Graham Slee Solo initial impressions
Feb 4, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #31 of 81
Thanks for the photos, it is great to see how well built the PSU1, and Solo look up close and inside, Also it looks like he is using copper trace on his PCB, is that right? If so that is just another reason to like the product.

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #32 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFi FOR METAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, actually I do go out to St. Louis, I was really curious, I am considering perhaps ordering one and wanting to know how well the two have synergy together. So it is good to know that they do.

I'll PM you.

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #33 of 81
I just turned it off for the first time to open it up. My traces are on the underneath side of the board. The quality of the workmanship is as evident inside and out as well as in the sound. As you can see from the pictures. I think it would be safe to say that nothing was risked to degrade the sound.

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #34 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by davewhit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inside one
pcb.jpg

Upgraded power supply
psuunderbonnet.jpg

Thanks for posting those pic's, Dave. It would take me a week of Sunday's to figure out how to do that.

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #36 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting those pic's, Dave. It would take me a week of Sunday's to figure out how to do that.

My pleasure like the insides of this one better
Black_Cube_Linear_open_600.jpg

Black_Cube_Linear_rear_connectors_600.jpg

Black Cube

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #37 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by davewhit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inside one
pcb.jpg

Upgraded power supply
psuunderbonnet.jpg

What is the going price for a solo ? I see the suggested retail is $924 US ? Is it available for a discount off retail ?

For someone with a technical bent, what opamp is used in the gain stage ?
It looks like an active ground configuration with no buffer opamp ? Is that a discreet buffer stage up at the top ? Does it use BJTs or FETs ?

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #38 of 81
AD823 and BJTs. Do search some reviews, it's all been said there. It's a unique schematic (not revealed, obviously) as Graham said, that is more current than voltage amplification based which makes it plays similarily loud on different headphone impedances. These are verbal shortcomings of course but just to enlighten the idea.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #40 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man, can you recall/explain as much as you can about what,or how it changed your 650's? I'm curious for future reference.

For my experienced, I used hd650 to pair with many amps e.g. Heed, X-Can V3 and PR-II. The sound was difference and seemed good in various characters. However, it just sounded right with Solo in the sense of speed, tonal balance, smooth egde, airy with impactful.

Note: my favorite kinds of music are pop/rock, indie, jazz and R & B. With Grace M902 the sound from hd650 will be more opened with wider soundstage.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the going price for a solo ? I see the suggested retail is $924 US ? Is it available for a discount off retail ?

For someone with a technical bent, what opamp is used in the gain stage ?
It looks like an active ground configuration with no buffer opamp ? Is that a discreet buffer stage up at the top ? Does it use BJTs or FETs ?

I would contact Graham or John C using the link I provided on the first page.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #43 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy8269 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my experienced, I used hd650 to pair with many amps e.g. Heed, X-Can V3 and PR-II. The sound was difference and seemed good in various characters. However, it just sounded right with Solo in the sense of speed, tonal balance, smooth egde, airy with impactful.

Note: my favorite kinds of music are pop/rock, indie, jazz and R & B. With Grace M902 the sound from hd650 will be more opened with wider soundstage.

Thanks for that. Was curious for my next upgrade.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg TT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's 2008, isn't it?
evil_smiley.gif

The Solo above is MkII. The Green one looks like 2007 model
biggrin.gif

Yes, the green Solo is a modified '07 to be used with the switch mode power supply. Graham spent many hours tweaking it to get the sound of the Solo/PSU1. All of the mods were hardwired underneath the pcb.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #45 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg TT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's 2008, isn't it?
evil_smiley.gif

The Solo above is MkII. The Green one looks like 2007 model
biggrin.gif

Yeah, thought I was loosing what little mind I have left
biggrin.gif
. I could of swore I saw a newer one that looked close to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back