Graham Slee Solo initial impressions
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #76 of 81
I guess I should start a new thread... or... this inquiry may not be answered...

Not enough interest in the "old Solo."

(UPDATE - Done - moved to a new thread)...

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #77 of 81
If Niggle could respond to this question, or anyone else I would appreciate it. He says that "with a good tube amp it would have a kind of irresistable charming and musicality which no ss amp could achieve". Can anyone recommend such a tube amp that has the high qualities of the Slee Solo and is priced similarly, if that is even possible-probably isn't. How much do I need to spend on such an amp?

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #78 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by william campbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Niggle could respond to this question, or anyone else I would appreciate it. He says that "with a good tube amp it would have a kind of irresistable charming and musicality which no ss amp could achieve". Can anyone recommend such a tube amp that has the high qualities of the Slee Solo and is priced similarly, if that is even possible-probably isn't. How much do I need to spend on such an amp?

For HD600/650 that could be the Earmax Pro for instance.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #79 of 81
Quote:

I have tried an EF-1 and often I don´t understand what is going on and it´s a hybrid... I imagine I would absolutely hate real tube amps if it would get even more wavy and mystery stuff going on
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #80 of 81
Quote:

Yes... the DV332 (or I suppose the DV3322), or DV337, provide great sound with moderate to high impedance phones, like Senns. All these are priced below the Solo 2007, and about the same price as the Solo SRG. Though the Solo SRG, may be better with low impedance phones.

And... yes... I preferred them to the Solo 2007.

Check with "Godkin" - I suspect he's compared the DV amps to the Solo.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #81 of 81
just got my Slee Solo with PSU 1.

This is a used unit so I would expect it to be fully burned in. However since I just got it it was quite cold and it just never gets warm. Feels strange compared to the Canamp get really warm and it has a much larger case with more air inside. Should be up to speed anyway I hope. Testing it with the PRO 900 currently.

Impressions noise floor is great. It´s totally silent with my low impedance cans. It´s also super clear you really feel that you hear everything. Super clean sound maybe a bit clinical. Not sure how well it will work with classical. Playing Michael Jacksons invincible there is so much energy I am getting nausea really weird but great feeling. A bit lighter on bass compared to what I am used to but still not bass shy great beat. Have a weird feeling that the music is playing at 2x speed.

Listening to calmer music like Diana Krall it´s obvious here too... Feels like it plays way faster then on any of my other amps including my Pimeta. If you want to relax pick another amp for this headphone anyway. I will have to experiment with my pulse clock it´s so intense it´s scary. Really had to switch of my LFE. If you have ever risen to fast from a chair and fainted it´s how I am feeling right now sensory overload I guess
smily_headphones1.gif
. All these traits seem to indicate it´s a great match for the HD 650 will have to try that if I can get my PRO 900 of my head...

Surely an unique experince I have to say...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back