Graham Slee Solo update?
Dec 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
The Diamond Ultra Linear must be a massive upgrade over the SRG II then because when I had the SRG II + PSU1 it was outclassed by the Audio-gd Roc and the stock Woo 6se.

Does anyone have a view on how massive an upgrade it is? I ordered an Ultra Linear Diamond Edition (ULDE), but the supplier sent me an SRGII. They admit it was their mistake and offered to swap the SRGII for the ULDE, or refund me for the difference if I want to keep the SRGII. I'm trialling the SRGII for the next few days as the holiday post means neither the supplier nor I can do much about the situation.

I'll be using the amp with a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus and Grado PS1000. I wonder if I should keep the SRGII and put the refund towards the new 2013 Ultra Linear when it comes out; however, that could be a long way away, so I was wondering how much I'm losing out by having the SRGII in the meantime?

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 31
Update: Made the decision to return the SRG!!

That amp sounds great. However, having consulted with Graham Slee the manufacturer, I'd be missing out as the Ultra Linear was specifically designed for Grado PS1000s. I'm told using it will give more detailed sound overall with better soundstaging, and richer bass. Despite the additional detail, it should also be more enjoyable to listen to as its presentation is more 'musical', more relaxed.

With all that on offer, how could I refuse?!

I'll post another update on my impressions after I get the amp and it has had some time to burn in. ...Given the info above from the manufacturer, my expectations are seriously high!

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:
Update: Made the decision to return the SRG!!

That amp sounds great. However, having consulted with Graham Slee the manufacturer, I'd be missing out as the Ultra Linear was specifically designed for Grado PS1000s. I'm told using it will give more detailed sound overall with better soundstaging, and richer bass. Despite the additional detail, it should also be more enjoyable to listen to as its presentation is more 'musical', more relaxed.

Graham really said that?! then I have to get myself a Ultra Linear to drive my new PS1000.
I had a Ultra Linear but sold it, among many amps I've used, It's the only SS amp that can drive LCD-2 nearly as good as Leben CS300.    

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Graham really said that?! then I have to get myself a Ultra Linear to drive my new PS1000.
I had a Ultra Linear but sold it, among many amps I've used, It's the only SS amp that can drive LCD-2 nearly as good as Leben CS300.    

Hi mmlogic, I asked the question via email with Graham Slee. Graham himself sent me a brief email reply in which he said "[size=x-small]The Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition was designed specifically to drive Grados better. ...[size=x-small]bit busy to talk on phone right now but my colleague John is here ... and could answer your call[/size][/size]" I phoned John who reiterated what Graham said and gave me the additional information I posted about soundstaging etc.

I double checked the notes I took during that conversation and it appears I may be guilty of conflating two pieces of information: I specifically asked about the Grado PS1000; John replied for that specific headphone, the ULDE was the better amp as its design, in a general sense, was specifically to drive Grado cans. So, the good news is that the ULDE has broader suitability for Grado cans; the bad news (if it is actually bad) is that it wasn't designed with ONLY the Grado PS1000 in mind.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
The Diamond Ultra Linear must be a massive upgrade over the SRG II then because when I had the SRG II + PSU1 it was outclassed by the Audio-gd Roc and the stock Woo 6se.

It is a massive upgrade.  I owned a Solo around 2007 and then got a Solo Ultranlinear when it first came out.  They were both good amps but the Ultralinear was too noisy with Denons and Grados.  About a month ago I got a Solo Ultralinear Diamond and was amazed at how much better it is than the previous generations.  It is truly magical with my LCD-2' s with no shortage of power as there was before.  Part of the diamond update was a beefier output stage and no background noise.  I think the reference to being designed "For PS 1000's" refers to the fact that it is now quiet enough to use with Grados.  It really does seem to have a tube like treble smoothness but with tight, deep bass and high resolution.  I have never been more pleased with an amp purchase before and I have bought a lot of them over the years.

I really believe that if this same amp was in a larger, more "high end" looking box it would be considered up with the best.  It just doesn't look like it should sound as good as it does.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
It is a massive upgrade.  I owned a Solo around 2007 and then got a Solo Ultranlinear when it first came out.  They were both good amps but the Ultralinear was too noisy with Denons and Grados.  About a month ago I got a Solo Ultralinear Diamond and was amazed at how much better it is than the previous generations.  It is truly magical with my LCD-2' s with no shortage of power as there was before.  Part of the diamond update was a beefier output stage and no background noise.  I think the reference to being designed "For PS 1000's" refers to the fact that it is now quiet enough to use with Grados.  It really does seem to have a tube like treble smoothness but with tight, deep bass and high resolution.  I have never been more pleased with an amp purchase before and I have bought a lot of them over the years.

Thanks for the info. My Ultra Linear is still being burned in, but so far I like what I hear. As of today, it doesn't sound hugely better than the SRGII, but we'll see as these things apparently take weeks to properly burn in.

Quote:

I really believe that if this same amp was in a larger, more "high end" looking box it would be considered up with the best.  It just doesn't look like it should sound as good as it does.

Totally agree, the looks are somewhat utilitarian
tongue_smile.gif
. I'm glad Graham and company have foregone the need to be flashy and spend heavily on marketing, instead offering outstanding bang for the buck!

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #25 of 31
I like the way it looks too and their products are very well built. They just don't look impressive in audiophile terms. Put a Solo next to a Woo and which do you think most people would automatically assume is better?

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #28 of 31
I think SRG II to Ultra Linear Diamond is a pretty significant upgrade. I'm using it with the PS500 and the difference was noticeable straight out of the box. The soundstage seems to have improved dramatically and there's no sibilance whatsoever. It's just the smoothest combination I've ever heard. I read somewhere that the older Solo models were designed with Sennheisers in mind with the Ultra Linear catering for lower impedance headphones. I think it's a smashing little amp despite its drab appearance. In response to an earlier comment on this thread, is there any solid state that can compete aesthetically with the Woo tube amps? I cartainly can't think of anything.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #29 of 31
They are very good amps. I wish I get a chance on using a k702 on it which i stupidly turn into a balance jack. 

Regarding the looks. I think the Audio Technica Ha5000, Ha5000anv and ha2002 are pretty sweet looking. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #30 of 31
Hi guys...i have graham slee srgii and i use centrance dac port lx to pair with. So far iam loving it and no problem driving my hd650, ps500 and also my t5p. Now i am planning to get lcd2 rev2. Do you think srgii+dac portLx can drive lcd2 well enough? I really need to know before pull the trigger. I went through many forums but seems no one is using this combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back