunningham and michel gondry, imo two of the most talented music video directors in the world.

http://www.director-file.com/

Don't know why it's linked from there but if anyone likes Boards of Canada their website is a visual hoot.
I also have to put in for Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express video. It's laughable but that's part of the fun

Jun 13, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by hongda
UNKLE: Rabbit in your headlights

Can't argue with that one. One word: intense. Damfine job they did on it, too, I still remember my thought patterns the first time I saw it.

"Pyramid Song" is the one that really opened my ears to the new Radiohead. I didn't "get" them until I saw the video for that.

I really like that Sigur Rós one for (untitled) off the new album.
smily_headphones1.gif
evil_smiley.gif

That Aphex Twin one is awesome (I forget which one I saw, I think it was "Windowlicker").

Some classics that come to mind:

Yes - "Changes" (the one where it's just the five of them standing there, and they do all this photoshop stuff to them; just plain silly fun)

The Cars one, from the same period was a lot of fun, too. "You might think" I think is the name of the song.

There was a Bob Seger one that made fun of all the movie videos, it was scenes from a movie that doesn't exist. And I really wanted to see that movie, too.

I haven't seen "Buddy Holly", "Smack My Bitch Up", or "Just".

"Black Hole Sun" freaked me out.

"Jeremy" -- such dark topic material.

INXS "Beautiful Girl" -- great social commentary. Ditto Devo's "Beautiful World"

The one for "One" by U2 is pretty good. Moving song to begin with, so maybe it's the song more than the video.

Brothers Quay did some videos for a group called "His Name Is Alive" that are as awesome or awesomer than any Tool video (which are often pretty awesome).

Peter Gabriel's videos were great ("Steam", "Sledgehammer", etc.).

Seeing Walken dance for the first time, like...ever was mindblowing at 2am.

I think "Gantz_Graf" is necessary, I refuse to listen to the song without watching the video (especially since I can).

And, of course, the classic for pubescent boys, "Girls On Film" by Duran Duran (the long version). Also, "The Night Porter" homage, "The Chauffeur" (a very Kraftwerk-esque song, BTW).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back