Graduation gift-headphones? AMP?...
Jun 27, 2008 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Mzisman4

New Head-Fier
I just graduated and my parents plan to buy me a 'nice' set of headphones. They were planning to get me a set of Bose QC2 but after I read reviews on them, my parents told me I could choose something at an equal price. I started by looking at headphones around $300 (Grado SR325i and Sennheiser HD595) but was set back when most of the reviews said they required an amplifier for quality sound. I tried to search those but only got more confused because certain kinds of amps are designed for certain kinds of headphones.

What I am looking for is something (be it headphones or a combo of some sort) that will work well with an ipod and laptop, is good for all kinds of music (hip-hop to oldies), sits around the ear, and is under $325.

I know there is no definative answer to what is "best" for that price but I'm looking for any suggestions on what/how I should make my choice

Thanks

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 39
For that price you should definately get a good set of headphones + amp. A set of $300+ cans would need a good amp just to sound good, and those aren't cheap.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 39
Grado line. Maybe some 80s. Put the rest on a portable amp. An amp means you will have to get a cable/LOD for your birthday. IT NEVER ENDS!

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 39
$300 for graduation? Gwah?

Anyway, if you're in the US, you can get the HD-595 for under $200 from Amazon, and spend the rest on an amp. Otherwise, why not spend some of your own money on an amp?

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$300 for graduation? Gwah?

Anyway, if you're in the US, you can get the HD-595 for under $200 from Amazon, and spend the rest on an amp. Otherwise, why not spend some of your own money on an amp?

Well J&R has the HD595 for $180, and there's a mail-in-rebate for $30 off with a trade-in of any condition headphone (earphone as well??). For a total of $150 - cost of crappy headphones you have laying around.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzisman4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any reccommendatons on an amp?...and what the heck is a LOD?

A line-out dock for your iPod.

Fifty cents of molded plastic plus fifty cents of regular cable plus fifty cents of plug equal to thirty dollars of dock adapter cable, somehow.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 39
The Denon D2000 would fit in as a good all arounder...but that too needs an amp to shine (what doesn't?!)

If you're not planning to get an amp, I suggest getting a nice pair of iem. The custom livewires iem which get rave reviews only cost around $250 + impression.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzisman4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh and is an LOD necessary or just something to squeeze out performance

In your case, and in my honest opinion, I would say a LOD is needed. Amping just the headphone out is a waste of money.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 39
By the way, PM Head-Fi member stevenkelby for an LOD. Better prices than ALO, and more flexible with customization. In fact, he can make a mini-USB in the dock as well, so you can charge the iPod while listening to it.

If you look on the portable audio forum, check out the rig thread to see how a LOD works. Esentially, you plug in the dock part into the iPod, and the mini (1/8) part into the input of the amp.

As for amp recommendation, I'm not sure. The only low-cost amp I ever dabbled with was the PA2V2, but it may prove to be too bassy with that Sennheiser model.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 39
LOD goes between your ipod and your amp

IMG_1296.jpg

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOD goes between your ipod and your amp

IMG_1296.jpg

You could go with the IBasso D2 boa, portable amp/dac for $175.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back