grados sr-325 (new model) vs sr-225 vs something else?
Jan 22, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #211 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
I would like to buy a new ms-2 but alessandro haven't responded to my email after three days. I'm becoming impatient, could someone confirm that they are selling the new version now?

Heck, I ordered my headphones from them a month ago and I still haven't gotten anything. They also did not respond to my emails asking about return policies (emailed 3+ weeks ago) and about a week ago I emailed again asking if they even got my order. No response.

If I were you, I would stay far away from Alessandro. They seem to be nothing but problems.

Jan 22, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #212 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by perfektrtw
Heck, I ordered my headphones from them a month ago and I still haven't gotten anything. They also did not respond to my emails asking about return policies (emailed 3+ weeks ago) and about a week ago I emailed again asking if they even got my order. No response.

If I were you, I would stay far away from Alessandro. They seem to be nothing but problems.

Hmm it's just that I'd probably prefer the less bright ms-2 to the sr-325. How does the new 325 compare to the rs-1 in terms of tonal balance? Maybe I should start a new thread. It's just that the rs-1 sounded tonally pretty balanced, in fact a little bassy, out of a io karma. Will the new 325 be similar for my new zen, or brighter/darker?

Jan 23, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #213 of 257
I would suggest you go through the Taiwanese Alessandro dealers. You get a very polite and quick staff who ship your cans right away. (for cheaper) I always hate dealing with Alessandro/Grado. It took one month to get my 225's shipped back from repairs (from the date they received them)

Jan 23, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #214 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchris
I would suggest you go through the Taiwanese Alessandro dealers. You get a very polite and quick staff who ship your cans right away. (for cheaper) I always hate dealing with Alessandro/Grado. It took one month to get my 225's shipped back from repairs (from the date they received them)

Wow, I hope I never have to send any of my Grados in for repair. But I try to baby them so hopefully it won't be a problem.

As for the person debating over the Alessandros, I'd highly suggest trying to stick it out and/or buying them from the dealer in Taiwan if need be. I can't tell you how much I adore my MS-2 at this point! They are worth every penny and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Jan 23, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #215 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
The mids and highs on the 325i's are great. But there is a hump in the bass. They will pick up and portray the lowest of lows really well...but there is a frequency somewhere before really low that they don't represent very well...or maybe the 225's just exagerated this range and I'm used to it. If the 325i's didn't have this hump in the bass I would probably never buy another pair of headphones...but as it is...the 225's are more balanced. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some improvements in the "hump" with more break-in.

Any updates?

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #216 of 257
Anyone heard back from Alessandro Headphones whether they are selling the new or old MS-2? I emailed them at least a week ago, still no reply. What is it with some vendors taking their sweet time getting back to you or not getting back to you at all? I might as well have someone pick up the MS-2 for me on their way to HK.

/rant

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #217 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchris

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Wow, I hope I never have to send any of my Grados in for repair. But I try to baby them so hopefully it won't be a problem.

As for the person debating over the Alessandros, I'd highly suggest trying to stick it out and/or buying them from the dealer in Taiwan if need be. I can't tell you how much I adore my MS-2 at this point! They are worth every penny and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

agreed. hifi.com.tw have excellent customer service. and fwiw, they reply really quick to emails too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #219 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
Based on the chatter here (and my own research), I splurged and just now got my SR325's (new style) in the mail from Todd.

I'll write up a pre-break-in review later, but get this -- these aren't gold colored! The letters have gold highlighting, but the phones are definitely neutral aluminum. I'll include pics with the review.

These definitely look classier than the urine-colored Grados -- and they're actually kind of comfortable.

confused.gif

I thought the new model only came in gold... are you sure you have the new one?

J|!

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #221 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnd
Sorry we're getting a little off subject, but if can't read their language how do you know how much, order, etc.?

Well when google can't translate it I think the easiest way is to look at the status bar. It will always be in english so in the www.hifi.com.tw case it says: http://www.hifi.com.tw/adm_static/ad_order.php Click on that one at the top and then it sayss english version. Click that and bingo, english ordering instructions/info. I'm going to email them about the new ms-2, because alessandro US are annoying me.

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #223 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnd
Any updates?

Well, I spent all weekend going back and forth with these and my 225's trying to figure out which ones I will keep and which I will sell. They are so different I don't know if I will ever make up my mind. But as far as the break-in is going...the bass hump is still there...but the brightness has been taken down a notch. These are amazing for acoustic recordings or jazz vocals. For rock I think I still prefer the 225's. I'm going to the Chicago meet this weekend and I'm hoping there will be a pair of the new MS-2's there so I can compare. The financial responsible thing to do would be to try and sell either the 225's or the 325i's at the meet...but I don't know if I will be able to bring myself to do it. I'm going to try the 325's with Ray's sr-71 and maybe that will help me make up my mind. Oh, and I'm not a real fan of gold but these do look pretty sharp in person. And as someone else said they are very heavy (almost as heavy as the ps-1's).

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #224 of 257
Thanks for the update. How is the level of detail compared to the 225? Also, regarding that "hump" - are you saying the bass is not as impactful or are you saying it is just different?

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #225 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnd
Thanks for the update. How is the level of detail compared to the 225? Also, regarding that "hump" - are you saying the bass is not as impactful or are you saying it is just different?

The level of detail they have over the 225's is immediately noticeable. Another weird thing is that they appear to be louder than the 225's at the same volume.

The best way that I can describe the bass "hump" is this:

Say you were listening to a song that had a bass guitar and a deep beat from an analog drum machine-

225's -
Bass guitar would come through rather strong and deep but kinda muddy and the drum beat would be deep and kinda "boomy".

325i's -
Bass guitar would so clear you could hear the string rattling but the bass from it wouldn't affect you like it does in the 225's...the drum beat would be deep, accurate and fast.

Sorry that's the best way I can describe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back