Great headphones for Rock?
Apr 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Knightwolf15

Head-Fier
I have always gotten very general purpose headphones. Well-rounders if you will. Then I subscribed to spotify and made playlists for eat genre. Slowly but sure I noticed electronic, classical, jazz, pop, Rap/R&B, and "heavy" (metal, gym music, some screamo) hovering from low double digits to around 200. My general Rock playlist is now sitting at over 1200 songs... obviously there is a large disparity. I have Shure SRH840s for home, beats studio 2013s for portable (they actually sound about as good as the shure, they're just very colored but clarity is pretty decent midfi). I realize I should probably get a set of cans dedicated to rock music. I'm willing to spend up to 300 and it will be powered with my Magni Modi stack. They can definitely be open but I'm not apposed to close(although they are exclusively going to be used at home). I've heard great things about Grado. Recently I've been listening to alot of Muse, Breaking Benjamin, Safetysuit, Incubus, STP, Hendrix. Most of the Rock falls within those band's effective subgenres. Sorry for the rambling but I'd really appreciate recommendations based on my taste if possible. Thanks in advance guys!

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 40
Most of my collection falls under the "Rock" banner.

I just picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990's (premium 250 Ohm) along with the Bravo Audio Ocean amp and I must say that I am very, very happy with the combo for Rock.

Extremely comfortable cans and they have excellent bass extension which can be difficult for open headphones. Depending on your taste they can be a little on the "bright" side with the treble but I think the Bravo Ocean really smoothed them out nicely.

I'm ripping my entire collection into lossless FLAC files and listening to them off my desktop while I work (home office).

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 40
SR225i. You might want an aftermarket headband. Then you'll want to mod it and make it yours.

May 2, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 40
Grado SR325i

May 2, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 40
Grab a Grado of your choice

May 2, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 40
I'll vote for HD600.

May 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 40
For $200 I'd get a new SR225 (or used and save some cash), used HD580, or used Q701 (or a little more for a new one). Whichever you get make sure the earpads are in great condition - rock(and metal) don't like worn earpads as they put the driver much closer to your ears, resulting in bloated bass and sharp treble.

May 2, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 40
While any Grado is going to sound great for rock music, I personally would recommend Sennheiser's Hd598.  I owned both the Grado SR325is and the Hd598 and decided to sell the Grado's to my dad.  The Grado's were very uncomfortable to me and the Sennheiser's have world class comfort.  In addition, the sound stage on the Sennheiser is world class, which is another area the Grados lack. 

Keep in mind I chose the 598 (around $200) over the 325is (around $300).  Ultimately it comes down to personal preference but you can't go wrong with either choice. 

May 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 40
Yeah, I forgot about that. Grados don't really have stellar comfort, it hurts when used for long hours.

May 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 40
You can always bend the headband a bit. And for rock, I'd pick even the SR80i over the HD598 any day. They just can't keep up with the Grado punchy, live and engaging sound! IMO of course.

May 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 40
You can always bend the headband a bit. And for rock, I'd pick even the SR80i over the HD598 any day. They just can't keep up with the Grado punchy, live and engaging sound! IMO of course.

Engaging sound, the HD598 definitely can't do. They're pretty relaxed. I'd too prefer Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back