"Great" Albums you just don't "get"?
Oct 21, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #31 of 239
Kind of a timely thread for me. I recently concluded that Jeff Buckley's Grace is just going to be one of those albums so many say is among the greatest, but I don't get. It is a decent album, but does nothing special for me. I know well enough to give albums plenty of time because they often grow on you -- to the point they can even become a favorite. But Grace hasn't done that for me.

Also, it was mentioned earlier, but I agree with Pink Floyd's The Wall. It has a few really great songs on it, but otherwise I just don't care for it at all.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 239
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion never did get why that album was good.
Radiohead I just don't get.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #35 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one "great" album I don't get at all is Pet Sounds. It is the only Beach Boys album I've heard, so it could be that I just don't like the Beach Boys except for their hits. I love Good Vibrations recorded at the same time so who knows.

x2 I see them as a sort of cosmic dupe to contrast with the Beatles. Great singing, hooks, but horribly bland songs and album overall that set back the experimentation that drove the 60s.

Rush - Moving Pictures. When prog rock fails, it fails hard

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #36 of 239
I'm a huge Zappa fan, I own around 70 albums. I've never liked his synclavier music. Jazz from Hell gets 4 stars on AMG and won a Grammy, but I've never liked it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink Floyd - Animals. I am a fan of Floyd. I love Meddle, Atom Heart, DSOTM, WYWH, Wall, Final Cut. But for some reason I cant seem to appreciate Animals.

I like Animals but I know a lot of PF fans who don't

Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rush - Moving Pictures. When prog rock fails, it fails hard

I was a rush fan when Moving Pictures came out and I didn't like it. Most of my friends at the time who liked Rush also didn't like it. It was the last tour I saw them in concert (also the first time I saw them in an arena). I haven't heard all that much of Rush after Moving Pictures, but what I've heard, I haven't liked.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #37 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems understandable given your username.
(That's not a value judgment, just an observation)

That would be a silly (and incorrect) judgment to make.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #38 of 239
I suppose I don't have the right to talk as a younger person who doesn't listen to many of 'the greats' other than Radiohead, but:
AC/DC - Back in Black
Metallica - Black Album

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #39 of 239
Most stuff by The Rolling Stones. I mean, I enjoy the Stones, have a lot of their albums and all that, but their music, for the most part, is simple, straightforward rock & roll. How they came to be mentioned in the same breath as The Beatles is mindboggling to me.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #40 of 239
Radiohead- This is band that I have I never understood the hype. Good band, nothing that just blows me away. Of their albums, I think the Bends is the most listenable. I find they are just a little too pretentious for my taste.

Bob Dylan- I guess I just don't get his music. I guess what he is saying lyrically is the thing that most people relate to, but the music just doesn't speak to me.

The Flaming Lips - I think these guys are terrible. Just don't hear what others are hearing.

Opeth - I like the band and music, but the cookie monster vocals just grate on my nerves. I really like their album Damnation. There are parts of other albums that I just love but overall I find it tiresome to get through most of their songs. I am fascinated by the amount of people that really love that style of singing.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #41 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno…if I don't get something, I have a hard time thinking of it as "great." Everyone else is just wrong.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I have trouble with this as well. I mean, if you actually think it is great, on some level you "get it." Perhaps it is just "great" in the sense that it is widely considered great? The responses seem to be more along the lines of "Highly regarded albums that you really don't like." Or we could just rename this thread "Radiohead sucks"
tongue_smile.gif

For me, there are a lot of albums that I consider legitimately great, but I just don't care about or don't listen to very often. A few that come to mind-

Guided By Voices- Alien Lanes
Slint- Spiderland
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless

I sort of did this same thing in the birth year album thread...

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #43 of 239
I would say Radiohead, but I've never been able to even get through an entire album they're so awful. I've heard a few songs here and there that seem okay (fake plastic trees, I could be wrong - not even sure what albums they come from), but usually whenever I hear that caterwauling voice I just tune out. Creep is my favorite song by them, lol.

Thom Yorke seems like a cool guy, but I just don't get their music. It's like they're intentionally trying to be depressed/depressing, right? Like it's really deep to be depressed because society is in such a bad state of fragmented alienation from all the technology, is that the general idea?
confused.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #44 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it is just "great" in the sense that it is widely considered great?

see, you've similarly used the quotation marks around the word great just like the topic title. I thought this was implied that it's widely considered "great"

FWIW Iron Maidens Fear of The Dark was not a "great" album, and neither was Floyd's "The Final Cut"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back