Grado's Upgraded?
Mar 13, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #16 of 22
I recently did an a/b between the 2008 buttonless RS-1 model and the new RS-1i. I was able to use a Headamp Pico amp/DAC out of my Macbook using lossless files.

With bowl pads, the older model had more snappy bass, and not as bright highs as the RS-1i. The RS-1i had a slightly fuller soundstage as well.

With flats, they pretty much sounded the same. The only difference I could notice was that the older RS-1 still maintained the snappier, punchy bass.

They had both been burned-in pretty well prior to the comparison.

They both have their strengths, the older model was slightly clearer with more complex music (like metal), but the new model, because of the brighter highs, sounded a tad more intimate.

All in all though, I really had to focus on certain parts of a song to find the differences, so if some are stressing about these "improvements", I kinda feel that it's just a marketing technique during this recession.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTissues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
photo2p.jpg

wow, you have a grado headphone cup for a head?
dt880smile.png

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...What? The pads are all Comfies up to the SR225i model, but the exterior is now more like the GS1000 "mushroom" shape.

Wow I'm dumb!
ph34r.gif

This is what happens when you spend too much time on headroom. They've updated their listing for the SR60i/SR80i but still have the old photos up. I accepted my failure... shamefully.
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently did an a/b between the 2008 buttonless RS-1 model and the new RS-1i. I was able to use a Headamp Pico amp/DAC out of my Macbook using lossless files.

With bowl pads, the older model had more snappy bass, and not as bright highs as the RS-1i. The RS-1i had a slightly fuller soundstage as well.

With flats, they pretty much sounded the same. The only difference I could notice was that the older RS-1 still maintained the snappier, punchy bass.

They had both been burned-in pretty well prior to the comparison.

They both have their strengths, the older model was slightly clearer with more complex music (like metal), but the new model, because of the brighter highs, sounded a tad more intimate.

All in all though, I really had to focus on certain parts of a song to find the differences, so if some are stressing about these "improvements", I kinda feel that it's just a marketing technique during this recession.

Thanks for the nice write up!

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the nice write up!

x2. Finally something on buttonless RS1 vs RS1i. I had buttonless RS1 from 2008 before and also found it to have a nice punchy bass and smooth hights.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #21 of 22
For sure guys... though I feel the Pico wasn't a fair enough amp for them.

I'll post some more detailed impressions after I get my maxed Woo WA6 with Sophia Princess rectifier and RCA 6DE7s and using a Stello DA100 as my source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back