Great Bargain priced Headphones for owners of Grado RA-1 Amp
Jul 5, 2001 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
They are the Labtec Elite-840 Headphones. List price is $29.99.I got them on sale for $19.99, but I just saw that BUY.com has them for only $14.95!! I know what your'e thinking; No way can these be good headphones,especially with the RA-1,but I feel they are definitely worth checking out if you have the RA-1 Amp from Grado. First of all, the RA-1 loves 32ohm headphones, which is the impedance of all the Grado headphones. The Elite-840's are also 32ohms with 50mm drivers.They are quite comfortable and light with velvet ear cushions and self-adjusting headband. I can't say how they would sound with other amps or with portable cd players, but all I can say is that I'm very impressed. I'm not saying that they are better than Grado headphones,but for the price they sound very good and worth checking out.

Jul 6, 2001 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 4
Is it true that "most" people think that less expensive means that a product is worse than a product that is more expensive? Personally, I think it goes both ways. These Labtec headphones sound very good to "me", but may sound like crap to someone else. But, just because you see a price like "$19.99, it dosen't mean that there is no way they can be any good! The same goes for the very expensive models like the Grado RS-1 or Sennheiser HD600. Some people would say; $695 for a pair of headphones?,they can't be that good, when I can get a great pair for under $100!! But, I guess it also comes down to what you can actually afford also. I would love to have the RS-1's, but they are way above what I can afford,so I'm happy with the SR-125's. If you can afford the higher priced headphones and amps,that's great, go for it. Most of the $19.99 headphones that I have tried I did not like and returned,but these really surprised me. So, again, I guess it can go both ways as far as "price" goes. Take the Grado SR-60's; I've never seen a negative review or comment about them and they are only $69!!

Jul 6, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 4
yeah, but who's gonna pair a 30$ headphone with a 300$ amp? Like, "hm I got a great amp, now only need to find a headphone for it, but I don't have any cash left". And a good impedance match and a certain driver-size doesn't tell me how it sounds...

all seems a bit weird, but hey if they sound good...

Jul 6, 2001 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 4
Magic, actually most people on this board know there are some great headphones out there for $20 (Koss Porta series, Sennheiser MX500, etc.). Not what I would use with a $300 amp, but good nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back