grado's with the sr-71 and a portable source
Feb 22, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 17
I'm expecting to receive the SR-71, SR225 and iPod 4G 40GB this week. I'm moving up from a iRiver iFP-395T flash player, cmoy and SR60 setup.

One question though... why do you describe the iPod as a low quality source? From what I've read in the forums, the iPod is a very good source as long as you've encoded the audio files at a high bitrate or use lossless encoding.

I recently used Chris Myden's guide (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...deneaclame.cfm) to rip and encode my CDs as uber-quality MP3s. It's not lossless but from what I've read, it comes darn close. Once I get my gear, I will try a blind test with a lossless encoded file to see if I can hear any differences.

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 17
If you use the line-out, you should be set.

Look into a sik din or pocketdock.

The ipod is not an exceptional source, but it is more than capable of providing most of your needs with a good amp/set of headphones.

Feb 22, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
If you use the line-out, you should be set.

Look into a sik din or pocketdock.

The ipod is not an exceptional source, but it is more than capable of providing most of your needs with a good amp/set of headphones.

Line out, right.. already done that (ordered pocketdock)... just waiting for all the stuff to arrive.

I know this is off topic so you can PM me if ya want.. when you state that the iPod is not an "exceptional source," are you comparing the iPod to other sources in general or with respect to other portable DAPs? If you're talking about portable players, I'd like to know what you consider to be "exceptional." I've seen many people tout the Karma and I almost went for it.

I apologize for the thread hijack.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 17
no its a good hijack... haha. well i'm comparing the fact that my ipod does not hold up compared to something like a $1K CD player. I don't have a $1K CD player but you get the idea. Don't get me wrong, the ipod is great, but if i wanted to put all WAV files on my 40GB, I wouldn't have all the music I wanted at my finger tips.

my main thing is if it's worth spending $400 on an amp to be used with an ipod, and will it make a $400 difference. Or do I just save that $400 and save up for a a $2K guitar?

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalStyle
no its a good hijack... haha. well i'm comparing the fact that my ipod does not hold up compared to something like a $1K CD player. I don't have a $1K CD player but you get the idea. Don't get me wrong, the ipod is great, but if i wanted to put all WAV files on my 40GB, I wouldn't have all the music I wanted at my finger tips.

my main thing is if it's worth spending $400 on an amp to be used with an ipod, and will it make a $400 difference. Or do I just save that $400 and save up for a a $2K guitar?

By the way, you don't need WAV files, just Apple Lossless and save about 60% space.

I tried my RS-1 one with my ipod and the SR-71. It's sounds great. I normally use it with my PPA w/diamond buffer and emu-1212 soundcard. It does sound better with that setup but it's not a huge difference.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 17
what file type extension is the apple lossless file? I mainly keep my files mp3 or wav because it allows me to share my music with ALL my friends that are mac or pc.

ipods should be illegal....

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 17
I use Grado 225's with an SR-71 out of a portable (h140) and it is a great combo. I feel the 71 actually improves (at least mitigates) some of the Iriver's weaknesses. The amp helps warm and open up the sound nicely.

However, you will probably not see a $400 dollar improvement in your (portable) system. A lessor capable amp such as a Go-Vibe offers good bang for the buck performance.

Using an SR-71 is just a little extra frosting for a lot more money.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalStyle
what file type extension is the apple lossless file? I mainly keep my files mp3 or wav because it allows me to share my music with ALL my friends that are mac or pc.

ipods should be illegal....

You can always convert back to WAV with no loss of data or your friends just need to download itunes to play the files.

Feb 23, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 17
i know the sr-71 is meant to be used portably, and that its also a lot of money, but have you heard the way that thing handles a meridian? geez, put that thing next to a meridian g08 and the sr-71 will totally ride with it, not slowing it down one bit - i like ipod with sr-71, use to have that combo, realized im not a portable guy and more of a home rig person, so i got an hr-2 (im slightly addicted to the ray samuels sound obviously!!!)

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
i know the sr-71 is meant to be used portably, and that its also a lot of money, but have you heard the way that thing handles a meridian? geez, put that thing next to a meridian g08 and the sr-71 will totally ride with it, not slowing it down one bit - i like ipod with sr-71, use to have that combo, realized im not a portable guy and more of a home rig person, so i got an hr-2 (im slightly addicted to the ray samuels sound obviously!!!)

Good, 'cause I may end up having a Meridian 588/G08 -> sr-71 -> hp-2 home setup in the near future, at least temporarily :p
I can always upgrade the amp a bit later. Headphones first, then source! Even in my current rig (same as above but with a Jolida), the sr-71 is acting like a home amp, and a very very good one at that. A world of difference over the Jolida's headphone jack (ugh, yuck), much better than I remember the Headroom Little or Perreaux SXH-1, and about the same level as what I remember from the Gilmore V2. I still can't get over that this is really a portable amp; my last experience with another portable amp was completely different.

With the ipod my sr-71 and sr-225 w/ vwap or flat pads makes a nice portable setup. I haven't done too much comparison, but the sr-71 did seem to improve sound quality overall - even my non-audiophile boss could tell the difference. The ipod isn't too awful a source to not benefit from the sr-71. Neither the ipod nor the sr-225 can really do this little amp justice, though
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 17
Meridian - sr-71 - hp-2? omg, i hate you, that is like my dream setup, dude, the sr-71 is like totally transparent and neutral, then you have the hp-2 which are the most neutral and transparent sounding heaphones i have ever heard, you'd be listening to pure unadulterated meridian magic!!! I hate you j/k, dude if you get that setup, you gotta let me come over and listen to that thing!

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Meridian - sr-71 - hp-2? omg, i hate you, that is like my dream setup, dude, the sr-71 is like totally transparent and neutral, then you have the hp-2 which are the most neutral and transparent sounding heaphones i have ever heard, you'd be listening to pure unadulterated meridian magic!!! I hate you j/k, dude if you get that setup, you gotta let me come over and listen to that thing!

Nope your dream setup is the meridian-hr2-ps-1. Or Rs-1.

I have just bought a Ray Samuels amp. I am really excited as there is no-one I know who owns one and lives in the UK so it is hard to hear what they sound like. So I got a great deal of the F/S forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back