Graham Slee Solo initial impressions
Feb 5, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #46 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes ... Graham spent many hours tweaking it to get the sound of the Solo/PSU1. All of the mods were hardwired underneath the pcb.

That's correct Charley - what's more, there are some other discrete parts of the mods ON the front PCB. `
Never mind - Solo rules

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg TT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's correct Charley - what's more, there are some other discrete parts of the mods ON the front PCB. `
Never mind - Solo rules

My bad, I shouldn't of used all and just left it at that it was modified.

A little off topic but still related. It was good to read oicdin(?) portable amp review and to hear how well the Voyager did. Kinda speaks volumes about the Solo I think. Hopefully it and the SOlo will get Graham SLee Products the recognition they deserve.

edit, missed my point.... I wish someone would do the same for home amps and include the Solo. Ive looked all over for a home amp review and cant seem to find it since the crash. I thought there was one before.

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #48 of 81
sleesoloinside.jpg

Is this the newest one ?

an even newer looking one here !

Graham Slee Solo 2004 review

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by davewhit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sleesoloinside.jpg

Is this the newest one ?

No my friend! It is the Solo MkII or MkIII (before 2004 model)

OK, the Solo Mk III is silver plated, as the newer ones.
No worries, you still have the music!

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #50 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFi FOR METAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to hear what you guys think this thing sounds like with k601's or k701's.

Hi there,

I just received my Solo 08 and it still doesn't have many hours on it. But I really like the sound of the K701 with it (I have ALO-recabled version). Authoritative with good, tight bass and extended but non-splashy treble. The HD650/SAA sounds really good as well, probably a more 'organic', natural sound ith stronger bass but I prefer the AKG, mainly for its mids.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #51 of 81
Well, MarkyMark - my AKG K701 have 500 hours of burn in. The K701 are now fully matured for me. Maybe they are not in absolute therms, but for me those cans are real magic!!! Your new Solo, when matured after 500 hrs will beat all the other amps!

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #52 of 81
I have a question for the Solo users/owners. Have you tried it with low impedance closed cans like Denon D5000, JVC DX1000 or ATH-W5000?
I wonder if the bass keeps tight and well textured or whether it gets a bit boomy.

Regards

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #53 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question for the Solo users/owners. Have you tried it with low impedance closed cans like Denon D5000, JVC DX1000 or ATH-W5000?
I wonder if the bass keeps tight and well textured or whether it gets a bit boomy.

Regards

The Solo and ATH-W1000 synergize extremely well. I'm trying to find the post.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #54 of 81
By the way, my Solo is going through some changes as expected. Before when I mentioned about the notes hanging in the air when I paused Foobar, it hasn't done that for roughly a day now and the music doesn;t sound as "real" as it did when it was doing that.

I forget who mentioned it was the way I had my setttings, but at that time I tried making changes to my settings and was unable find anything that effected that.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #55 of 81
I hope it's ok to take someone elses statement and quote it.

For what it's worth, here's a quote about the ATH-W5000...

"But, I just fired up a flamenco cd of Ojos de Brujos tonight, through my now fav Audio Technica W-5000 headphones, and there's another eye (ear) opening session going on here! I've not turned off the Solo Green, had a signal passing through it all this time with a streaming on line radio station, through a soundcard. I wish you all could hear the AT's through this amp. I've got a pair of the AKG 701's also, but there's no comparison in every conceivalble area of reproduction. The AT's are, to me, akin to Stax with bass. Incredibly fast, detailed and musical. The Solo Green is improving, still. An amazing statement, but I can't deny what I'm hearing. I'm just floored, here. So much hitting power, more depth, no harshness at all. This set up is completely flat, no tone controls, no dsp, no nuttin. I'm learning to keep a signal going thru this amp. It has just continued to get better and better."

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #57 of 81
I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread, but since it's got a lot of follow-up by Solo owners... Have any of you listened to the Solo with the JVC-DX1000? I'm still breaking in these cans and I'm enjoying them a lot, but can't help thinking that other amp could be a better match than my Headmaster.

Thanks and regards.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #58 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

I just received my Solo 08 and it still doesn't have many hours on it. But I really like the sound of the K701 with it (I have ALO-recabled version). Authoritative with good, tight bass and extended but non-splashy treble. The HD650/SAA sounds really good as well, probably a more 'organic', natural sound ith stronger bass but I prefer the AKG, mainly for its mids.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice rig by the way, it is great to see someone with really great, esoteric british compentents like: Townshend, Sugden, and Graham Slee in this forum. Many people here have never even heard of, let alone heard these wonderful brands.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #59 of 81
Quote:

I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread, but since it's got a lot of follow-up by Solo owners... Have any of you listened to the Solo with the JVC-DX1000? I'm still breaking in these cans and I'm enjoying them a lot, but can't help thinking that other amp could be a better match than my Headmaster.

Thanks and regards.

No problem, I thought I saw someone mention those somewhere. Will try and find it. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

Regards

i have a 2007 green solo driving my d5000. it sounds good to my ears. the bass isn't that bloated and the mids and highs are clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back