Grant Fidelity coming out with a tube DAC
Aug 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

roadcykler

1000+ Head-Fier
Looks promising. Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 launched | Grant Fidelity Home Audio

If you have been a fan of music stored on your computer these days, this DAC will bring the life out of your music!

Among all sorts of solid state DAC on the market today, the Grant Fidelity tube DAC-09 stands out with its high fidelity vacuum tube output and affordable price - MSRP is under $400!

Want to own it first and save 30%? Pre-order now for shipping in less than 4 weeks free to your door (if within continuous USA and Canada).

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 15
Dec 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 15
Oh dear, this looks very familiar. Internal pics are identical if you don't get why.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 15
I was wondering where did I see this thing. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Good eye Curra...it's odd, Grant Fidelity will do this at times (while selling some truly high end stuff for mega bucks on their site)...last year they were selling re-badged Yaquin amps for nearly 3 times what they actually cost and claiming some "upgraded" version exclusive only to GF but when the amps were opened up they were exactly like their Yaquin cousins....the only difference being the slightly fancier GF chassis.

This DAC looks like a clone of a clone....of a clone
biggrin.gif
Not disclosing the DAC chip is lame as is the claim that SMT cannot cut it in the audiophile world.....malarkey.

That being said this thing is cheap and it may be pretty good for what it is...then again it may be utter crap.

Peete.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That being said this thing is cheap and it may be pretty good for what it is...then again it may be utter crap.

Peete.

It doesn't look half bad. For $275 it seems like a pretty good deal, and like one person said if it even comes close to a $2000 Cary player then it's a bargain. But it's not balanced.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 15
Grant Fidelity is a HLLY of Canada?

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grant Fidelity is a HLLY of Canada?

I wouldn't go that far. GF have actually tried to bring some quality stuff to N America but their start wasn't exactly honest WRT re-badged Yaqin gear (IMO at least).

Peete.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 15
How is HLLY any different?

Get the cheap amp from China, re-badge it as "Grant Fidelity" and make it 3 times more expensive..

HLLY copied another manufacturer, add their name, and sell it for cheaper or nearly same price...

To me, GF is worse than HLLY.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is HLLY any different?

Get the cheap amp from China, re-badge it as "Grant Fidelity" and make it 3 times more expensive..

HLLY copied another manufacturer, add their name, and sell it for cheaper or nearly same price...

To me, GF is worse than HLLY.

GF was having their stuff made by the actual parent company rather than having it cloned but I do see your point as valid.

Peete.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 15
With a CS DAC chip this must use cathode follower tube stage due to the high Vout and high output impedance of the chip, I'm not going to throw stones, just google cathode follower and decide if you think it is helping matters. They're also only pulling one rail of the differential DAC's output which lower its S/N and effective bit depth significantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back