Grados sounding bright
Aug 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #16 of 33
Oh yes do try the tape mod suggested by Rav. You may be able to find information by doing a search "tape mod" in these forum. I tried that before and it definitely make for a fuller sound, at the expense of losing some crispiness, airiness and resolution. I eventually found the compromise too much for cans at this price, but they may do for you.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #18 of 33
I'm not sure how much you could change the sound with mods, but as others pointed out, you've described the Grado signature (I wasn't crazy over my 225i for the same reasons). My ears were left ringing more often than not because I was turning up the volume to hear more bass or the highs wore me out. I think you'd be happier selling them and buying something like a Sennheiser 650/700 or HiFiman HE-400, depending if you want a relaxed/lush with bass sound or retain the most crispness with solid, textured bass.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Is there any chance a different headphone amp might tame them, or is better to go for something else? I can probably sell them for what I paid for them. If that's the case, what would you recommend I try instead?

In terms of research, I read a few posts where people with a similar (Linn) setup to me seemed to like them. I saw a cheap pair and bought them.

imho try another heaphone unless you're willing to eq them alot
i have a grado sr60i- used them with fiio e17 with +10 bass fixes the bass problem
they still sound harsh in the highs but i dont really like the grado sound since it doesnt work with the music i listen to

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 33
If you are new to headphones, I would suggest looking into the JVC HA-S500. While you may found these to have a diminished scale and resolution compared with the Grado, it retains a good measure of the RS2i cripiness and timbre while noticably smoother and more balanced, and it goes for $50 only so even if you don't like them you got yourself not much to lose. Don't assume the Grado is necessarily superior because it is several times more expensive, the Grado has too strong a character to be liked or disliked. Chances are you may find the JVC is all you needed.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #21 of 33
The easiest and cheapest way to get more quality bass and lower treble out of your RS2i is to get an old Fisher solid state stereo amp - the headphone out is pretty damn good and without EQ has large amounts of bass and a seemingly recessed high range - these make my RS2i's sound REALLY good.

Ditching them so early without matching them to the right equipment would be a total waste of a MASSIVELY underrated headphone. The RS2i is ignored and even bad-mouthed too often on these forums, but when paired up with the right equipment it REALLY sings, even for it's price.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #22 of 33
I agree. I could have waited for a friend to pick some up in the US, but I had pre I needed to sell so I used the money try out the Grados. I've seen what used ones go for here so I don't think I'll lose much. They do look (and sound, to be honest) like they are worth about £50. I'm still hoping for a suggestion of an alternative with a little more grace.

What do you want, realistically, out of a pair of headphones? For some reason I'm imaging the truth is along the lines of "tons of boom-boom bass" - and I do have some suggestions there (since you said the RS-2 are "thin" and in actuality they're closer to "average" in terms of bass impact and extension). I'm seeing something like an Ultrasone PROline in your future to be honest, if you think the Grado RS is "thin."

And if I sound a little annoyed, it's because I am - there's a big difference between something not being to your preference, and something sucking. I'm also not at all a fan of the "Headphone Reprice Game." There is no need to denigrate or bring a whole lot of bad vibes with you - you blindly bought something that doesn't fit you (and you overpaid in the process), learn from the mistake and move on. I'm really not trying to stir an argument with you here, but the entire premise of this thread just smacks of "I did no research."

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 33
I recently bought a pair Grado RS2is. [...] Are Grados known for sounding harsh and thin?

Somewhat. I've owned the SR60, SR80, SR225, and RS2. I found the RS2 to be the least harsh sounding of the bunch. Many people find the RS2 more lush and laid-back than the RS1 even, but I haven't had a chance to A/B them myself.

You may simply not enjoy the Grado house sound, but you could try the s-cush pads.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
I'm not sure how much you could change the sound with mods, but as others pointed out, you've described the Grado signature (I wasn't crazy over my 225i for the same reasons). My ears were left ringing more often than not because I was turning up the volume to hear more bass or the highs wore me out. I think you'd be happier selling them and buying something like a Sennheiser 650/700 or HiFiman HE-400, depending if you want a relaxed/lush with bass sound or retain the most crispness with solid, textured bass.

Yeah, a HD600/650 or HE-400 is probably more to your liking (which is pretty much the opposite sound signature). They should both be cheaper than what you paid too.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #25 of 33
Sorry if my comment annoyed you.

I don't think I came with any bad vibes and wasn't the first to suggest they seem a little pricey. I was just asking for opinions and suggestions. I associate harsh detail with low end equipment and was quite surprised how little I enjoyed them. Hence the question as to whether this is normal.

I'm not a "boom-boom bass" person. What I don't like is aggressive treble. I have my tweeters gained downed a step because of it. I honestly wouldn't call what I am hearing "average" in terms of balance. This is pretty much the first time I have ever put on a pair of headphones and found them uncomfortable to listen to.

I completely understand what you mean about someone saying something sucks. One of my dealers refers to B&W speakers as "boom boom, shake the room." I guess it's fair enough that he doesn't like them, but that doesn't mean they are rubbish. Again, sorry that my comment offended you. I'm sure you understand that finding the right balance in Hi-Fi can often be a frustrating process.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #26 of 33
I don't think I came with any bad vibes and wasn't the first to suggest they seem a little pricey. I was just asking for opinions and suggestions. I associate harsh detail with low end equipment and was quite surprised how little I enjoyed them. Hence the question as to whether this is normal.

The best suggestion really is to just get something else. Grado headphones are characteristically colored, bright, and forward. I would not call them "harsh" though - there is no clash-trash in the top-end.

I'm not a "boom-boom bass" person. What I don't like is aggressive treble. I have my tweeters gained downed a step because of it. I honestly wouldn't call what I am hearing "average" in terms of balance. This is pretty much the first time I have ever put on a pair of headphones and found them uncomfortable to listen to.

In terms of headphones, at least when you get into audiophile-type sets, Grados have a relatively average amount of bass impact. It isn't excessive, like you'll find in most contemporary modern gear (e.g. the Beats Pro), and it isn't truly thin/withdrawn, like you could expect from a K701 or MDR-F1. Headphones are much different from speakers in terms of presentation, tonal balance, etc. If you want a lot of bass (which is what I'm reading when you call them "thin") I'm going to steer you towards something with a lot of boost. That isn't "bad" though - there are plenty of headphones that have a lot of boost that aren't throwing out gobs of distortion in the process (versus speakers, where tons of bass usually means mud).

I completely understand what you mean about someone saying something sucks. One of my dealers refers to B&W speakers as "boom boom, shake the room." I guess it's fair enough that he doesn't like them, but that doesn't mean they are rubbish. Again, sorry that my comment offended you. I'm sure you understand that finding the right balance in Hi-Fi can often be a frustrating process.

I would agree with your dealer. :evil: The problem when you get into headphones, versus speakers, is that you never really get "neutral" or "flat-ish" the same way as a speaker will give you. You usually go from fairly bass-light, to fairly bass-heavy, and there's very few stop-over points in-between (Grado being one of them, but the coloration is not for everyone). If they are "thin" to you, look for something with a lot more bass, like the Bose QC15 (the ANC is fairly uncanny though), Kenwood KH-K1000 (very heavy), or perhaps the ATH-ESW9 (if the on-ear fit doesn't bother you, and you get a genuine pair). All of those have rolled-down treble, and somewhat keyed up bass impact. They aren't mud though - it's all very controlled. But it's quite different if your frame of reference is speakers (and to those three, I can think of no good speaker analogs).

And you didn't really offend me, just a slight annoyance - you've managed to pick one of the most characteristically bright headphones on the market (ostensibly as your first pair of high-end headphones), and you're upset about that - I just don't get it. But I kind of assume that "everyone" knows Grado makes bright headphones, and that's probably highly inaccurate. :xf_eek:

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #27 of 33
Thanks for taking the time to write that, and thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

It's not so much a lack of bass that's the issue; it's the brightness relative to the mids. You're right that not everyone knows they are known for it 
smile.gif

If we take midrange as the pivot (as most of the music is there) and compare the bass and treble relative to it, I would say that (for me):

My ideal is:
Bass 5 or maybe 6
Mid 5
Treble 4

My all Linn Hi-Fi is:
Bass 5
Mid 5
Treble 5

B&W 800 series are:
Bass 6 or 7
Mid 5
Treble 5

The Grados (in my setup) are:
Bass 4
Mid 5
Treble 7 or 8

Does that sound about right?

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #28 of 33
Like i said earlier, different pads will affect the sound quite a bit.

One thing that i don't think has been asked (or i missed it) is what music you are listening to?

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #29 of 33
I can't seem to find much information on pads or where to get them. Maybe they're a little rare in the UK.

I listen to quite a variation of things, but mostly 60s-90s rock/pop. I never have a problem with classical/opera. I guess it's the lack of constant cymbals.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #30 of 33
I can't seem to find much information on pads or where to get them. Maybe they're a little rare in the UK.

I listen to quite a variation of things, but mostly 60s-90s rock/pop. I never have a problem with classical/opera. I guess it's the lack of constant cymbals.

Hi, all of the official grado pads can bought through amazon uk easily enough, just search for 'grado pads'. You can pick up s-cushions (aka comfies) for around £15.

As another poster said, the 'flats' can only be obtained from Todd The Vinyl Junkie . For an approximation of how they will alter the sound, try putting your stock bowl pads on backwards, so the flat rear rests against your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back