Graham Slee Solo initial impressions
Feb 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 81
Just wanted to chime in. I've had a Solo for about 5 months now. When I first purchased it, I put it up against a HR Max Desktop and a Corda Cantate and it won hands down. I still have a GS-1 on order from September, before I purchased the Solo. So we'll see how the two compare.

Since the original purchase, I've changed my DAC (Moodlab Dice -> HR Ultra Micro) and the sound has gotten even better. I can't tell you how much this amp makes me appreciate my HD650s. The combination is so good that I've sold off my 580s and 595s. Hope you continue to enjoy your Solos.

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #17 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, thank you for the kind words, but I gotta tell ya, I never had to put my hand on the wall to get the added vibes
tongue.gif

If your talking about the Avatar photo. If you look closely. "George" has a 2 prong electrical plug on the end of the Head Phones. And is plugging them in for a little AC/DC. Talk about straight wire with gain. He's into a real Mind Melt.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #18 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to chime in. I've had a Solo for about 5 months now. When I first purchased it, I put it up against a HR Max Desktop and a Corda Cantate and it won hands down. I still have a GS-1 on order from September, before I purchased the Solo. So we'll see how the two compare.

Since the original purchase, I've changed my DAC (Moodlab Dice -> HR Ultra Micro) and the sound has gotten even better. I can't tell you how much this amp makes me appreciate my HD650s. The combination is so good that I've sold off my 580s and 595s. Hope you continue to enjoy your Solos.

Glad you did, and that your enjoying it. That is all of the options I was considering to and I can't wait to hear how the Solo vs GS-1 turns out.

Before I received my Solo I was thinking of the Zero DAC for the short term until I could step up and the Ultra was one of those I saw in the future. Now I think I may just wait on the Zero, time will tell. I'm going to be enjoying this Solo for a very long time. Only thing I see getting other then this would be going balanced, but thats long time if at all, eveb then I don't see me getting rid of this little beast.

Enjoy

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #19 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your talking about the Avatar photo. If you look closely. "George" has a 2 prong electrical plug on the end of the Head Phones. And is plugging them in for a little AC/DC. Talk about straight wire with gain. He's into a real Mind Melt.

LOL, yeah, my eyes were bad last night and I couldn't fully make it out.

I was speaking purely in jest, and it wasn't meant to criticize your advice, just in case you thought it was.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #20 of 81
Just about 24 hours in and still sounding great. One thing I have noticed a little bit ago that I don't recall noticing before is... when I pause or stop Foobar the music doesn't immediately stop. Just as if you would strum a string or stick a drum head, I guess this is what they mean by decay?

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #21 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations.
I find the Graham Slee Solo to be one of the very best (bar none) solid state amps around.
Enjoy it!

Thank you, sure would be hard to argue with that from how this sounds.

Enjoy

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #22 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just about 24 hours in and still sounding great. One thing I have noticed a little bit ago that I don't recall noticing before is... when I pause or stop Foobar the music doesn't immediately stop. Just as if you would strum a string or stick a drum head, I guess this is what they mean by decay?

That is because you have the latency set for a that period in your setup. High latency is not a problem for playback only recording. This has nothing to do with decay I think. If you had my Xin Reference and turned it off before stopping the music player and waited the Xin Reference would play about 45 seconds before stopping. This is because of the large capacitor holding the charge which is also a different thing from either decay or latency.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy8269 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats!

I missed my Green Solo (sold) too. This amp made my hd650 showed how far they could go before I decided to sell.

Cheers

Thanks man, can you recall/explain as much as you can about what,or how it changed your 650's? I'm curious for future reference.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #28 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFi FOR METAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to hear what you guys think this thing sounds like with k601's or k701's.

I;m in St.louis, you ever get out this way? I don't have, nor have heard any AKG, but to paraphrase someone elses comment I read elsewhere regarding the Solo and AKG 701, he said he discovered the bass, and that it tamed the sibilance.

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #29 of 81
yeah, actually I do go out to St. Louis, I was really curious, I am considering perhaps ordering one and wanting to know how well the two have synergy together. So it is good to know that they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back