Great Albums for headphone listening??
Jan 8, 2010 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ffrr

100+ Head-Fier
While wife and fam and I are moving, I am stuck with my headphone rig(normally have a full size system) AKG 701s, Corda , woo, etc..

so.. what albums are especially great on cans?? Any and all suggestions welcome..just no rap , r and b or reggae..

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 15
It's refreshingly basic and straightforward:

yKS7E.jpg

Thomas Cunningham & The Locofocos -- Swell

Here's a preview: http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/sear...gham%20harvest

Unfortunately, it isn't "great" but it is a lot of fun.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 15
+1 to cherrybomb

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 15
OP if you are not into electronic music, I think now is an excellent time to get into some.

Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom, Converting Vegetarians (This one has perfect recording quality. Some albums I've loved the quality of on some days and not others, this one is 100% perfect).
Yggdrasil - Prose Edda
Shpongle - Are you Shpongled? (Basically their whole discography).
BT - This Binary Universe.
Oceanlab - Sirens of the sea.

Save for perhaps the oceanlab album which is just a personal pleasure, I think that any collection missing these is incomplete.

If you can handle some slightly more lowfi things
Infected Mushroom - The Gathering
Pleiadians - IFO

IMVHO electronic music works very well on headphones, particularly something like K701.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 15
Some old school Sinead O'Connor (i.e. I do not want what I haven't got / Lion and Cobra) - just to hear the unobstructed great vocals as she belts through the mid's & high's with your cans detailing in perfect clarity the subltle details often missed by poor speakers, like the extensive quivering of her voice in the instances she brings her deepest heartaches to the forefront. I particularly like track 9 of I do not want - about 3 minutes in.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 15
Also try Seis Cuerdas if you like Spanish guitar sounds - the very fine details of the guitar strings are not to be missed.

If you like Electronic (a nod to MrGreen), Seis Cuerdas is also featured in Sunlounger's "Another Day on the Terrace" - a 2 disc set: a toned down chill version and some mild vocal trance on the 2nd.

IMHO, I think the more base-heavy electronic stuff is better with speakers and a strong subwoofer - you just can't quite get the full sound pressure with cans.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 15
I find these to perform well on headphones:
Nils Lofgren - "Acoustic Live"
Michael Hedges - "Aerial Boundaries"
Øystein Sevåg - "Close Your Eyes And See"
Øystein Sevåg - "Visual (With Lakki Patey)"
Massive Attack - "Mezzanine"
Biosphere - "Substrata"
Eric Clapton - "Unplugged"

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 15
My nominess for outstanding sonic presentations on headphones are:

Rebecca Pidgeon - Tough On Crime
Queensryche - Promised Land
Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions
Eliza Carthy - Red
Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Tubular Bells 1973 by Mike Oldfield is a great instrumental album. Blues For The Red Sun by Kyuss is a surprisingly versatile album for testing too. The early work by The Verve like Storm In Heaven and Exit by K-os are worth a try. The Beastie Boys were great with samples so Paul's Boutique and Hello Nasty are options too.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #15 of 15
Supertramp Crime of the Century

Beach Boys - mmm I think it is called Pet Sounds (momentary brainerism)

Them Crooked Vultures

Nick Drake - anything by him (get the Fruit Tree and bases are covered)

Anything by John Williams!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back