Graham slee voyager for hd650
Feb 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

noxa

500+ Head-Fier
Hello
I am new to anything amp related so need advice from knowledgable people. At the moment I am running my ie8 direct from my iPhone and like the sound alot but I have recently been wanting some full size headphones for comfort as I find iem's painful for extended listening. I would like to get the hd650 as I know I really like the sennheiser sound. I am leaning toward the voyager as I have heard alot of good and I'm in the uk so it makes sense so basically

Will the voyager improve my ie8 from my iPhone

will the voyager run the hd650 and other high impedence to a high standard and high volume

any help is much apreciated
thank you

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 12
Its a pretty good amp for the 650, but of course a home amp is better. The Voyager isn't the best iem amp, but it does a decent job with dynamic 16Ω phones - just not phenomenal. As for volume, you'd be surprised how the HD650 can get loud from any source - that isn't the problem. The problem is how good it can sound. It really firms up with better control and for that, more voltage.

I think the Voyager is probably one of the best portable amps for the HD650 and considering its price (which is less than a few others), it is an excellent buy.

Just for reference: Graham Slee Voyager in Review

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 12
When the Voyager first went into production Graham had a high gain version which would not be good for iem's or low impedance cans but for the likes of the HD650 it would be better. However due to your multi use needs the low version will give you the most satisfaction. Have you considered a home amp?

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 12
Thank you both for your replies. I have been going between a home and a portable amp for awhile, but keep coming back to the voyager, as I think I am willing to sacrifice a bit of sq for the versatility the voyager will bring me, even more now I know they will run the hd650 with some authority.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 12
You don't have to sacrifice SQ with the Voyager - it is excellent. But it is best for full size headphones and isn't too wet sounding that a Sennheiser will feel blocked. I love it for a variety of full size and it is very good with the Senns, though I find its sweet spot is the loudness curved Ultrasone DJ1Pro.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for that shigzeo that helps alot. As I said I am completely new to headphone amps, and was under the impression portable amps were geared towards iem's, and full size headphones were far better with desktop amps. I am more or less sold on the voyager, now I better go order one.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 12
For a portable, it is among the best for large headphones. I would of course, choose a desktop amp over any portable amp (even my FiQuest) for stationary use with any proper headphone, but the usefulness of a portable amp is simply amazing especially if it takes you much of the way to a full size amp.

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 12
For portables, to me voyager on contour produces bass with a punch, its bass has the most punch compared to other portables in that price.
I really love that mega kick in bass it produces!
the same amp on flat has a sound that slightly reminds me of the transparency of the RSA black bird
i find that its really a fun amp to have
biggrin.gif

however, i chose the TTVJ Slim over it due to other reasons
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 12
For portables, to me voyager on contour produces bass with a punch, its bass has the most punch compared to other portables in that price.
I really love that mega kick in bass it produces!
the same amp on flat has a sound that slightly reminds me of the transparency of the RSA black bird
i find that its really a fun amp to have
biggrin.gif

however, i chose the TTVJ Slim over it due to other reasons
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a pretty good amp for the 650, but of course a home amp is better. The Voyager isn't the best iem amp, but it does a decent job with dynamic 16Ω phones - just not phenomenal. As for volume, you'd be surprised how the HD650 can get loud from any source - that isn't the problem. The problem is how good it can sound. It really firms up with better control and for that, more voltage.

I think the Voyager is probably one of the best portable amps for the HD650 and considering its price (which is less than a few others), it is an excellent buy.

Just for reference: Graham Slee Voyager in Review

Great advise Shigzeo. I too have the GSV, and am considering the 650's. Currently using my SR325is with the Voy, and I love that.

Out of curiosity, what portable amp would be better for these regardless of the cost, and before I purchase a desktop - a pico (not slim)?

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 12
I have both the IE8s and HD650s as well. To try and resolve the comfort issue with your IE8s, I would recommend you give the Comply 400 series foam tips a try as they are much softer than any of the standard ones.

I run my IE8s out of an iPod Touch, and frankly haven't found much difference amping them with either my Total BitHead or main rig's amp. - albeit I haven't done much in the way of A/B comparisons, as I didn't immediately hear much, if any, difference. It seems to me that spending money to scale a system for the HD650s has a much better cost/benefit potential, and in my case, I have also recently tried recabling my HD650s with a SAA Equinox - which is currently being burned-in.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great advise Shigzeo. I too have the GSV, and am considering the 650's. Currently using my SR325is with the Voy, and I love that.

Out of curiosity, what portable amp would be better for these regardless of the cost, and before I purchase a desktop - a pico (not slim)?

I don't listen enough to Grado's to really give the best advice; they just aren't my cup of tea. I see enough people wearing them here though to ask what they use... I'll get back to you on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back