GREAT IDEA: Head-Fi Approved
Dec 3, 2006 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

penguindude

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys (especially the people in charge of Head-fi.org),

Out of nowhere, i just thought of a really cool and money making idea for Head-fi. And this is to put "Head-fi Approved" logos onto audio equipments deemed worthy. Just like how they do it with "THX," but better!
etysmile.gif

This will definitely help with people's purchasing choice and establish some ways to get some money from those who want to get "approved".

biggrin.gif
Sorry if my idea just sounds stupid.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not stupid, but it is a bad idea...

X2

It's not a bad idea, but implementation would be extremely difficult.

So much so that Jude would have to charge an exorbitant fee for the imprimatur. Of course, that would definitely hell out the coffers.

But think about how difficult it would be. The site is not exactly centralized, how would a panel be established to review items?

Because the last thing we want is a situation where all that's required for approval is a big check. there would have to be an actual approval process.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 14
Horrible idea. It would lead to such a great mess/drama and Jude would never approve of the idea. The whole money thing is the worst part (That's the last thing we need in the audio world, money tied to product approval...).

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
critical mass? since when did labels transform into a nuclear reaction?

critical mass
–noun 1. Physics. the amount of a given fissionable material necessary to sustain a chain reaction at a constant rate.
2. an amount necessary or sufficient to have a significant effect or to achieve a result: a critical mass of popular support.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 14
I think it would be messy.

Think about the sponsors. What if their products weren't approved? Or if only some of their products were approved? Aside from hurt feelings, I imagine that some money would be at stake.

I am not implying that the sponsors have substandard products. For the record, every sponsor I've bought from has ranged from very good to excellent. This is just speculation about what could happen.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Products can and should rise and fall on their own merits in the marketplace. You already know what's good by reading the forums, right? What more do you need?

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 14
Yea, i agree it's a bad idea, due to the diverse and the lack of centralized body of this site. And the fact that audio listening is subjective which cannot be measured by numbers or science. But then again, look at those site for tech reviews and stuff, companies are actually willing and proud to display their product being "popular" or "approved" by popular sites/reviewers.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
critical mass
–noun 1. Physics. the amount of a given fissionable material necessary to sustain a chain reaction at a constant rate.
2. an amount necessary or sufficient to have a significant effect or to achieve a result: a critical mass of popular support.

jest–noun
1.a joke or witty remark; witticism.
2.a bantering remark; a piece of good-natured ridicule; taunt.
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #12 of 14
Go easy guys, keep it civil before the mods lock this one. It IMHO is a fun idea in concept.

Ain't gonna happen.... A year ago I tried to get Koss and Head-fi to collaborate and make a Head-Fi KSC75 for forum members.

There were business and legal complications in using the Head-Fi logo name and web forum to generate revenue for the headphone manufacturer. Jude is VERY protective of the head-fi name, and does not want it to be abused or used unlawfully to generate $$$ profit for someone besides Head-Fi.

Ain't gonna happen...

That is what made the HF1 such a rare and unprecedented event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back