great find:: cleanest usb audio,best sound
Mar 12, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #31 of 48
Trying to use a computer as a source for my music library, and being a from the non computer age group, I am holding my own, mastered adobe PS . However after reading this thread, and having to google all the different options (hardware) mentioned in this thread to understand what everyone was talking about. I am still not clear what I exactaly  need in the chain to do that for my short run from computer to dac

Being from the spinner/transport and dac era, I know its important to have clean power, and this is what your trying to achieve with using the computer, as It sound like you would want to clean up the noise coming from the computer before it gets to the dac with various hardware.

First off I don't have a player other than windows media player, what I would like to do is drag and drop into a player what I want from my library, don't need it to act like a library. If you could recommend a player that will work for me, that would be great. Next I would need to rip a fairly large CD collection in a format ( not sure what is best) that would be best for optimal SQ, and burn from that player as well, so that too would a be recommendation I need.. The I guess finally the hardware needed to run a short distance from computer to dac, no long run.  .. My objective is optimal SQ ......

I know from another thread MM said that your not going to get the SQ of the transport/spinner + dac from a computer but its getting close. I can deal with that till further tech comes available. I like the convenience factor.

Thanks for your time

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #32 of 48
thank you. i would get jriver. nice,mature and not expensive. you want an audioquest jitterbug with it's dragontail cable. infront of that it is either of the mentioned startech hubs. put thumb drives in the hub to play your music off of as well. the big thing is you are going to need to find a linear power supply. that is the most important thing and going to be the most difficult to find. sure, you can buy one for $1,000 but if you look around you can find a much more basic one which is fine for $25. you need to know the barrel size for the adapter and it is +5v. from +4.5v to +5.2v. except the $50 startech is 12v but can run as low as 4.5v. with the $25 startech you can cut the +5v coming from the pc so i really lean towards that one. you can try to find the old radioshack multi voltage regulated lps on ebat or go to mouser etc to find a wallwart lps. a really good lps is going to cost  alot. that is the key part though. anyways, i feel there are better programs to rip than jriver but to keep it simple just use it. it is fine quite frankly. you can drag and drop and a lot more. what it does for the price is very nice. or if you want free, fooobar but it is rather difficult to use. you can get better usb chains but they are a lot of money. i tried to figure out something rather cheap that works pretty good. it suppressed the noise substantially. plus you are reclocking the signal to make up for data packet loss. i am sorry i am all over the place. as you know i am not well anymore.it's okay though. as long as people put up with me i can manage.hopefully you can figure out what all i was trying to convey in this thread. it can be done under $100 and for me at least works very well. i attempted to do the job witht he bare minimum. usb left untamed is terrible.

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #33 of 48
  Trying to use a computer as a source for my music library, and being a from the non computer age group, I am holding my own, mastered adobe PS . However after reading this thread, and having to google all the different options (hardware) mentioned in this thread to understand what everyone was talking about. I am still not clear what I exactaly  need in the chain to do that for my short run from computer to dac

Being from the spinner/transport and dac era, I know its important to have clean power, and this is what your trying to achieve with using the computer, as It sound like you would want to clean up the noise coming from the computer before it gets to the dac with various hardware.

First off I don't have a player other than windows media player, what I would like to do is drag and drop into a player what I want from my library, don't need it to act like a library. If you could recommend a player that will work for me, that would be great. Next I would need to rip a fairly large CD collection in a format ( not sure what is best) that would be best for optimal SQ, and burn from that player as well, so that too would a be recommendation I need.. The I guess finally the hardware needed to run a short distance from computer to dac, no long run.  .. My objective is optimal SQ ......

I know from another thread MM said that your not going to get the SQ of the transport/spinner + dac from a computer but its getting close. I can deal with that till further tech comes available. I like the convenience factor.

Thanks for your time

The majority of folks in the world prefer iTunes; and, I am one of them. Put iTunes on your computer and you can do all you have mentioned as being important to you. Buy an Airport Express and you can wirelessly deliver music from computer to a home stereo and you can use your cell phone as a player too. Simply awesome.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #35 of 48
What makes you believe the fidelity with iTunes will be lacking? It plays hi-res PCM, as well as AIFF, and ALAC lossless, which  cannot be distinguished  it appears by most as having any less fidelity than the same material on SACD.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #36 of 48
MM does this sound correct... from computer USB >>>jitterbug with it's dragontail cable >>>>>>+ startech Hub  >>>>>+ thumb drive >>>>>+  linear power supply 

Is there a USB out from the LPS so I can connect USB mini into DAC/AMP ..

Also are saying I need to go into internals of computer to >>>> cut the +5v coming from the pc to accomplish what you said

Totally confused on this >>>>> "you need to know the barrel size for the adapter and it is +5v. from +4.5v to +5.2v. except the $50 startech is 12v but can run as low as 4.5v."
Can you explain a little more in detail, so I can follow what your saying. .. I know nothing about this

MM if its possible can you respond just like I did, as it would be much easier to read.. Try to keep each answer per small paragraph per question

I do understand your limitations if you cant. ..... Thank you

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #37 of 48

Sterling1 thanks for your input as well.

I added ITunes and Winamp today to try

It looks like in order to use I tunes, it wants you to add your music library that's on an external drive into ITunes Library  in order to play music.
I know I can keep my files on an external for I tunes Library... I don't want to do that

I just want to drag and drop what song or songs I want to play in I tunes, or rip or burn, nothing else. Can I do that, am I missing something in order to do that?

As for Winamp it lets me do exactly that.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #38 of 48

​With iTunes, your files remain anywhere you want them. All iTunes does when given permission is open the file from where ever it is stored. You do not need WinAmp at all to  enjoy iTunes. After installing iTunes, just allow it to open a file or two of some music you have stored someplace on your computer. Then you can explore the players features. But, do this without any intent beyond exploration. You will find iTunes to be the most comprehensive way to enjoy music that literally can be imagined.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #39 of 48
if you want free i would seriously use foobar. it is not as easy as itunes.
you have the correct signal chain. no mini usb for lps i know of.
the barrel size is the plug that comes from the lps to the hub to power it.
there are hundreds of sizes. mine is "h" if you get the same hub.
Mine is the $25 one.

to cut the +5v you can just put a tiny piece of scotch tape on the right side conductor of a usb cable. facing up. it is difficult though. even for those able. so unplug the power to the dac and make sure it does not show up in the devices menu.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #40 of 48

​With iTunes, your files remain anywhere you want them. All iTunes does when given permission is open the file from where ever it is stored. You do not need WinAmp at all to  enjoy iTunes. After installing iTunes, just allow it to open a file or two of some music you have stored someplace on your computer. Then you can explore the players features. But, do this without any intent beyond exploration. You will find iTunes to be the most comprehensive way to enjoy music that literally can be imagined.

So there will only be one set of files iTunes looks at where ever its is located, and not add a second set where the software program resides. ..
Correct ?

^^That's the way  Adobe LR works, I guess same principal, except LR creates a Catalog to do this, so imagine that's the same iTunes does. That catalog also resides where I have the program itself resides.

I was chatting with someone today, and they said they use iTunes only as a Library/Organizer, and link to another Player to play there files, because they prefer FlAC files.... I wasn't aware you could do that.. If in fact that can be done.
Do you know if that can be done ?

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #41 of 48
  if you want free i would seriously use foobar. it is not as easy as itunes.
you have the correct signal chain. no mini usb for lps i know of.
the barrel size is the plug that comes from the lps to the hub to power it.
there are hundreds of sizes. mine is "h" if you get the same hub.
Mine is the $25 one.

to cut the +5v you can just put a tiny piece of scotch tape on the right side conductor of a usb cable. facing up. it is difficult though. even for those able. so unplug the power to the dac and make sure it does not show up in the devices menu.

"if you want free i would seriously use foobar. it is not as easy as iTunes."

I plan to also explore foobar and jRiver.. I am aware jRiver is a paid player..

"you have the correct signal chain"

Good I have the chain right

"no mini usb for lps i know of"

What I was asking was if the LPS has a USB port, and that a USB A would connect to it with a USB B mini at the other end which would go into my Dac/Amp >>>> Yes?

" the barrel size is the plug that comes from the lps to the hub to power it."  >>>> Gotcha

"there are hundreds of sizes. mine is "h" if you get the same hub." Mine is the $25 one."   >>>> Gotcha

"to cut the +5v you can just put a tiny piece of scotch tape on the right side conductor of a usb cable. facing up. it is difficult though. even for those able. so unplug the power to the dac and make sure it does not show up in the devices menu."

Understood

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #42 of 48
Thank you Sterling1 and MM for patience with a noob
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #43 of 48
no problem. most of what i like to do here is help people. very few people have ever been dissatisfied with my recommendations but some have been very unhappy. just being honest. that is like 4 people out of thousands though.
jriver is very nice. in fact i do not know why it is so cheap, but good. roon is nicer but $$$. well, i mean for the catalog management. i think jriver in fact offers more in the way of sound customization.with sox you can get a great sound plus it uses all vst plugins. a true bargain imo.

no lps i know of has usb. however you are in luck. just like my "h" plug there ire usb plugs! i am pretty sure those are a number though. i mean not a letter like h. makes sense to me i guess. i am using a $1,000+ lps and the lps is really the whole thing here. i fully understand that is a lot of money. if i did not have it i would rather just buy music. you can get a suitable lps wallwart for less than $30. if you cannot find a used radioshack multi voltage regulated power pack mouser most certainly has something. unfortunately you will probably need to solder the wires. it is very easy and a $10 iron can do it. you get the bare wire adaptaplug at radioshack to put the barrel and usb plugs on and solder the other end to the lps wire. do not put anything in that hub other than your dac and usb memory to play music. in fact, can't you use the usb hub to power the dac after the lps is already powering the hub?

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #44 of 48
  this is true. the fidelity shall be lacking however. i won';t argue that but hundreds of people will back me up on it.

I agree. Takes 2 tracks to realise iTunes is outplayed by Audirvana+ in stand alone mode. They way it handles core audio, it just sounds way better. I can't understand folk who can't hear the difference.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #45 of 48
In my quest for the best sound quality possible from my digitally sourced music, I concentrated on devices to clean up and decrapify the USB signals sent to my Yggdrasil. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing to do. But, a thread over on CA reminded me that there are other important steps to be taken as well. One of those steps is providing clean power in the first place.

John Swenson (of UpTone Audio fame) suggested getting an isolation transformer with extremely low inter-winding capacitance (.005pf). This type of isolation transformer "doesn't pass the high frequency crud on the AV main". He then suggested using a quality power strip with no filtering or surge suppression as the isolation transformer will handle that. He recommended plugging all the audio components into the power strip. He said "This dramatically cuts down on the impedance between boxes, significantly lowering noise generated by leakage loops." John uses a Topaz isolation transformer.

I bought a 1.8KVA Topaz 91018-11 Line Noise Suppressing Utra-Isolator (.005pF) transformer and received it today. I plugged it in to a wall outlet and then plugged a TrippLite power strip with all my audio equipment (not the computer) into it. The first bit of good news is that the transformer is virtually silent. If I stick my head right next to it I can here a slight hum but it is well below the ambient noise of the room with no music playing. I have no idea how clean or dirty my AC power is on the outlet I had the audio equipment plugged into.

I can say that with the Topaz I think the noise floor is lower. In other words, the background sounds quieter. It's like the music is coming from a noiseless place. The details and clarity in the timbre of voices and instruments has improved. Finally, the separation of instruments and voices is even better than before.

Listening to Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen" is amazing. The soundstage is fantastic. It is not too wide and the I can clearly discern the location of the various instruments better than before. Wow. I just listened to CCR's "Susie Q". Wow...just wow!! The clarity, separation, and detail are incredible! As I keep listening to my favorite "critical listening" songs, I continue to be more and more amazed.

Using the Topaz isolation transformer and TrippLite power strip is certainly a step up in sound quality. I am impressed! Very Impressed!!

I am still using the Singxer F-1 to feed my Yggdrasil via its SPDIF coax port. When the ISO Regen comes out I will test it to see if there is an improvement in sound quality. But, I have to admit that I have a hard time believing it could get much better than what I am hearing now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back