Grail Quest - in search of beautiful flat and balanced R10,E9,K1000,G1K,D5K,W5K ???
Jun 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #31 of 43
try to match source ( full bodied but dynamic ) and IC ( same again ) to w5000 - You will not be dissapointed

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #32 of 43
I have had a similar dilema.

Ok, so I do not know a whole lot about ATH current offerings. I heard the W5000s next to all major high end headphones (including the orpheus) and got a smile put on my face. It did not beat the orpheus, needless to say but I DID like it more overall than the wet R10 and the dry omega...even though it did not have the crazy speed of the higher end (and aesthetically unbalanced phones.

The W5000 is the only ATH I have heard (except the L3000, but I did not like the sound of it very much. suposedly it is a "bass" headphone? Blegh.).

In either case, I felt that ATH is really on to something with the W5000. It was the most "good wooden cabinet speaker" like sound I had ever heard (Like all headphones, hardly perfect though, and perhaps a little bass lacking).

I recently took an apprenticeship position at Feastrex.com, a manufacturer of high end full range speaker drivers in Japan. For my personal reference of generally room free decently flat sound on the cheap, I got the ER4p with yellow tips and S convertor. it does great for my ears, but is not as nice as a full headphone in ways. Of course, the Feastrex drivers run wildly dancing circles around ANY headphone...but that is another story. It is like arguing whether a formula one car is superior to a GP500 motorbike or something. apples and oranges.

I have many chances to go to Akihabara, Tokyo now. So which ATH models should I seek out to listen to? Or should I just dump some yen on the w5000s? With the general pricing of ATH stuff it seems, price aint no thing given my budget.

-Clark

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by edhamgtr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So over the last few days I have been tweeking the mod trying many variations on the theme and I have settled on one that REALLY works for my ears.

Do please post about what you did, with pictures if possible. Sharing mods can help a lot of people get the most out of their cans, especially if a little tweaking can solve EQ problems that turn a can from good to great or great to greater still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blumenco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have many chances to go to Akihabara, Tokyo now. So which ATH models should I seek out to listen to? Or should I just dump some yen on the w5000s? With the general pricing of ATH stuff it seems, price aint no thing given my budget.

-Clark

G'day Clark,

There's a dedicated headphone hi-fi store in Akihabara. Look for the hi-fi store on the corner of one of the major intersections with a weird frame with speaker cones in it. Next to that is the head-fi dedicated store. They have quite a bit of decent gear you can listen to cans with. Bring your own CDs. They don't let you plug and play gear other than headphones though. Unfortunately their prices are entirely insane ($800 for K701's and other nonsense as Japan is want to have with head-fi prices).

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #34 of 43
OP, you've mentioned the headphones that you're interested in and those that you've owned before, but I don't see other components mentioned anywhere in your profile. If you're talking about R10s, K1000s, HP2s, etc, it's just plain nuts to consider them without taking a look at whole systems. And even with your current headphones, what are you using? What source and amp are you using with your HD600s, for example? Have you tried aftermarket Senn cables? You may find that you already own your "headphone holy grail," but your system isn't allowing them to show their stuff. I don't know what you're using, planning for, or want to spend. It will make a big difference.

Re headphones to consider, imo:

OOP:

K-1000 (really amp dependent)
R-10 (not flat, but you won't care in the right system)
HP-2 (again, think about the whole system)

IP:

SR-007 (have someone build you a killer estat amp, and these can be as good as they get...I'd seriously consider them, but with a non-stax amp)
HD-600 (since you like them already--they scale as high as your gear will let them)
UE-10 (iems, but they have what you said you were looking for)

But again, don't consider the headphones alone, especially not at the level you seem to want and are talking about; think about the whole rig, what each needs to sound as good as they can, and plan around that.

Good luck.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #35 of 43
[/QUOTE]Unfortunately their prices are entirely insane ($800 for K701's and other nonsense as Japan is want to have with head-fi prices).[/QUOTE]

Huh?!?!

By "price aint no thing," I meant under 1000 bucks. That is ridiculous! Ill go there to hear what my fav ATH or other cans would be, but I am still a deal hunter at heart. Are there any specific models I should seek out?

From their Japanese site, I can see the limited edition history from 1996: W10VTG, W10LTD, W11JPN, W100, W11R, W2002, W1000, L3000, W5000. Are there models other than these that I should seek out? Are there models here that I should not bother seeking out? ESW9?

Do you perhaps know the name of that store so I can GPS it please?

Thanks!

-Clark

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do please post about what you did, with pictures if possible. Sharing mods can help a lot of people get the most out of their cans, especially if a little tweaking can solve EQ problems that turn a can from good to great or great to greater still.

Most certainly will.

For those familiar with the F5005 mod - I removed half the blutak from where it would sit behind your ear - and used that bluetak to dampen the back of the cups.

This retained much of the improved accurate low end while opening up the highs and high mids.

I saw a post about removing the white soft dampening material to enhance highs and this worked quite well.

The result is an excellent headphone that has replaced my 600's

anyone who disbelieved the potential improvements of modding ...... all I can say is that I was once a doubter. No more. W5000's with a bit of tweeking just may be the perfect phone for me. (not that I'm going to stop searching !!!)

pics of mod will follow soon.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #37 of 43
The flattest FR of a headphone I've seen so far is Orpheus:

Senn_Orpheus.jpg

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #38 of 43
Are you looking for the flat sound measured, or perceived?

Be careful, there are two different things, not all what measures flat, is perceived flat by your ears. In order to get flat perceived sound, you need some kind of EQ, see below:

400px-Lindos4.svg.png

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #39 of 43
I'll put in my bit for the O2 as well. It isn't flat with Stax amps; they don't have the juice to drive it right and it tends to come off as an electrostatic HD650. But as you give them more and more power they flatten out and become quite possibly the most neutral, and just about the best, headphone I've ever heard. They don't lose their customary layer of lushness but that doesn't get in the way of their resolution. The trick is driving them right - a KGSS is a good place to start, but that's about it... just a good place to start. Building a DIY Blue Hawaii is probably your best bet.

HE90 is definitely not flat. It's flattish, but it has quite a few colorations in regards to tone. They are, however, some of the best colorations I've ever heard, and overall it is the single most musical headphone I've ever encountered.

The K1k to me always felt uniformly tipped up in the highs; it has a pretty level FR without any spikes but it's a bit on the bright side. It also has *nothing* below 35hz so for a lot of the electronic music I listen to, it's unsuitable. Still, it's one of the best dynamics I've ever heard, up there with the balanced HD650 (which is a very different animal from the SE HD650).

O2 is where I'd start, but K1k and balanced HD650 would be my second choices. And if you can find a used HE90 for anything resembling a reasonable price... good luck. Not the most neutral headphone around, but when you hear it once, you won't want to ever take it off your head. I know I didn't.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #40 of 43
the most neutral headphones i've had experience with was the grado hp2. they're vintage and hard to come by, but if someone is willing to part ways with a set, definately give them a try. you would need a close to neutral as possible front end (source&amp) as they take on the sound of your associated gear more than inject its own signature. my favorite part of them is the imaging, just incredible. for example you can hear bass notes reflecting off the walls in acoustic recordings. they don't try to fake a soundstage, it's all presented on stage sort to speak. i usually don't care about imaging and staging with headphones because most of them can't do it right or too artificial to me. another exception to my rule is the stax 007. they're the only fones that i consider to have a true representation of a 'soundstage'. meaning placement in 3d, especially height. they also have the most realistic bass that depicts texture as well as density. if you ever get a chance to hear it playback snare & kick drum simultaneously you'll see what i mean, just amazing. i care more about mids than anything else and i feel the grado's sound truer.

aside from that i'm surprised you didn't dig up interest on akg k50 1 instead of k701. in the right system they're up there in neutrality. not to my taste, but they're really good.

the r10 can sound beautiful with a powerful tube amp, but they're definately not neutral. i thought they were really pleasant to listen to though, but for euphonics the senn orpheus is the true 'king'.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd take a look at the AKG K-1000. It has long been one of my favorites and was designed for studio work. They're not that hard to drive; most power amps do a good job.

I'd say K-1000s too. They are my favorite headphone of any that exist. I prefer the HD600 over the HD650 and love etys etc. (Neutral)and it seems that your preference is in line with the K-1000 sounds.

Just make sure to amp it well otherwise it won't have the dynamics that really make is shine.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for the flat sound measured, or perceived?

measured is the goal.
Looking for a headphone as close to as flat as my studio monitors.

thanks to all for the replies.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll put in my bit for the O2 as well. It isn't flat with Stax amps; they don't have the juice to drive it right and it tends to come off as an electrostatic HD650. But as you give them more and more power they flatten out and become quite possibly the most neutral, and just about the best, headphone I've ever heard. They don't lose their customary layer of lushness but that doesn't get in the way of their resolution. The trick is driving them right - a KGSS is a good place to start, but that's about it... just a good place to start. Building a DIY Blue Hawaii is probably your best bet.

The 02 is definitely something I want to try.
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electostatics and there is definitely a learning curve as far as components go.

Forum searches underway. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back