Great Deal on Sennheiser CX300
Sep 24, 2009 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

daveDerek

Headphoneus Supremus
no need for an introduction for this product on these boards as they have a long history here. if someone is looking for some back up portable phones, gym phones, gifts, etc. J&R is currently offering quite a deal on them. they are selling them for $16.99 with free shipping (i probably paid close to $50 when i first bought a set several years ago)! note, these are the original cx300s, not the series II version. they can be ordered on line (Headphones at JR.com) or by phone (800-806-1115). usual disclaimer of no affiliation etc. applies.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 16
did anyone else score some of these? it's not the greatest canal phone by any means but for gifts, working out, commuting, going to sporting events and listening to the play by play calls, work, your kids, etc it's a heck of a deal and it'd be hard to beat at these prices.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 16
They've been hovering under the $20 mark at J&R for the past few weeks, coming in and out of stock. I think they're clearing inventory for the CX300-II. They're ok for $17, but definitely not the best you can do for <$25.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've been hovering under the $20 mark at J&R for the past few weeks, coming in and out of stock. I think they're clearing inventory for the CX300-II. They're ok for $17, but definitely not the best you can do for <$25.

a few years ago people were paying $50-$60 for them and were fairly happy with their overall performance which, while clearly flawed, was pleasing enough to keep 'em coming. now they're 30% of their original cost and they're deemed a so-so value at that price? what else is on the list at under $25, or better yet under $20 these days? is there much of a difference between the originals and the mk II version?

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a few years ago people were paying $50-$60 for them and were fairly happy with their overall performance which, while clearly flawed, was pleasing enough to keep 'em coming. now they're 30% of their original cost and they're deemed a so-so value at that price? what else is on the list at under $25, or better yet under $20 these days? is there much of a difference between the originals and the mk II version?

A lot has changed on the budget IEM scene in a few years. Earphones that are significantly better (IMO) than the CX300 are:

MEElectronics AI-M9
Soundmagic PL30
Soundmagic PL21
Lenntek Sonix (used to be $20 at Costco; now $20 only at Smalldog.com)

The CX300-II are purportedly a noticeable improvement on the CX300, though by how much I am not sure.

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 16
You were lucky to get your CX300 for $50. I must have paid over that price for mine (full MSRP!!!). Since now you can get a pair of better sounding SoundMAGIC for less than $20 as well, I guess $17 isn't much of a great deal anymore, at least not with so many better alternatives around.

On a side note, CX300 definitely sounds better than EP630.

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spuddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,OK not CX300 (higher up model?) & havn't got a clue how good these are.But for UK peeps might be a good price? £20.99($33.50).

That price nearly reaches my country's latest price for cx400, and I'm not sure if model number higher means better, cx300 costs more $10 than cx400 here.

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 16
Got my CX300 as a gift....should have sold it at that time....I haven't touched them in a month...and that was only for a movie..

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 16
i think i got mine for like 10-15 or somewhere there a couple years ago until i gave it away

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since now you can get a pair of better sounding SoundMAGIC for less than $20 as well.

What model of SoundMagic is that?
I'm looking for a dirt cheap one to use in the gym. Would be great if it's better than the CX300.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What model of SoundMagic is that?
I'm looking for a dirt cheap one to use in the gym. Would be great if it's better than the CX300.

PL20 and PL11, both I consider to sound better than CX300. PL30 is just slightly over $20 with free shipping, so is the new PL21 - which is said to be the hybrid of PL20 (more analytical orientated) and PL11 (more bass orientated). I haven't tried it yet but I am planing to score one soon.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PL20 and PL11, both I consider to sound better than CX300. PL30 is just slightly over $20 with free shipping, so is the new PL21 - which is said to be the hybrid of PL20 (more analytical orientated) and PL11 (more bass orientated). I haven't tried it yet but I am planing to score one soon.

how durable are the Sound Magic products? i remember hearing about some portable phone (i can't recall which one) that had gotten a lot of attention and then later on was reported to have problems with the units cracking. the cx300 should be pretty tough so for non critical listening situations at these prices they're a nice little score.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how durable are the Sound Magic products? i remember hearing about some portable phone (i can't recall which one) that had gotten a lot of attention and then later on was reported to have problems with the units cracking. the cx300 should be pretty tough so for non critical listening situations at these prices they're a nice little score.

I think the cracking issue you're thinking of is with the Phonak PFE. I've never heard of mass build issues with Soundmagic Products. I've been abusing my PL30s regularly for over a year, and everything is holding up fine except the chrome paint (which has become dull).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back